Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Misconceptions we have made or heard of

Can't find a category for your topic? Post your Transformers General Discussions here!

Misconceptions we have made or heard of

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:02 am

Looking through the Misconceptions and urban legends about Transformers page on the TFWiki, I've been wondering what other misconceptions we as fans have made or heard of over the years.

I myself have made few, such as when I mistook both Machine Wars and RiD for G1 as a kid (as detailed here), but here's a new one for ya: I used to think that Cybertron was a character.

Back when Beast Wars was airing in the 90s, as I'd watch it, I'd often here the characters talking of something called "Cybertron". Since I did not know that it was their home planet, and since there were characters running around with names like "Megatron", "Tigatron", etc., I simply assumed that this "Cybertron" was also a character.

Though, the way they spoke of having to get "back to" Cybertron being of great importance, I assumed that that meant this Cybertron fellow was also someone important. Like an authority figure of some kind. But since both the Maximals and Predacons spoke of the urgency of reach Cybertron first, I figured that maybe this Cybertron was some kind of neutrally-aligned figure who would take the side of whichever team got to him and gained his favor first. Like, if the Maximals would reach him, they'd gain his favor and he'd help them destroy the Predacons. Or if the Preds got to him, they'd gain his favor and he'd help them crush the Maximals.

Now you may be asking me, "What about all the flashbacks and other scenes to Cybertron showing it to be their home planet?" Well, I simply took those scenes as showing their home, yes, but I did not make the connection of that place being called "Cybertron". I simply saw it more as just the place where the guy called Cybertron resided. Like his sanctuary or something.

So when Beast Wars ended and Beast Machines began, you can imagine my surprise when I saw that this "Cybertron" that they had been talking about all this time wasn't a person but a place. When the characters all left Earth in the Beast Wars finale, and then Beast Machines was announced, I was like, "Oh, cool! Now we might finally get to see who this Cybertron guy is!" BOY, was I wrong. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Though, thinking back on this, I guess it wasn't TOO off the mark for me to thought that, considering the whole aspect of Primus = Cybertron (and the TF: Cybertron cartoon making the planet be a character). Back then, I didn't know about Primus, so I guess what I thought back then about Cybertron could retroactively be considered a primitive concept of Primus that was completely unintentional and coincidental. :P

So, what about you? What misconceptions and false assumptions have you made or heard about the Transformers?
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Re: Misconceptions we have made

Postby ironrod prime » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:59 pm

well i dont have any personal misconseptions but id like to bring up two that i here alot

the first being the common believe that optimus primal and optimus prime are in fact the same character

and the other is just a minor bicker concerning energon constructicon maximus and the fact that some people assume his name is devistator maximus
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:01 pm

ironrod prime wrote:well i dont have any personal misconseptions but id like to bring up two that i here alot
Hmm, you make a good point. I've edited the first post to allow one's that we've heard of as well as ones that we've made.

ironrod prime wrote:the first being the common believe that optimus primal and optimus prime are in fact the same character
Ah yes, that one's a classic. Though, there is some leeway for it, since the original toy bios for their pre-Transmetal toys indicated that Primal and Megatron were the same as their G1 namesakes.

ironrod prime wrote:and the other is just a minor bicker concerning energon constructicon maximus and the fact that some people assume his name is devistator maximus
:lol: :lol: :lol:

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Re: Misconceptions we have made or heard of

Postby Wing Saber » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:39 pm

I started watching during Armada. Until Cybertron, I thought he was 'Octimus'
Wing Saber

Postby ironrod prime » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:48 pm

Sabrblade wrote:
ironrod prime wrote:and the other is just a minor bicker concerning energon constructicon maximus and the fact that some people assume his name is devistator maximus

i can understand why people would think that though seeing as how the other two were named superion and bruticus maximus
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:34 pm

Wing Saber wrote:I started watching during Armada. Until Cybertron, I thought he was 'Octimus'
You know, I think I thought that too for a while during Beast Wars season 1. Though, I think I pronouced a little harder like "Octomus". :lol:

ironrod prime wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:

i can understand why people would think that though seeing as how the other two were named superion and bruticus maximus
Yeah, the real reason for the name "Constructicon" instead of "Devastator" was due to the dub/Hasbro trying to emulate his Japanese name in Super Link "Buildron" (which is what the Constructicons--and the RiD Build Team--were known as in Japan).

As for why the Japanese didn't originally call him "Devastor" (Devastator's Japanese name) to begin with, it's the same reason that Energon Downshift wasn't named "Wheeljack": The name was already taken by an Armada/Micron Densetsu character. Armada Scavenger was using the name "Devastor" in Japan, so the guy who would later be based directly off Devastator couldn't use the name.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:08 am

that explains why he was rockin the colors that and the name was a dead give away
ironrod prime

Postby Agent X » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:55 pm

as a child my only exposure to Transformers was The Movie until Beast Wars.

as such the first few times i watched The Movie, I thought Optimus Prime was a bad guy because he had a mask
Immaturity is shown by not trying to understand others, but by judging others.
Agent X

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:26 pm

I remember hearing about one made by the fandom back in 2000. When the toy of Car Robots Fire Convoy (Japanese RiD Optimus Prime) was saying "Cybertron Senshi, Transform!" ("Autobot Warriors, Transform!"), people thought it was instead saying, "Hyper Goldfish! GOLFBALL!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:39 pm

theres the frenzy rumble mix up

and untill dotm alot of people believed baracade to be dead

and then theres the mystery of what happend to richies brother chuck oh wait sorry wrong show
ironrod prime

Next

Return to Transformers - General Discussion