Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

How did you discover G1?

Can't find a category for your topic? Post your Transformers General Discussions here!

How did you discover G1?

Postby Sabrblade » Tue May 31, 2011 12:01 pm

How and when did you first discover the first generation of the Transformers franchise?

Those of you who were children at the time probably found it like most kids did: by watching on TV with the other 1980s cartoons and/or purchasing the toys/comics from you local toy/comic stores.

But, what about those of you who were either too young or not yet born then to experience the Generation 1 series? How did you come to learn of its existence even after its end in 1992?
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Re: How did you discover G1?

Postby ironrod prime » Tue May 31, 2011 12:21 pm

i caught glimpses of the g2 reruns and later i watched the entire series on youtube including the rebirth
ironrod prime

Postby Wing Saber » Tue May 31, 2011 12:26 pm

Well, I had been watching the Unicron Trilogy, barely knowing of the existence of other variations of Transformers. I don't remember which came first, but there are two different ways:
1. I discovered that there was a Transformers movie at Blockbuster, so I rented it
2. renting 4-episode dvds from blockbuster
These aren't really how I discovered it, but merely how I first watched it.
Wing Saber

Postby TriPredRavage » Tue May 31, 2011 12:28 pm

I kind of didn't. I watched the G2 reruns as a kid and had some G2 figures. Then Beast Wars was on TV and I knew about the original series, but didn't know much. Then I went about and got it all on DVD. It's a pretty lame story.
TriPredRavage

Postby Sabrblade » Tue May 31, 2011 1:51 pm

My history of discovering G1 is a bit more complicated, full of misconceptions and false assumptions.

It was Beast Wars that got me introduced to the TF franchise before any other. At the time, I had a friend who had told me that there used to be another show called just "Transformers" (as opposed to "Beast Wars: Transformers", which was what I only knew of at the time), and that that show had the characters called "Autobots" and "Decepticons", who turned into vehicles (cars and trucks for the good guys, and jets and tanks for the bad guys) instead of animals, and were the giant ancestors of the Maximals and Predacons (who were more human-sized). And that the Autobots' leader was called "Optimus Prime" instead of " Optimus Primal", and that he turned into a truck, large enough for a person sit inside. This info intrigued me, but I didn't look into it any further since Beast Wars was what really appealed to me at the time.

Some short time after this, the Machine Wars toyline started showing up at KB Toys and, because these toys matched everything that had been told to me before (with the exception of the toys being called "Machine Wars: Transformers" instead of just "Transformers"), I assumed that these were rereleases of the older characters that were the ancestors of Beast Wars cast, and that my friend got his info wrong on the series being called just "Transformers" instead of "Machine Wars: Transformers". At that time, I assumed that Machine Wars was G1. I now look back and chuckle at that mistake. :lol:

Though, I gradually began to notice that some things did not add up. Like, when the episode where Starscream possessed Waspinator reaired, I noticed how Starscream in that episode's flashbacks looked different from the Machine Wars Starscream toy. And then much later, when "The Agenda" three-parter aired, I noticed how Ravage was described as being a former Decepticon and yet had no Machine Wars toy. And in the third part of that three-part episode, I saw how G1 Optimus Prime barely resembled his Machine Wars toy counterpart as well (at that time, I also thought the idea of mouthplates was silly, since none of the BW cast had them--I assumed Optimus Primal's was just a "mouth cover" that he wore only when necessary; and the Machine Wars Prime toy didn't have a mouthplate either). And finally, during the season 3 episode "Master Blaster", I caught how the original Megatron in that episode didn't look that much like his Machine Wars toy either. So, what did I tell myself to make sense of all these discrepencies? I simply brushed them off as cartoon mistakes and took the Machine Wars version as the "correct" versions (and assumed that Ravage had been a non-toy character, or that his toy was not included in the Machine Wars "rereleases"). Silly naive me. :lol:

Finally, circa 2001, Beast Machines was coming to a close and I had by then forgotten about the short-lived Machine Wars toyline and then came to see the first commercials for a new cartoon called "Transformers: Robots in Disguise". Such a name and look resurfaced memories of old. Memories of what I had been told before of a series just called "Transformers". I saw that, to me, the Optimus Prime in this show looked close enough to the one seen in the Ark during Beast Wars, but I still figured that that Megatron lying in the Ark was animation error. After seeing these commercials for and episode 1 of RiD, I assumed once again that this was G1, and that the whole "Decepticon" thing had been some kind of mistake (since the main bad guys here were still Predacons). Yes, I had then momentarily forgotten about Ravage and the stasis locked Decepticons on the Ark in BW. But then when they introduced the Decepticons for real in RiD, I retreated my previous assumption and just figured that the Decepticons would later become the dominant faction later on, with the Preds disappearing and new Preds showing up again later as the Decepticons' descendants.

By 2002, however, my belief of RiD having been G1 was ultimately killed by two factors.
1. Hasbro.com began promoting a new series called "Transformers: Armada", and I was like "Huh? What is this? I thought they already had a show like this. Why are they making another series with Autobots and Decepticons? Is this a sequel or something?"
2. I stumbled upon VHS tapes of a show called "The Original Transformers" at a local video store. I later picked up a few, watched'em, read the back cover descriptions of how these were episode from a 1980s cartoon, and gradually came to understand that this was the original series after all, and that both Machine Wars and RiD were just their own things.

