Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

generations means......what

Can't find a category for your topic? Post your Transformers General Discussions here!

generations means......what

Postby ironrod prime » Wed May 08, 2013 5:20 pm

So i was looking at the comments on optibotimus's review of generations blitzwing and one of the comments read

"I agree totally with you about what you said at 21:40 generations/classics is all about G1, not F-ing animated! sure it did some good for lugnuts, but thats about it."

Now i don't believe this at all and frankly the poster is just ignorant and perhaps geewhining just a bit but thats just me. what do you guys think? Is generations solely a g1 toy line or does span farther than that
ironrod prime

Re: generations means......what

Postby Sabrblade » Wed May 08, 2013 5:24 pm

Thus far, it seems to be operating in phases, with each one relating to a specific series, toyline, franchise, or continuity.

The first phase was mostly WFC toys, then mostly Classics-style toys, then FOC toys, and now IDW G1 toys.

At least, that's how I see it. :smile:
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Wing Saber » Wed May 08, 2013 5:26 pm

I disagree completely. it's called GenerationS, not Generation

The WFC and FOC toys were not G1
Other than that, they've all been based upon G1. Alright Hasbro, you put the 'S' at the end for a reason. Let's move on to the next generation... Beast Wars.
Wing Saber

Postby cyberwuss » Sat May 25, 2013 1:22 am

Generations is meant to be more like the old Universe line but leaning towards Generation One alot more than the Universe line did.

When I say Old Universe I mean the one that had alot of older molds released again without any ongoing current story to tie them together other than some short one on the box art.

So the idea is to take random characters from all the other TF storylines and toylines and release them in a way that is alot like G1, but with the character having the style of the movie or show he was based on and the detailing more like the Classics or Universe 2.0 line for the actual toy.

I have the blitzwing and to me that is how he fits, I loved Animated, they took some of the aspects of his character design from the show, rehashed them in a more 80s G1 style with less goofy unrealistic deformed look (yes the drama and plots of Animated were some of the best ever in TF, but the drawing is what turned alot of people off on it, while the opposite is true for most of the other lines, the drawing was awesome but the plots were goofy and childishly simple in for example, the Unicron Trilogy.) Then they added enough detailing and quality to that idea in the toy itself to make it a good item.
The coward desires revenge but being afraid to die, he looks to others, maybe to the government of the day, to do the work of defense for him.
cyberwuss

Postby ironrod prime » Sat May 25, 2013 10:52 am

Actualy the first universe line did have a story behind it. It was written by a company called dreamwave who used to do the transformers comics before idw
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Sat May 25, 2013 2:34 pm

ironrod prime wrote:Actualy the first universe line did have a story behind it. It was written by a company called dreamwave who used to do the transformers comics before idw
3H, not Dreamwave.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby cyberwuss » Sun May 26, 2013 7:33 am

ironrod prime wrote:Actualy the first universe line did have a story behind it. It was written by a company called dreamwave who used to do the transformers comics before idw

My point though was that the toys came before the storyline was developed, from other already established stories, and were repaints of those for the most part.

So ya, they did a very light skeleton story just for the toyline, but they copied all the toymolds from different lines outside of the Universe toyline itself from older ones that had much much more media tied to them and story than the combined repaints in Universe with their sketchy story only done for the popularity of the toys that were copied from other cartoons much more established than the "Universe storyline" that you mention ever was.

It would be like if someone took action figures from Iron Man, Star Trek, Ninja Turtles and sold them under one toyline with a small story just created to promote that toyline a little. Those repaints in that line would clearly be understood to come from already established toylines with larger franchises of their own that didn't need the combined line at all.

So the point with Generations is about the same as that for Universe, but with new molds, like Classics, except that classics were new molds mostly for G1 era stuff, and Generations is meant to be an overall line for the entire continuity of all Transformers lines and not just those that might be considered "Classics" even though Animated was loved by alot of TF fans, most of the world doesn't consider the Animated line as a classic.

So for a line selling a mold of Animated based Blitzwing with a redesign more like the Classics line had, the better name is Generations since it is meant to encompass every Generation of the Transformers and not just the ones considered as classics... classics meaning the old stuff everybody loves, and generations meaning pretty much every different reinvention of Transformers ever.
The coward desires revenge but being afraid to die, he looks to others, maybe to the government of the day, to do the work of defense for him.
cyberwuss

Postby ironrod prime » Sun May 26, 2013 12:24 pm

I see your point but your forgetting that even though the figures in u1 were from different lines. they were still transformers. which makes it different from a toy line with a bunch of random figures from random lines. especially when you bring in the comic which is what held it all together.
ironrod prime

Return to Transformers - General Discussion