Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Voice Acting

Can't find a category for your topic? Post your Transformers General Discussions here!

Voice Acting

Postby Lord Megatron » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:39 pm

Alright, I've really, really been wanting to get into the voice acting career here for a while now but I just hadn't had the time. I'm going to require an agent, a lot of confidence, and some well-developed skin to prevent criticism. The only thing that I'm not sure about is if I require years in college or not as I'm kind of in a hurry. :| Would someone on this board be kind enough to point me in the right direction?
"He has no time for the dull roots at his feet, the buds on their roots, their promise... no time. It is the most beautiful flower in the field that he wants."
Lord Megatron

Re: Voice Acting

Postby Sabrblade » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:32 pm

I'd say you'd might want to start off taking some performing arts classes, speaking classes, and maybe attend an acting school.

When it comes to voice acting, you can't just sound good, you have to 'feel' the character you're voicing. Your body language is also key to this method. Usually, it's better to go for the kind of stuff that actors (not just voice actors) go for. Most voice actors have made live appearances on shows and movies as well as being the voice behind animated characters.

It also might help to take some communication courses, like in radio or something.

I know all this becuase I too am interested in voice acting (though, I think I--and you--ought to be more than just voices).

Plus, I think there's one more person here besides you and me that's also interested in this occupation.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Lord Megatron » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:45 pm

Thanks Sabr!

I have a lot of confidence that I will succeed in my career. I started to gain interest in voice acting back a few years ago but I've been doing voices for a long time. I never really thought that I could ever spin a career off of doing voices! :lol:

I remember when I was younger, playing with my Beast Wars TM Megatron and trying to imitate his voice so that I could boss the other Predacons around(Rampage, Dinobot II, Tarantulas, etc.).

Anyways, the main reason that I asked was because with one year left of school, I feel that I really need to start asserting myself and start searching while I'm still young so that I don't end up like my parents. My parents are struggling because of their occupations being so fragile with the way that economy is today. I really don't want to end up that way, so I figured I'd come to you guys for assistance.
"He has no time for the dull roots at his feet, the buds on their roots, their promise... no time. It is the most beautiful flower in the field that he wants."
Lord Megatron

Postby chrombot » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:45 pm

Making a career out of voice acting will not be easy. Basically, you have to hit it big to be able to do it. I live in the bay area and there's a few places that offer classes in areas. I would recommend you look into radio or TV for sure. One class in my area I've thought abotu taking is actually taught by the voice of launchpad from duck tales. What I hear is, people do voice acting and another job, as they dont get steady work in voice acting. Unless of course you make it and have a wide range.
Having experience in recording and being on mic would be good, you'll get that in radio.
chrombot

Postby Lord Megatron » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:29 am

My only problem is my location. There aren't any studios nearby, in fact I think the closest one to me is in Chicago and that'd be a 5-6 hour drive. I'm not sure what I could do as a part-time job. My parents are dead-set on getting me into animation. The only bad thing about that is that while I enjoy drawing, I lack the expierience required by most animators. This and the fact that I've been focusing more on VA rather than Animation are the only reasons that seperate me from becoming involved in animation. I envy Derrick's work on Animated as far as the designing goes, very stylized! :ugeek:

Recently, I did a few sketches of my interpretation of an Animated Unicron and while it does lack in a lot of ranges, I still think the overall design would work.
Lord Megatron

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:49 am

Lord Megatron wrote:Recently, I did a few sketches of my interpretation of an Animated Unicron and while it does lack in a lot of ranges, I still think the overall design would work.
Except that Wyatt stated that there is no Unicron in the Animated universe.

chrombot wrote:I live in the bay area and there's a few places that offer classes in areas.
Which bay?
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby chrombot » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:45 pm

the one that comes up when you google bay area ;)
chrombot

Postby Lord Megatron » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:21 pm

Sabrblade wrote:
Lord Megatron wrote:Recently, I did a few sketches of my interpretation of an Animated Unicron and while it does lack in a lot of ranges, I still think the overall design would work.
"Except that Wyatt stated that there is no Unicron in the Animated universe."

I just meant as a "what if" character. He doesn't look as bulky as he usually is, he looks as if he went on a Grape Fruit Diet. :lol:
Lord Megatron

Postby Blasten Blaster » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:59 pm

I say you do like Littlekuriboh, TeamFourStar, Megami33 and all the other Famous YouTube adbriders and do a good one of TRANSFORMERS whether its of G1 or animated IDC it needs to be good. By doing this your sorta building a name for your self and have some work to take to studios/producers and will be more likely to hire you.
More great souds comin' your way!
Blasten Blaster

Postby Lord Megatron » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:40 pm

Blasten Blaster wrote:I say you do like Littlekuriboh, TeamFourStar, Megami33 and all the other Famous YouTube adbriders and do a good one of TRANSFORMERS whether its of G1 or animated IDC it needs to be good. By doing this your sorta building a name for your self and have some work to take to studios/producers and will be more likely to hire you.

Way ahead of you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q3F6Z3NiuY

This was done a while ago for a Transformers stop-motion series and over a crappy computer mic.

Ah, I watched a little of that TeamFourStar's Dragonball Abridged ep. 10 and OMG! It had me laughing the whole way through.
Lord Megatron

Next

Return to Transformers - General Discussion