Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Wing Saber's Art thread

Can't find a category for your topic? Post your Transformers General Discussions here!

Wing Saber's Art thread

Postby Wing Saber » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:59 pm

I have decided to take a swing at Transformers art, and so this is my thread
I have just finished Beast Machines Thrust's head
This is the image I used for reference:
Attachments
Thrust Head.jpg
Wing Saber

Re: Wing Saber's Art thread

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:13 pm

I presume this is a work in progress, yes?

Why so much shadow?
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:38 pm

hey its better than mine

ironrod prime

Postby Wing Saber » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:05 pm

Sabrblade wrote:I presume this is a work in progress, yes?

Sort of, that's all I'm doing for now, because I'm not good enough to do his whole body yet. but once I become more experiences, then I'll likely finish him.
Sabrblade wrote:Why so much shadow?

Because that's what was shown in the picture

Also, do you think I should continue to use Paint, or give hand-drawing a try??
Wing Saber

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:48 pm

Wing Saber wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:Why so much shadow?

Because that's what was shown in the picture
'Kay. Was wondering why his face was black.

Wing Saber wrote:Also, do you think I should continue to use Paint, or give hand-drawing a try??
I'd say whichever you find to be easier for you would be the one to go with. Give'em both a try and see which one you like best.

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby cyberwuss » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:51 pm

Wing Saber wrote:Also, do you think I should continue to use Paint, or give hand-drawing a try??
Depends on how cheap you can get paper and stuff to practice with hand drawing. Hand drawing takes more practice and patience but is faster once you get used to it. If you stick with computer images Id suggest something more vector oriented than raster image based like paint is. Paint is a good tool once you know its ins and outs but almost every vector program will be 1000 times easier for line drawings. Examples of 2d vector programs are inkscape, adobe illustrator, and synfig studio. Only adobe costs money out of those 3 the other 2 are free downloads. If you have a decent PC give inkscape or synfig a try and see if you can get along with the vector tools. Also most 3d graphics tools are vector as well. The big thing with using vector over raster image editing software is that it is extremely easy to correct in the vector ones since you just click whatever line you messed up and can move its ends and middle around instead of having to manually erase and redraw the line. If you want to have a hand at 3d Id suggest art of illusion or blender. Art of Illusion is more likely to run well on any given set of hardware for a computer that has java on it while blender has some more advanced shape making features, but either one is good. There are tons of free art programs out there better than paint. Even using a raster editor gimp would be better because it has a tool that lets you set your line in position before you actually make the line itself. I will try to attach an image I was using for a Robot hero galvatron I had been trying to redo and finish but havent gotten around to completing in Art of Illusion. Anyway, the most important thing is practice, patience, and sticking with your project. Don't expect it to be done in like one night and don't be afraid to spread it out over a month if you have to, but in summary paint is bad unless you are really really good and know the program well :>

gfacea1.jpg
cyberwuss

Postby Wing Saber » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:54 pm

New hand-drawn picture of Shockwave!

Wing Saber

Postby Sabrblade » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:10 pm

Wing Saber wrote:New hand-drawn picture of Shockwave!

Image is broken. The file type doesn't match any image type.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Wing Saber » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:04 pm

Here's another try
Attachments
Shockwavedrawing.jpg
Wing Saber

Postby ironrod prime » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:01 pm

pretty good xept his eyes a little too big
ironrod prime