Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Transformers Toy List Breakdown

If its about Transformers, the toys, it's fair game.

Transformers Toy List Breakdown

Postby blukis » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:56 pm

This is in response to the first comment on this news post. Thought it better to move this part of the discussion to the forum...

@Sabrblade: Thanks for the input hmmm...

- Misc category: your examples are entry errors. I'll try to fix them soon. For the most part Misc is for exclusives & 1-offs that don't fit in a true size class.

- G2: interesting. I'll probably save this one for later.

- 2 Universe lines: yeah. Only problem is my system doesn't support 2 lines of the same name, and I'd like to stick to the official line names. That's a current conundrum.

- Movie 1 vs ROTF lines. I've had this in the back of my head, but have been looking for some concrete reasons they are 2 lines. My only idea is (e.g.) Movie 1 deluxe assortment number is different from the ROTF deluxe assortment number. (same for all the price classes.) That's a weak argument though. The "changed box design" is pretty weak too. How do we "know for sure"?

- G1 Reissues --> Commemorative Series: great. I was looking for a better name for those. Similar question to before - is that an official name? What's printed on the boxes? More than that?

- Playschool Go-Bots: agreed. It's a work in progress.

- 20th Anniversary Prime: He really doesn't have a good home. I'd rather not put him straight in G1, and extend the 1984-1990 year range for that series. I know he's not an alternator, but making a special series for him seems wrong too. Perhaps I'll just mark up that it's 'G1 / not alternator' in his name, or assortment name.

- Animated figures for 2010: any figures listed that haven't come out yet are a "work in progress" and have a tendency to change. This is a common phenomenon.

- Japanese/European lines: no plans at the moment, but it's been in the back of my head. Possible extension in the future.
Last edited by blukis on Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unicron.com - Brian L - Image / tw / fb
blukis
Site Admin

Re: Transformers Toy List Breakdown

Postby Sabrblade » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:39 pm

Yes, "Commemorative Series" is the official name, but only for those Toys'R'Us reissues (and the KB Toys Sideswipe, and the Hasbro Toy Shop Astrotrain).

They used the G1 logo, but underneath had the "Commemorative Series" logo and number as well. The number would show which wave/series each figure belonged to.

Here's some examples of what the boxes looked like.

There have, however, been several other G1 reissues apart from this line. For example, there's the Fun-4-All keychain reissues of Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Brawn, and Windcharger. As well as the Classics "Commemorative Edition" G1 Soundwave reissue, the Universe 25th Anniv. Optimus Prime, and the upcoming Universe "Commemorative Edition" G1 Perceptor and G1 Insecticon reissues.

And much more U.S. and non-U.S. reissues that can all be seen here.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby blukis » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:41 am

Thanks. Those tfwiki links are a great resource.

You bring up a lot of issues I've been dealing with maintaining this database over the years.

Regarding Beast Machines Supreme Cheetor and Super Primal Prime, my system of price classes is driven only by unique assortment numbers.
These figures may have been called "Supreme" and "Super", but Super didn't seem to get its own assortment number (what my system thinks of as a "price point") until RID. So they're entered more like 1-offs in my system until RID. I'm curious about your thoughts on that. :)
blukis
Site Admin

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:53 am

I've always considered Optimal Optimus and Primal Prime to be Supers. Same goes for Cheetor, Air Attack Optimus Primal, Unicron, Omega Supreme/Sentinel, Starscream, and Primus as Supremes.

Though, the first three were unique to their own size classes. So, yeah...

Also, if you need more of the years for each series, check out this Wikipedia page. I noticed there were both series and years missing from it before, so I filled them all in. For once, Wikipedia has some true info because the person who filled it (myself) in was true.

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby blukis » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:43 am

ROTF toys are now split into a separate series from the live action movie 1 series, and "G1 Reissues" is changed to "Commemorative Series". Thanks for the suggestions.
blukis
Site Admin

Postby imeco » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:35 pm

For Armada checklist I can not seem to find the Gold Optimus Prime on the list that came in a two pack with Jetfire that was a K-Mart exclusive I believe. Also, didn't the Emergency Team and Sea Teams have recolors under the Armada name?
imeco

Postby blukis » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:23 pm

Good catches. I added these to the list. Thanks!
blukis
Site Admin

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:34 pm

Topic revived. I noticed some additions made to the toy list like the 2010 line, the PCC line, and the Generations line. While skimming through the ROTF page, I noticed that the Leader Starscream figure is listed on this page instead of the proper 2010 page. I'm guessing that this was done back when we all assumed the Leader Starscream figure was going to be an ROTF figure, so it's understandable. But now that we know which line it belongs in, I'd say a move to correct page is in order.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby blukis » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:01 pm

Listing is updated now. Good catch, and Thanks!
blukis
Site Admin

Return to Transformers - Toy Discussion