Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Voice Acting

Can't find a category for your topic? Post your Transformers General Discussions here!

Re: Voice Acting

Postby TriPredRavage » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:14 pm

Sabrblade wrote:I
Plus, I think there's one more person here besides you and me that's also interested in this occupation.

Are you talking about me, Sabr?

Actually, the reason that I've been so absent (at least since summer has started) is because I'm fully pursuing Voice Acting. It's taking up a lot of my time these days, and I have yet to do anything that's professional, but I'm working on a few original projects, which technically speaking makes them "official". It's pretty cool being an official voice for something, I've gotta say. It feels pretty weird though that my first post on the Unicron.com Forums is about VAing after that's all I've been doing lately, lol.

Anyway, a lot of what has been said is truth. VAing is great, but it's pretty much always a part-time job. The way that I am pursuing the field is I am studying Film and Speech Communications in college (only one more year to go!), all the while, I don't hide the fact that this is what I want to pursue. My professors know it and I'm known for doing voices around school. An Important thing to realize is that ANYBODY could be a contact.

I have a lot more advice I could give, but my post is already getting kinda long. If this is SERIOUSLY something you want to pursue and put yourself through, feel free to send me an email and we can discuss some of the finer details. But, yes, definitely practice acting and get good at it. That's probably square one.
TriPredRavage

Postby Lord Megatron » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:05 pm

Good to hear from you TPR! ANY information you have would be highly valuable in my case. My only problem as of now is my location, which is in that god-awful spit of land known as Missouri. According to numerous searches, theres not one recording studio anywhere near me! In fact the closest one is in Chicago and Chicago is already at least a 5-hour-drive from my residence.
But I will be sure to contact you as I need all the help that I can get!
"He has no time for the dull roots at his feet, the buds on their roots, their promise... no time. It is the most beautiful flower in the field that he wants."
Lord Megatron

Postby TriPredRavage » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:11 pm

Thanks for the warm welcom, LM. Glad to finally make my pressence known, lol. I'd be glad to help in any way I can.
TriPredRavage

Postby Lord Megatron » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:51 pm

TriPredRavage wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome, LM. Glad to finally make my pressence known, lol. I'd be glad to help in any way I can.

No prob, I'd like to know exactly what kind of requirements are needed in order to persue my career as I don't have any plans for college. Is there a way to avoid the years of college and go straight for the occupation? I am aware that I will need an agent and some voice training but what kind of other obstacles can I expect to come across?
"He has no time for the dull roots at his feet, the buds on their roots, their promise... no time. It is the most beautiful flower in the field that he wants."
Lord Megatron

Postby TriPredRavage » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:08 pm

Lord Megatron wrote:No prob, I'd like to know exactly what kind of requirements are needed in order to persue my career as I don't have any plans for college. Is there a way to avoid the years of college and go straight for the occupation? I am aware that I will need an agent and some voice training but what kind of other obstacles can I expect to come across?

Okay, here's the thing, don't go into it thinking that an agent is the first step. Far from. You seem to be aware that you are going to have to live by the phrase "spend money to earn money," but that's a lot of money without a lot of foundation as of yet. As for not going to college; possible? Yes. But a college education would certainly help. Especially if you majored in acting/communications.

Here's the thing, a lot of the pros will tell you that they worked in the industry for about TEN YEARS before they made it "big". And we're only talking having the ability to go to auditions and getting parts, not being a name that just get's called up for parts. Steve Blum has been working in the industry for about 25+ years and he's only recently become one of those names that everybody knows, so don't think you'll be there in a year or two. You'd have to be not only incredibly tallented, but INCREDIBLY lucky as well. Essentially, that's impossible.

My advice: youtube is a great tool. Watch as many videos about VA as possible. Learn different roles that voice actors have played and see how they made different voices for the different characters. Try and figure out how they did it, and then try and impliment those techniques into your voice acting.

Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL7Zk_YldYA
It teaches some terminology and some of the secrets to VA.

Get a good mic. I personally have a crappy headset mic, but I know its limitations and can produce some really good quality recordings with it. BUT I am going to have to get a better mic soon. So get a good one.

Download the program Audacity: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
Audacity is an audio program that a lot of amateur voice actors (or AVAs for short) live by.
You will also need to download the LAME MP3 Encoder: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/fa ... i=lame-mp3
I know that sounds like a joke, but it's true. Without the encoder, you won't be able to produce MP3s, you'll only be able to to make WAV files.

Once you've done all of that, SEND ME AN EMAIL. I'll advice you on what's next and give you some more personal advice there.
TriPredRavage

Postby Lord Megatron » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:54 pm

TriPredRavage wrote:
Lord Megatron wrote:No prob, I'd like to know exactly what kind of requirements are needed in order to persue my career as I don't have any plans for college. Is there a way to avoid the years of college and go straight for the occupation? I am aware that I will need an agent and some voice training but what kind of other obstacles can I expect to come across?

Okay, here's the thing, don't go into it thinking that an agent is the first step. Far from. You seem to be aware that you are going to have to live by the phrase "spend money to earn money," but that's a lot of money without a lot of foundation as of yet. As for not going to college; possible? Yes. But a college education would certainly help. Especially if you majored in acting/communications.

Here's the thing, a lot of the pros will tell you that they worked in the industry for about TEN YEARS before they made it "big". And we're only talking having the ability to go to auditions and getting parts, not being a name that just get's called up for parts. Steve Blum has been working in the industry for about 25+ years and he's only recently become one of those names that everybody knows, so don't think you'll be there in a year or two. You'd have to be not only incredibly tallented, but INCREDIBLY lucky as well. Essentially, that's impossible.

My advice: youtube is a great tool. Watch as many videos about VA as possible. Learn different roles that voice actors have played and see how they made different voices for the different characters. Try and figure out how they did it, and then try and impliment those techniques into your voice acting.

Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL7Zk_YldYA
It teaches some terminology and some of the secrets to VA.

Get a good mic. I personally have a crappy headset mic, but I know its limitations and can produce some really good quality recordings with it. BUT I am going to have to get a better mic soon. So get a good one.

Download the program Audacity: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
Audacity is an audio program that a lot of amateur voice actors (or AVAs for short) live by.
You will also need to download the LAME MP3 Encoder: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/fa ... i=lame-mp3
I know that sounds like a joke, but it's true. Without the encoder, you won't be able to produce MP3s, you'll only be able to to make WAV files.

Once you've done all of that, SEND ME AN EMAIL. I'll advice you on what's next and give you some more personal advice there.

Will do! :D
I just downloaded audacity, it's a lot of fun. I'm still trying to figure out all of the features though.
I'm suprised that it still supported my crappy Windows Me!
Lord Megatron

Previous

Return to Transformers - General Discussion