Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Transformers Prime: "Rightfully HUGE!"

TF:Prime, Animated, Beast Wars, G1, you name it!

Transformers Prime: "Rightfully HUGE!"

Postby perceptor » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:14 pm

The following are notes taken from the Hasbro: Transformers: Prime panel at Botcon 2010.

Leading the discussion (excuse any potential spelling errors w/ the names!)
Mike Vogel: runs boys action for Hasbro Studios
Jeff Kline: Executive Producer on Transformers Prime
Aaron Archer: Transformers brand planning including TF: Prime.

About a year ago, Hasbro decided they want to be in the TV business. The idea here is to continue the tradition, and maintain better control of the quality and nature of its properties. Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman were approached by Hasbro and they were thrilled and happy to bring such outstanding talent to the Transformers franchise. They assumed they would be too busy, but they signed on to the project.

There is a lot of incredibly rich mythology in Transformers. Here "...we make efforts to not contradict it…” The idea is that they want to grow the universe.

TF: Prime is a full CG (computer animated) show. While the movie set the bar for great action, they want to live up to those high standards. Other highlighted points
- This is the most complex CGI show ever produced for television.
- The story picks up on earth. Autobots and Decepticons have been on here for awhile. But the great Wars are a thing of the past.
- Cybertron is a bit of a husk. So the Autobots have been sticking around in case the Decepticons come back. SPOILER ALERT: The Decepticons do come back! :)

Core cast of Autobots includes:
- Optimus Prime: (no surprise!) Played by Peter Cullen, he looks to me very much like an animated version of movie Optimus Prime without the flames. Long nose truck, red in the front/nose, blue in the back.
- Bumblebee: –we saw pictures of full body and alt mode, looks like a supped up camaro with engine sticking out of the top of the hood.
- Arcee: is in her awesome Motorcycle self. Sue Blue is voice directing, so we can assume she will reprise the role.
- Ratchet: no details given
- Bulkhead: no details given, other than that TF Designer Eric Seibenaler stated (in a separate panel that he would be overseeing the toy’s design, make sure they “get it right.” :) What does Bulkhead turn into? A: “He’s consistent, somewhat similar to original.” -apparently not including Energon Bulkhead.
Cliffjumper: Will get his own life and look. a new/different form than Bumblebee, not a straight up recolor.
The Decepticons, far fewer details given but the did statee
- Megatron: Voiced by Frank Welker, we saw still images of the character in both modes. The depictions we saw look like a meched out version of Cybertron Mode Megatron from TF: Animated. “Classic elements of G1 Megatron w/ fusion cannon, grey and black. Our biggest goal was to reference things from the G1 days.”
- Starscream: no details given, other than that he’d be in it.
- Soundwave no longer a boom box.
There are many others but these are the only ones they would announce today.

Theres are bots and ‘cons linvint throughout the universe. In time we’ll grow the universe. Some have been in sleep mode. Some ohave moved on from the Great Wars… We see this as an opportunity to explore the characters in new and different ways. When you see the show, you’ll quickly realize that the people making it are as passionate about getting it right as the fans.

So why is it called TF: Prime? Why “Prime”?
- Because we couldn’t clear any other names through legal (laughs). The theme is really to delve deep into what does it mean to be a “Prime?”

Right now we’re on the last few scripts of season 1.

We are trying desperately to go as epic as we possibly can. This will be like nothing you’ve never seen before.

- First Video: Peter Cullen and Frank Welker Play run through their lines in a battle scene of TF: Prime, amazing! Crowd goes nuts!!!

Cullen: “Reuniting w/ him, sometime I have to come to care about so, after all these years. It’s like coming home. It’s a comfortable character.”

Video of Cullen and Welker acting out scene. Emotional reunion. Great walk down memory lane.
“These 2 guys love each other as much as Optimus nad Megatron hate each other.”

How many episodes? The goal is to have 65… 26 is the minimum

TF: Prime will probably not begin airing when they network opens.

The writers have crafted sories already through season 4. “They have planned stories through infinity and beyond .”

Jose Lopez is the lead designer. He’s been stellar In animation is we got a amazing all-world cast. We’re doing all the designs all here in the United States.

There will be various CG forms showing battle damage… etc.

... And lastly, some downer news. When asked about where are the toys? The deliberatly vague response was basically: -Don't expect Transformers Prime toys anytime soon. Certainly not by the time the show debuts, probably around Thanksgiving. For the forseeable future toys will be with the subtitles: "Powercore Combiners", "Hunt For the Decepticons" or "Generations." ---There will likely not be a mainline "Transformers Prime" toy launch in 2010 as Transformers 3 merchandise will be in full swing.
Perceptor's thirst for knowledge is unquenchable. He will seek it to the exclusion of all else.<br>
perceptor
Site Admin

Re: Transformers Prime: "Rightfully HUGE!"

