Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Transformers Hall of Fame

Can't find a category for your topic? Post your Transformers General Discussions here!

Re: Transformers Hall of Fame

Postby Sabrblade » Sun May 09, 2010 6:26 pm

Wing Saber wrote:i have seen him in beast wars, ive seen the first 10 episodes.
And none of those really portray him in all his glory. You need to watch ALL 52 of the episodes.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Wing Saber » Sun May 09, 2010 7:04 pm

ohh ok. right now im already going through the unicron trilogy, started at christmas, im on episode 20 of Cybertron, then im either gunna watch Beast Wars, RID, or Animated.
Wing Saber

Postby Sabrblade » Mon May 10, 2010 11:10 am

Wing Saber wrote:ohh ok. right now im already going through the unicron trilogy, started at christmas, im on episode 20 of Cybertron, then im either gunna watch Beast Wars, RID, or Animated.
My advice is to watch Beast Wars first, then Beast Machines (the sequel to Beast Wars), then RiD (a nice contrast to Beast Machines), and then Animated.

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Wing Saber » Mon May 10, 2010 5:20 pm

ok, i just might do that
Wing Saber

Postby perceptor » Wed May 19, 2010 11:44 pm

VOTE HERE!!! BTW.
Perceptor's thirst for knowledge is unquenchable. He will seek it to the exclusion of all else.<br>
perceptor
Site Admin

Postby Wing Saber » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:20 pm

Wing Saber wrote:I'm just gonna state my fav from each series. g1: Jazz
G2: didnt watch
Beast Wars: Waspinator
Beast Machines: didnt watch
RID: didnt watch
Armada: Starscream
Energon: Downshift
Cybertron: Undermine (toy) Wingsaber (character)
2007 movie: Jazz
Animated: Prowl
2009 movie: either Jetfire or Sideswipe

I know the hall of fame has already elected nominees, but i have to change my fav for cybertron to Signal Lancer
Wing Saber

Postby HolyGrail » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:42 am

Sabrblade wrote:Shockwave is another category four. Deep, charismatic voice. Space gun altmode. Highly accurate and fun toy. Gun mode & electronic gimmicks. But what about he himself? He was mostly portrayed as the Decepticons's house sitter. He stayed on Cybertron to watch things, but there was hardly anything for him to watch, what with the planet being almost uninhabitable. And he did this for four million years! Like Soundwave, he was also loyal to Megatron, and did little else in regards to being his own character. Though, on occasion, he would have to act on his own to protect the Decepticons's Cybertron HQ, but this was still out of loyalty to Megatron. I will admit that there's nothing wrong with loyalty, but it's not a good thing when you've got little else going for ya. And like both Soundwave and Jazz, he was also lacking in the character development department.

Whilst I don't DISagree with the choice of Dinobot, I am gonna go into bat for Shockwave here. He was a little more cunning than your average yes man and his whole "logic first" persona at least gave him a characteristic edge over most clones from G1.

Also take into consideration the time that the two characters existed. Not talking about canon stuff but rather the actual years of their inception. Dinobot benefited from a time when the quality of show production was clearly higher than the error-riddled 80s original. As much as Beast Wars is ultimately a kids show, writers weren't afraid to address real issues such as morality and questioning one's own true worth. There's next to nothing that comes close to these sort of probing issues in G1 - but you can put that down to the era it was made in. I would argue, if the logic-driven Shockwave became a central figure in any of the recent series (in a similar vein to Dinobot), he would be an instant hit and probably would have got the votes. (His role in Animated, while small, was still highly memorable.)

Whilst the first 4 characters as chosen by Hasbro were no-brainers, it could also be argued that these 4 have become more famous for their POST G1 exploits. In every cartoon and toyline since, there has always been a heroic Prime, a tyrannical Megs and his backstabbing 2nd in command Starscream. (Bumblebee is the only odd one out here as he didn't really appear in much fiction (other than comics) until the Movie-verse reinvented him.) It was also a tactical marketing decision by Hasbro to protect arguably the biggest 4 names in the brand.

So in summary, congrats to Dinobot, but I think there's still life to be had by some of the old G1'ers. :)
HolyGrail

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:20 pm

Wing Saber wrote:
jhonsadins wrote:what a tyrant. he near enough ruled the universe, demolished cybertron, changed the time stream and he started off purple..

who is are you referring to?
It was a spambot who just copied what lioconvoy had wrote about BW Megatron.

HolyGrail wrote:Whilst I don't DISagree with the choice of Dinobot, I am gonna go into bat for Shockwave here. He was a little more cunning than your average yes man and his whole "logic first" persona at least gave him a characteristic edge over most clones from G1.
Didn't his "logic first" persona come from his toy bio and Marvel comic protrayal? The G1 cartoon, which I was referring to, didn't really play into this role of his as much.

