Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Wing Saber's Art thread

Can't find a category for your topic? Post your Transformers General Discussions here!

Re: Wing Saber's Art thread

Postby cyberwuss » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:05 pm

@Wing Saber, that is pretty good, probably better or at least as good as what I could do with a pencil and paper.

I will reiterate what I said again, you should give vector computer art programs a try, the easiest one to use for me is Art of Illusion.

http://www.artofillusion.org

It's what I made the galvatron head with I posted earlier.

It is a 3d program, so if you are just afraid of 3d being too hard or complex (it is actually quite easy) Id say try a 2d vector program, like inkscape.

http://www.inkscape.org

The advantage of vector programs is the ability to make corrections without having to erase alot of the time, you can simply just grab the line you messed up and move it with the mouse to fix it.

You could probably make something five times cooler looking than the hand drawn shockwave on your first try in inkscape, and in half the time it took to hand draw it.

Art of Illusion would take a bit of reading the very simple handbook for the program, but the results would be even more spectacular, probably ten times or more as good as hand drawing.

Just a suggestion, if you really like the hand drawing best, more power to you!
The coward desires revenge but being afraid to die, he looks to others, maybe to the government of the day, to do the work of defense for him.
cyberwuss

Postby Wing Saber » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:50 pm

cyberwuss wrote:I will reiterate what I said again, you should give vector computer art programs a try,
What is that?
cyberwuss wrote:inkscape.

I actually have Inkscape, though I've never used it
Wing Saber

Postby cyberwuss » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:18 am

Wing Saber wrote:
cyberwuss wrote:I will reiterate what I said again, you should give vector computer art programs a try,
What is that?
cyberwuss wrote:inkscape.

I actually have Inkscape, though I've never used it

Wikipedia will explain vector art better than me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_Graphics

From the article on inkscape:

Every object in the drawing can be subjected to arbitrary affine transformations: moving, rotating, scaling, skewing and a configurable matrix. Transformation parameters can be also specified numerically via the Transform dialog. Transformations can snap to angles, grids, guidelines and nodes of other objects. Grids, guides and snapping properties are defined on a per-document basis. As an alternative to snapping, an Align and Distribute dialog is provided, which can perform common alignment tasks on selected objects: e.g. line them up in a specified direction, space them equally, scatter them at random and remove overlaps between objects.

Objects can be arbitrarily grouped together. Groups of objects behave in many respects like "atomic" objects: for instance, they can be cloned or assigned a paint. Objects making up a group can be edited without having to ungroup it first, via an Enter Group command: the group can then be edited like a temporary layer. Z-order of objects can be managed either using layers, or by manually moving the object up and down in the Z stack. Layers can be locked or hidden, preventing modifying and accidental selection.

A special tool, Create Tiled Clones, is provided to create symmetrical or grid-like drawings using various plane symmetries.

Objects can be cut, copied and pasted using a clipboard. However, as of version 0.46, Inkscape uses an internal variable rather than the system clipboard, which limits copy and paste operations to one application instance. Objects can be copied between documents by opening them from the File menu in an already opened window, rather than by opening a second file from the operating system's shell.

That basically means, you usually don't have to erase, just click and drag whatever you already put down :p

EDIT: Actually, since you have inkscape already, I'll just show you a youtube video covering the most basic beginner level aspects of drawing in it.

EDIT2: Here is a rather old one for art of illusion, it is a very basic video at 2 or 3 times normal speed, the video cuts to black at about 3 minutes, the guy is done with the project and just couldn't fit the song in or something I guess :D

Anyway, the main thing to explain about what he is doing is that instead of a single view of the front of what you are looking at, there are 4 views, the top left is front, top right is side, bottom left is top, and bottom right is the camera angle and preview of what the final picture shape will be close to.

The views are just so you can see the 3d shape from all angles while working on it.

This is a very simple shape, in a week if you read through the manual, you could easily make stuff much more complex.

I think the guy who made the video was just trying it out or something.

Another thing that is different slightly is the thing under the views, it is a timeline.

To explain, art of illusion can be used to make animations and videos. Inkscape only makes still shots. The timeline is how you position things to make a movie, but he doesn't use it in this.
The coward desires revenge but being afraid to die, he looks to others, maybe to the government of the day, to do the work of defense for him.
cyberwuss

Postby Wing Saber » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:49 pm

Currently working on Pre-Earth Armada Megatron, but I can't seem to get the face right.
Wing Saber

Postby Wing Saber » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:18 pm

Pre-Earth Armada Megatron. Been working on this for over two weeks. The face was very hard to get right

Wing Saber

Postby cyberwuss » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:52 pm

That is actually decent for someone who is fairly new to freehand and claims to have no art experience, (I believe it, just saying it is good for one without practice :p)
cyberwuss

Postby Wing Saber » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:51 pm

For reference, these are the pictures I used as guides:
Wing Saber

Postby starry* *night » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:20 am

Now that I got to see the Shockwave it is really good
since the link got fixed..

glad I was back to see it

and I like your Armada Megatron drawing, I know I would find him impossible to draw.
Don't change any of those front doors.
starry* *night

Postby Wing Saber » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:43 pm

For Geometry I had to do a dilation project, so I chose to do the following image of Shockwave:

Pre-color dilation:

Finished masterpeice:
Wing Saber

Postby cyberwuss » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:07 am

The dilation project is amazing!

If you keep up the pace you will be working with a comic company next!
cyberwuss

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers - General Discussion