Postby lioconvoy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:18 pm

i'm bummed there are no figures of transformers prime when the series starts but the series sound pritty cool from the info given
lioconvoy

Postby DocWho » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:37 pm

I'm getting TFA flashbacks here.

Polenicus wrote:Unicron.com are my HEROES.

Follow me on Twitter
DocWho

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:14 pm

Don't worry, guys. What they said about "no TF Prime toys", they meant "no TF Prime toys immediately". They will come eventually, but not in their own separate toyline. They'll likely start out in the Generations line, but they won't get their own unique toyline until much, MUCH later on. They are coming, just not right away.

Also, some info regarding the show that was not stated at the panel is that Jeffery Combs is the voice of Ratchet, and Starscream will maintain his traditional backstabbing personality.

Also, regarding Welker voicing Megatron, he's not doing the exact same voice as G1 Megatron, but rather, a slightly different variation that makes him sound like a smoother, more calculating, more menacing villain. Almost like if G1 Megs were a James Bond villain. :lol:

I was there with the Bros. It was awesome. :mrgreen:
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby lioconvoy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:42 pm

well the toyline will prob be interesting when we eventually get it but on the brite side, generations drift, bb, op, megs, soundwave, straxus and blurr are this year as are rodimus and ironhide animated.
then the battle blades bb, leader starscream side arm sideswipe etc etc

are the prime figures starting in generations or the mo they get there own line you think
lioconvoy

Postby Master Dex » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:51 pm

Also, regarding Welker voicing Megatron, he's not doing the exact same voice as G1 Megatron, but rather, a slightly different variation that makes him sound like a smoother, more calculating, more menacing villain. Almost like if G1 Megs were a James Bond villain. :lol:

"No Mr. Prime, I expect you to die!!"

I had to do it. Anyway this all sounds like good news so far.
Master Dex

Postby cheetorr2 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:55 am

So far this sounds like it's gonna be pretty cool. I can't wait to see the CGI in this. :D
cheetorr2

Postby overhaul » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:35 pm

Sounds like this could [i][/i] be good.
I am excited that they've got Peter Cullen and Frank Welker as Prime and Megatron.
My thoughts on the slight voice chance on Mr. Welkers' part:
I used to be a G1 purist (with BW being an exception, since it happens in the G1 universe), but then we got the movies... and I liked parts of them. And then Animated, and that show turned my thinking quite a bit. Animated did things right where G1 didn't (or at least did them better).
One of those things were the main villain, Megatron. He was cold, calculating. Yes, he could get angry, but G1 Megatron seemed more likely to get sloppy due to his anger, and often was the two dimensional stereotypical cackling bad guy. Not Animated Megatron. He plotted and planned, and schemed. He thought more big picture.
What I'm hoping for is a little more mature version of the story (somewhere along the lines of Beast Wars, maybe even a bit more mature, but not as much as Beast Machines). Basically, something around the likes of what we've been getting in the comics: great stories that have a more mature feel to them.
overhaul

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:07 pm

The first TRAILER for the series has appeared.

More info from San Diego Comic-Con's TF:Prime panel (thanks to TFW2005).

* Orci and Kurtzman are working on this series because they really wanted to dig into the robot mythology, which they weren't abel to do in the movies.
* Bots have a need to hide from someone - "Robots in disguise"
* Takes place in the present day, after "Movie type" events with the Autobots hiding on Earth.
* When asked if TF:Prime is NOT in the Movieverse, a straight answer wasn't given. Movie-esque events kept getting referenced, but without actually saying for certain that it IS in the Movieverse. It's like they didn't yet want to say "Yes" to it not being with the movies, but also didn't want to directly put it in the Movieverse.
* They're stretching the limits of CGI with this series, making it "cutting edge" awesome.
* The images are rendered, but are not the final versions.
* Bumblebee - same images seen at BotCon.
* Arcee is blue instead of pink becuase they wanted to stay away from the G1's "girl pink stuff". She's a ninja style bike.
* Cliffjumper is a red 60s/70s styled muscle car with bull horns. And does NOT look like Bumblebee.
* Ratchet has a red and white color scheme and a "heartbeat line" on his arm.
* Human characters are Jack Darby, Miko Tezuka, and Rafael "Raf" Esquivel.
* Decepticon Troopers are nameless, ninja-esque, footsoldiers
* Megatron and Optimus - exact same images of them seen at BotCon. Movie-esque altmodes, but beautiful Movie/Animated/G1-esque Robot Modes. Alien jet mode for Megs.
* Peter Cullen himself speaks at this panel, talking about his work on the show and other things.
* Q&A - Q's about Welker's new Megs voice, and getting Cullen to say things.
* Final question was about continuity. Answer: IT'S NOT MOVIEVERSE! It's War For Cybertron-verse! The pre-series "movie type" events mentioned earlier take place after the game/book, but are NOT the Movies themselves.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby skywarp408 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:20 pm

Looks interesting. I don't get the HUB channel so i guess i will be downloading this series.
skywarp408

Next

Return to Transformers - Cartoon Discussion