HolyGrail wrote:Also take into consideration the time that the two characters existed. Not talking about canon stuff but rather the actual years of their inception. Dinobot benefited from a time when the quality of show production was clearly higher than the error-riddled 80s original. As much as Beast Wars is ultimately a kids show, writers weren't afraid to address real issues such as morality and questioning one's own true worth. There's next to nothing that comes close to these sort of probing issues in G1 - but you can put that down to the era it was made in. I would argue, if the logic-driven Shockwave became a central figure in any of the recent series (in a similar vein to Dinobot), he would be an instant hit and probably would have got the votes. (His role in Animated, while small, was still highly memorable.)
True. Very true. The times were different for both shows, yes. But that still doesn't change what the final result of each was. One focused on selling toys only, while another put characterization and plot development in the spotlight.

HolyGrail wrote:Whilst the first 4 characters as chosen by Hasbro were no-brainers, it could also be argued that these 4 have become more famous for their POST G1 exploits. In every cartoon and toyline since, there has always been a heroic Prime, a tyrannical Megs and his backstabbing 2nd in command Starscream. (Bumblebee is the only odd one out here as he didn't really appear in much fiction (other than comics) until the Movie-verse reinvented him.) It was also a tactical marketing decision by Hasbro to protect arguably the biggest 4 names in the brand.

So in summary, congrats to Dinobot, but I think there's still life to be had by some of the old G1'ers. :)
Yes, but that's just it. It wasn't any of the later incarnations of these characters that were chosen. It was the original G1 versions that lacked some of the quality and effort put into their later iterations. If, perhaps, they had nominated Energon Shockblast or, like you mentioned, Animated Shockwave, then it may have been more of a fair decision to be made as they each had more thought and effort put into their personalites and actions (then again, one could argue against Shockblast's portrayal because of how lackluster the Energon cartoon was in general, but that's beside the point).

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby HolyGrail » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:17 pm

Sabrblade wrote:Yes, but that's just it. It wasn't any of the later incarnations of these characters that were chosen. It was the original G1 versions that lacked some of the quality and effort put into their later iterations. If, perhaps, they had nominated Energon Shockblast or, like you mentioned, Animated Shockwave, then it may have been more of a fair decision to be made as they each had more thought and effort put into their personalites and actions (then again, one could argue against Shockblast's portrayal because of how lackluster the Energon cartoon was in general, but that's beside the point).

But if I recall, the display cases at BotCon with the Hall of Fame characters featured toys from ALL eras as well as a condensed bio about the characters history. Does this not mean that they are taking into account ALL that the character has done in every iteration? I mean ultimately, your nominating a character, not a Toy such as Energon Shockblast. That being true, Prime, Megs and Starscream DO make natural choices.

Bumblebee, I'm not too sure on. I mean post G1, Bumblebee's appearances in other series up until the Movie line were, ummm, pretty much nil. His characters role as the "young sidekick" was handed to Hot Shot. Only with the Movie series has he come back into popular conciousness.

This whole thing then begs the question about what will happen next year: Will there be another fan nominated character with Hasbro 'locking in' the other four? What would REALLY be cool is if fans could vote for all 5 nominees, but I don't see that happening... :/
HolyGrail

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:54 pm

HolyGrail wrote:But if I recall, the display cases at BotCon with the Hall of Fame characters featured toys from ALL eras as well as a condensed bio about the characters history. Does this not mean that they are taking into account ALL that the character has done in every iteration? I mean ultimately, your nominating a character, not a Toy such as Energon Shockblast. That being true, Prime, Megs and Starscream DO make natural choices.
While the display cases did feature different toy versions from the different iterations of the characters, the character pictures were specifcally their G1 versions and their bios also indicated such (or, their WFC/Exodus/Prime versions, it's hard to tell :lol: ).

Like you said, the charatcers, not the toys, were being inducted, but the G1 characters are not all the same individuals as those in later seires who share their names. G1 Optimus is not the same guy as the Optimuses from RiD, the Unicron Trilogy, the Movies, Animated, Shattered Glass, etc. Same goes for the others. If we had only been able to select which character that uses these anems to be inducted, I would have chosen G1 Optimus, Beast Era Megatron, Cybertron Starscream, and Animated Bumblebee instead of them being ALL G1 guys only.

HolyGrail wrote:This whole thing then begs the question about what will happen next year: Will there be another fan nominated character with Hasbro 'locking in' the other four? What would REALLY be cool is if fans could vote for all 5 nominees, but I don't see that happening... :/
Yes, but one can dream, right. ;)

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Transformers - General Discussion