Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Transformers: Prime

TF:Prime, Animated, Beast Wars, G1, you name it!

Transformers: Prime

Postby perceptor » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:20 pm

Coming this fall to the Hasbro/Discovery network, "The Hub" will include the all new series, Transformers: Prime. The Hollywood Reporter has revealed in an article that Alex Kurtzman and Robert Orci are serving as consultants on the series which it refers to as being in CG (= CGI = computer generated imaging!)

This report reveals two major revelations!

1.) Transformers will return to being a computer animated series for the first time since Beast Wars/Machines! Personally, I think CGI is an ideal medium to accentuate transformation sequences... Are you a fan of this?

2.) Kurtzman and Orci, writers of both live Movies: Transformers and Revenge of the Fallen... are consultants on the new series! Does this mean an effort will be made to tie in TF: Prime with movie-verse? Or are they around simply for their writing prowess?

Let the speculation begin!
Perceptor's thirst for knowledge is unquenchable. He will seek it to the exclusion of all else.<br>
perceptor
Site Admin

Re: Transformers: Prime

Postby DocWho » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:37 pm

I don't have high hopes for this project. CGI is going to remove any hope of expressive robots and the human characters will probably look atrocious. Not to mention Orci and Kurtzman can't write crap when it comes to Transformers, look at ROTF.

Polenicus wrote:Unicron.com are my HEROES.

Follow me on Twitter
DocWho

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:54 pm

I ddon't know if this is good or bad.

I did like the CGI of the Beast Era, but the CGI of Energon and Cybertron was very subpar.

And most (but not all) CGI shows of today aren't nearly as good-looking as Beast Wars and Beast Machines were.

As for the movieverse tie-in, I doubt it. That's what the movie comics are for. I'd say that they're there for their writing prowess. Such a case has happened before. Marty Isenberg worked on both Beast Machines and Animated, yet he wasn't there to tie the two together.

Besides, a tie-in series to the movies would be either expensive or a let-down. It would be expensive if they were to use the same CGI models and all the cast to do the voice work. And it would be a let-down if they didn't. So either way, it's a lose-lose situation.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Blasten Blaster » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:26 pm

I agree with Sabrblade this one is a toughy. i'll have to pull a Perceptor and search the universe for all available knowlege of this
More great souds comin' your way!
Blasten Blaster

Postby perceptor » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:10 pm

When did you become such a negative pessimist DocWho???

I think the CGI Transformers of both live movies AND Beast Wars and Beast Machines were extremely highly expressive. I can't disagree with you more! on this one...

As for Kurtzman/Orci... Look, I make no apologies for ROTF. The film wasn't perfect, but consider: They did throw together ROTF in about a quarter of the time normally given to screen writers due to massive time restrictions because of the writers strike. I didn't hear anyone complaining after the first movie! Everyone said they're brilliant. That pair is considered "talent magnets" in Hollywood right now!

The Orci/Kurtzman tandem, in my opinion is both good and (potentially) bad.
Good: They are phenomenally talented writers and if they're producing, this means they will attract other talented writers.
Bad: So far, they have not demonstrated a great deal of interest in writing stories tied in with/respectful of previous story arcs "cannon" of Transformers mythology. But I always attributed this to the restrictions of making a short ~2hour movie and the movie industry as a whole, as well as Mike Bay, wanting/not wanting certain story elements...

Time will tell!
Perceptor's thirst for knowledge is unquenchable. He will seek it to the exclusion of all else.<br>
perceptor
Site Admin

Postby perceptor » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:20 pm

...And Sabr! ... Dude, the people developing this Transformers series are the same players as did Transformers Animated, minus CartoonNetwork.

Hasbro is looking to make a splash with a whole new Television Netowork! This is going to be one of the signature shows that people identify with the channel. We're talking BIG dollars being invested in the development, OWNED BY Hasbro!

...There's no way in hell, they're going to hire guys like Kurtzman and Orci to write stories then take a giant step backwards an return to the caliber of animation like we saw in Transformers:Energon! Let us be hopeful here people!!
perceptor
Site Admin

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:36 pm

perceptor wrote:...And Sabr! ... Dude, the people developing this Transformers series are the same players as did Transformers Animated, minus CartoonNetwork.

Hasbro is looking to make a splash with a whole new Television Netowork! This is going to be one of the signature shows that people identify with the channel. We're talking BIG dollars being invested in the development, OWNED BY Hasbro!

...There's no way in hell, they're going to hire guys like Kurtzman and Orci to write stories then take a giant step backwards an return to the caliber of animation like we saw in Transformers:Energon! Let us be hopeful here people!!
Chill, man. I'm not saying that they're gonna use Energon's CGI. That's a whole different nation in a whole different continent (besides, the Japanese tend to be kinda subpar on CGI when compared to U.S. CGI). If it's U.S. CGI, it could be way better than what Energon/Cybertron gave us, which would be a very good thing.

I'm just saying that a lot fo the CGI cartoons that are currently on aren't quite as good in terms of animation quality as Beast Wars and Beast Machines. The only one I can think of that 's got some good CGI animation is Star Wars: The Clone Wars, but that's one out of who-knows-how-many. I am hoping that the CGI of this series will be good too.

I think this whole thing with the show being done in CGI and them being on board is cool. And I am looking forward to seeing it.

If anyone should be hopeful, it should be all those people who dislike Kurtzman/Orci because they disliked the two movies. I liked both movies (not "loved", but "liked"), so I'm hoping that, with them being involved, it should be good.

I have nothing but hope that this series will be a pleasing and successful series.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby DocWho » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:00 pm

perceptor wrote:...There's no way in hell, they're going to hire guys like Kurtzman and Orci to write stories then take a giant step backwards an return to the caliber of animation like we saw in Transformers:Energon! Let us be hopeful here people!!

It's really hard for me to have hope when I see the words "Kurtzman", "Orci", and "Transformers", all in one announcement. Not after ROTF. :-/

Polenicus wrote:Unicron.com are my HEROES.

Follow me on Twitter
DocWho

Postby TriPredRavage » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:40 pm

Hey, alright. Finally another series done in CGI (not counting Energon and Cyberton for obvious reasons). Maybe we'll finally have the potential for a TF series to be better than Beast Wars... :mrgreen:
TriPredRavage

Postby blukis » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:19 pm

High hopes, but holding off on expectations 'till I see some more. Seems like they've been working on something for a while... fingers crossed.
Unicron.com - Brian L - Image / tw / fb
blukis
Site Admin

Next

Return to Transformers - Cartoon Discussion