Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Misconceptions we have made or heard of

Can't find a category for your topic? Post your Transformers General Discussions here!

Re: Misconceptions we have made or heard of

Postby mightwork » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:34 am

When I started watching Transformers (RID) for the first few epiodes I saw I thought Optimus's name WAS Megatron! I think it was because Megatron sounded more powerful to me and in the cartoon Optimus was pretty much always the more powerful of the two, or it may of been that 'Optimus Prime' was a bit difficult for my tiny preschool vocabulary to pronounce back in those early days :lol:
mightwork

Postby TriPredRavage » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:00 pm

We all know my most famous misconception: RiD is a divergent timeline from G1 caused by alterations made by the Beast Wars. When I first saw the trailer for RiD showcasing Autobots squaring off against Predacons, my 13 year old mind instantly put together that after Optimus Primal and Beast Megatron had merged their sparks with G1 Optimus Prime and Megatron, they had altered things. Thus, Optimus Prime now was a Fire Truck and had a Super Mode, and Megatron changed his faction to be Predacons.

Now, to tell you the truth, the final nail in the coffin that made me believe this was actually because RiD Megatron had taken on the form of a dragon, which Beast Megatron had done when he merged his spark with G1 Megatron. So, when I saw what RiD Megatron looked like, I instantly assumed that, when G1 Megatron's spark had been returned to his body, it mutated his superstructure to be a dragon as had happened to Beast Megatron. And seeing as the scene where G1 Megatron's spark was actually returned to his body was omitted from the final cut of Nemesis Part 3 (which I never saw the deleted scene until the old Rhino DVD set of season 3 came out), I had no reason to believe otherwise.

Over the years, Sabr and I have discussed this many times, and I am very aware that there are several continuity issues with this theory. But given that I was only 13 at the time and have almost no information of G1 (having only seen a few episodes from season 2 when they were playing as "G2" episodes when I was about 3 years old), I admittedly do still like the idea. It certainly makes RiD more interesting in my opinion. :lol:
TriPredRavage

Postby starry* *night » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:53 am

On the first page of My G1 Issue 2
I thought Rumble was Swindle

I'm sure no one else did though.
But that's what happens when you see TF backwards starting at Energon
\Armada-(toy catalogs)....
Last edited by starry* *night on Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't change any of those front doors.
starry* *night

Postby starry* *night » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:25 am

I saw a giant Optimus Prime
I don't know if he was from during some Re-releases
because it was the 90s.
But there is a Giant Optimus that is exactly G1-Styled.

They say it's a false rumor but My brother has had a normal sized one
for a very long time and we went on a trip with my dad pre-2000s
my friend Matt had one that was a minimum of half again the size
of the one my brother had and it's construction was largely similar as far as the joints
although I forget just how it's cab opened except that it was a bit more complicated than ours.
My memories of playing with it are clear as a bell, we had never visited that house before.

He may have had a small pepsi logo or sticker or some such thing or some mention of it in his manufacture information, which I read.
starry* *night

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:29 am

starry* *night wrote:I saw a giant Optimus Prime
There's been a lot of big Optimuses over the years. ;)
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby starry* *night » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:43 am

I was going to re-check exactly what they said but wiki is not connecting at this hour which sometimes happens to me.

I don't quite know what they are getting at on the tf wiki page
but they said giant G1 Optimus was a rumor
and wiki only mentions Korean ones and powemaster as a possible reason for the confusion
and a 2003 anniversary one which is wholly different from anything G1 style.

I think I had heard myself about a model that may have been larger being sold through pepsi
I just haven't positively seen a pepsi version in person, unless that's what my friend's
was so I don't know the pepsi version's size or what year it was produced

But a really G1 styled Special-issue one from G1 or G2 time period re-issues would make a much better explanation for that confusion than the reasons wiki sites.

I miss your other signatures...
starry* *night

Postby ironrod prime » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:06 pm

the only giant sized g1 styled optimus prime i know of is this one

but im pretty sure a pepsi version was never made
ironrod prime

Postby starry* *night » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:01 pm

ironrod prime wrote:but im pretty sure a pepsi version was never made

probably not

Edit: I just read the wikipedia Opt toy page
a Pepsi version of Opt was released mail away in the eighties here and in Canada
and re-released in 2007
and a Japanese version was inspired by it
but I don't know if they were larger...end of edit
much later Edit: they may only mean there is no official Hasbro made giant
but I mistook the tone of the article to say 'you couldn't have played with a giant red Opt' :lol:

I got on the wikipedia page again
and they mention Korean ones being a source of the rumor then have a link to the page about the Korean ones
and if you read all of the Korean info page~it talks about a knockoff of G2 Opt with a battery box
the box-art shows one that is quite G1 styled.
If that is accurate battery box talking G2 may be what my friend had
his head and arm transformation was I think a bit more complicated than G1 Opt
and he was red like regular Opt and at least 10inches tall when Transformed.
Last edited by starry* *night on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.
starry* *night

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:14 pm

starry* *night wrote:
ironrod prime wrote:but im pretty sure a pepsi version was never made

probably not

I got on the wikipedia page again
and they mention Korean ones being a source of the rumor then have a link to the page about the Korean ones
and if you read all of the Korean info page~it talks about a knockoff of G2 Opt with a battery box
the box-art shows one that is quite G1 styled.
If that is accurate battery box talking G2 may be what my friend had
his head and arm transformation was I think a bit more complicated than G1 Opt
and he was he was red like regular Opt and at least 10inches tall when Transformed.
Are you sure that it looked exactly like G1 Optimus Prime? Or did it just look like a typical Optimus Prime design?

starry* *night wrote:and a 2003 anniversary one which is wholly different from anything G1 style.
How does it not look like G1 Optimus Prime? It looks exactly like his animation model.

Or, when you say "G1 style", are you referring specifically to the look of Generation 1 Optimus Prime or to the engineered designs of Generation 1toy molds?
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby starry* *night » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:17 pm

^ Yes engineering -- answering the second question first.

He had sturdier upper legs but
with simple knee joints like the G1 my brother has

I think he had some metal parts
his cab was very square like a G1 opt
I can't remember if his grill was exactly the same shape
he had some decals but no Japanese writing

and as I said over 10inches standing
starry* *night

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers - General Discussion