Once I came to understand how the concept of reboots worked, I was able to warm up better to Armada than my initial reactions had been. Though, this was still long before the Armada cartoon came out. After having watched a fair number of G1 video tapes, I began to notice some fanwank references added in to the RiD cartoon, like how RiD Optimus and RiD Ultra Magnus were built by "Alpha Trion", and how RiD Optimus had been given "the Matrix" by "Vector Sigma".

Since then, I went on to collect the Kid Rhino DVD sets of G1 around 2003-2004 and watched them all from start to finish. And having watched the G1 movie during this DVD watch, I finally understood who Unicron was and what his appearances in Beast Wars were about. That fake flashback with him killing Starscream and his giant golden head being projected by the Vok finally made sense to me.

So, yeah, if it hadn't been for Armada and Kid Rhino, I'd probably still be in the dark about the true nature of G1. ^_^'

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Wing Saber » Tue May 31, 2011 2:00 pm

Sabrblade wrote: if it hadn't been for Armada and Kid Rhino, I'd probably still be in the dark about the true nature of G1. ^_^'

If it hadn't been for Armada, I probably wouldn't have discovered Transformers until 2007!
Wing Saber

Postby darbble » Tue May 31, 2011 7:19 pm

I like this thread. Good story, Sabrblade!

My story of introduction to G1 Transformers includes 2 parts - mine and my kids' stories:

I'm one of the "old guys" that was warmed up to Transformers by the GoBots, and then introduced to them through the Transformers cartoons. From the first Transformers cartoon I saw, I was hooked. Christmases and birthdays for the next several years were chalked full of Transformers requests. The last Transformer that I got was in the late 80's or early 90's. It was Sixshot (the Decepticon that turned into 6 different things).

After that, many years went by. I never really got into the other Transformers series - I guess I was a bit stubborn in my old ways. All the toys that I had as a kid, were slowly given away, lost, or tossed.

In 2006, I saw a trailer for the first Transformers movie, directed by Michael Bay. Honestly, my first reaction was, "Uck... that looks nothing like the Transformers that I remember." But, my career and interests revolve around the CG world, so I decided to see it for the visual quality value. I'm glad I did, because I ended up liking it.

Right before the second movie came out, I was at the store with my wife, and saw the leader class Optimus Prime toy from the ROTF line. I couldn't believe how cool it looked. I turned to my wife and said, "I want it." My birthday was close, so that's what she got me.

Once I pulled my new Optimus toy out of the box and looked at the instructions, I knew I was in trouble. This was a far cry from the 4 to 6 step transformations I remembered on the toys that I had as a kid. I was pretty intimidated, but was determined to transform this thing. About an hour later, I did it! I transformed Optimus into his truck mode! Not only that, but I was addicted! I was addicted to the feeling of accomplishiment when it was transformed; I was addicted to the look of each character in robot and vehicle mode; and I was addicted to the technical brilliance that went into designing and creating each toy.

While my love for Transformers was being reignited, I could also see an interest spark with my 3 kids. I introduced them to the recently released movie. They loved it! Soon, the toy collecting started as something fun to do with my kids.

As our collecting started to get more extensive, I started becoming interested in obtaining a few of the original G1 toys. One day, I was online, looking at a picture of the G1 Optimus Prime. My daughter asked me who it was. When I told her it was Optimus, I could tell that she was disgusted and she said that he looked nothing like him (her only knowledge of Optimus was from the Michael Bay movies). I explained to her that back when I was a little boy, there was a Transformers cartoon that I used to watch, and that the movies that she had seen were copying those cartoons. She was interested and wanted to see what they were like when I was little.

So, I bought the first season of Transformers on DVD and the kids and I went on a Transformers marathon. At first, the kids seemed a little disturbed by how simple and different the characters were (compared to the movie characters). But, it didn't take long before they grew attached to the originals and were asking to see more, as well as wanting the toys from that series.

And, that's the long story of 2 generations of Transformers lovers.
darbble

Postby skywarp408 » Tue May 31, 2011 8:33 pm

I found it by watching the show on tv after school in 1984.
skywarp408

Postby Wing Saber » Tue May 31, 2011 8:53 pm

Sabrblade wrote:How and when did you first discover the first generation of the Transformers franchise?

Those of you who were children at the time probably found it like most kids did: by watching on TV with the other 1980s cartoons and/or purchasing the toys/comics from you local toy/comic stores.

But, what about those of you who were either too young or not yet born then to experience Generation 1 series? How did you come to learn of its existence even after its end in 1992?

Just a question, is this only for how we discovered G1, or how we discovered Transformers as well?
Wing Saber

Postby Sabrblade » Tue May 31, 2011 9:11 pm

Wing Saber wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:How and when did you first discover the first generation of the Transformers franchise?

But, what about those of you who were either too young or not yet born then to experience Generation 1 series? How did you come to learn of its existence even after its end in 1992?

Just a question, is this only for how we discovered G1, or how we discovered Transformers as well?
G1 specifically, since not every fan was fortunate enough to have experienced the first series during its heyday. ;)

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Next

Return to Transformers - General Discussion