Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Beast Wars pre beast modes

Can't find a category for your topic? Post your Transformers General Discussions here!

Beast Wars pre beast modes

Postby Jogunwarrior » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:24 pm

Question from a noob: Beast Wars is what got me into Transformers in the first place. When we first meet the characters they are hidden in shadow until their beast modes are established.

Was their pre-beast modes ever established or hinted to?

They also seemed to rename themselves based on their Beast modes. Was their original names ever revealed?

Thanks in advance for any info/help!
Jogunwarrior

Re: Beast Wars pre beast modes

Postby Sabrblade » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:34 pm

Jogunwarrior wrote:Was their pre-beast modes ever established or hinted to?
In 2006, a comic was produced by Fun Pubblications for the official Transformers fan convention BotCon of that year. Titled "Dawn of Future's Past", the comic was a sort of "episode 0" to the Beast Wars cartoon, taking place immediately before episode 1 and showing how events led to the opening scene of the cartoon's first episode, with Megatron succeeding in stealing the Golden Disk and escaping Cybertron aboard a stolen spacecraft, the crew of the Axalon being given their secret cargo of Protoform X and then being reassigned to give chase to Megatron's ship, and then both ships skirmishing in outer space before being sent back in time through Transwarp space.

The comic featured pre-beast bodies for all the characters, based on existing toy molds from that time in the real world. And, of course, several toys of them were produced just for the occasion as BotCon exclusives.

This comic was later released to mass retail through Diamond (but is long since out of print), and later again as a pack-in comic with Shout! Factory's complete Beast Wars DVD boxed set.

The following year, 2007, brought two more additions to this story. One was an additional toy made by the Transformers Collectors Club:

The other was a short episode called "Theft of the Golden Disk" that served as a prequel to the previous year's prequel, showing exactly how the Golden Disk was stolen. The episode is on YouTube:
Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By_w8THE6fE
Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIJVSjIuNYg
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDRYFCO7fpo

However, all three of the Predacon characters who received no pre-Earth toys were shown in this episode in different bodies from the ones they were drawn in in "Dawn of Future's Past" for some reason.

Jogunwarrior wrote:They also seemed to rename themselves based on their Beast modes. Was their original names ever revealed?
The following are the only known pre-Earth names for these characters:
  • Optimus Primal - same (he didn't rename himself)
  • Megatron - same
  • Tigatron - "Unit 2" (technically not his real name, but it was his callsign as a cop)
  • Airazor - Wing Saber
  • Waspinator - Wasp (revealed in his 2011 Hall of Fame bio)
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Jogunwarrior » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:31 pm

Thank you so much for taking the time to not just provide the explanation, but those awesome pics as well. I really appreciate it!
Those are some awesome looking toys, and I remember seeing them on ebay for crazy amounts of money! I never knew they produced a comic to tell a prequel story.

Thanks again.
Jogunwarrior

Postby ironrod prime » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:14 pm

So wing saber becomes a girl huh? The tigerhawk situation makes alot more sense now. :P
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:20 pm

ironrod prime wrote:So wing saber becomes a girl huh? The tigerhawk situation makes alot more sense now. :P
How does one "become" a girl when one is already a girl? ;)

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:10 am

Sabrblade wrote:
ironrod prime wrote:So wing saber becomes a girl huh? The tigerhawk situation makes alot more sense now. :P

:? Wait is this another one of those "same name different character" type deals?
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:04 pm

ironrod prime wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:

:? Wait is this another one of those "same name different character" type deals?

"Her name was Wing Saber..." -- The Razor's Edge, TCC, July 6, 2007

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Jogunwarrior » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:52 am

Follow up question: Overlooking the original toy bios, it had been established that Beast Wars Megatron and Optimus Primal were not the same characters as their G1 counterparts. Was there ever an explanation given as to how Beast Wars Megatron got his name, or how Optimus Primal became known as "Optimus"?

As an aside, Beast Wars Megatron is my all time favorite version of Megatron.
Jogunwarrior

Postby Sabrblade » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:23 pm

Jogunwarrior wrote:Follow up question: Overlooking the original toy bios, it had been established that Beast Wars Megatron and Optimus Primal were not the same characters as their G1 counterparts. Was there ever an explanation given as to how Beast Wars Megatron got his name, or how Optimus Primal became known as "Optimus"?

As an aside, Beast Wars Megatron is my all time favorite version of Megatron.
Megatron took his name from the "Megatron" mentioned in the Covenant of Primus.

BUT, the Dreamwave "More Than Meets The Eye" profile books came up with their own origin story for Megatron, in which he took his name from G1 Megatron after having broken into Vector Sigma's chamber and read the archives it had on the G1 Autobots and Decepticons. But this story is not in continuity with either "Theft of the Golden Disk" or "Dawn of Future's Past", so it only applies to the continuity of Dreamwave's G1 comics (which made many references to the Beast Wars cartoon). Megs (and Dinobot, for that matter) also had a different pre-Earth body in that story from the one he had in "Theft" and "Dawn".

Optimus Primal, however, I don't think had an explanation for his name.

Though, here are the extended "Dawn of Future's Past" bios for the two:

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:40 pm

Based on a brief quote from beast machines i believe optimus primal is actually a descendant of optimus prime.
ironrod prime

Next

Return to Transformers - General Discussion