Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Is CJ Gone for Good?

TF:Prime, Animated, Beast Wars, G1, you name it!

Is CJ Gone for Good?

Postby perceptor » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:30 pm

Now that we've seen the first 2 episodes of Transformers Prime, we need to fire up the topic:

Is Cliffjumper gone for good?

There is a good deal of evidence on both sides of the issue and Hasbro wants keep us in suspence! Examine the evidence, then weigh in with your opinions!

* Hasbro announced him to be among the "core characters" of Transformers Prime, at Botcon 2010.

* Curiously, the Hub special, Behind the Scenes of Transformers Prime, does not include Cliffjumper among the "core characters" of Transformers Prime.

* The recent IDW Paperback, Transformers Prime features Cliffjumper and Arcee. Why feature him so heavily if they're going to kill him off 2 episodes in to the series???

* CJ is voiced by big name movie star Dwane "The Rock" Johnson. Could this mean he's a "guest-star" type character like Swindle or Lockdown in Transformers Animated?

* IMDB says Dwane plays Cliffjumper in episodes 1, 2 and 4. Incidentally, it also says the same thing about Peter Cullen's role as Optimus Prime. So therefore, IMDB is, at best, incomplete, or inaccurate about CJ being in ep 4. Time will tell...

* CJ has already been stabbed through the fuel pump (heart), killed by Starscream. Then "ressurected" as a raging zombie with the "blood of UNICRON" by Megatron. He was then sliced in half, crushed under Megatron's heel, pushed off a cliff, and left for dead amidst a fiery, exploding energon mine...

How in the world can he come back from all this? Please, fellow fans! Help me make sense of it all! What do you think?!
Perceptor's thirst for knowledge is unquenchable. He will seek it to the exclusion of all else.<br>
perceptor
Site Admin

Re: Is CJ Gone for Good?

Postby Blasten Blaster » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:30 pm

if CJ is brought back again its going to be in a cheesy that makes everyone mad they did it that way but happy to have CJ back for more episodes.

Personally as a person who cares about 100% continuity i hope he stays dead. Although i'm willing to accept the Abots rebuilding him from scratch as long as he has no memories.
More great souds comin' your way!
Blasten Blaster

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:27 pm

As I've said in the news on the home page, I honestly don't have any idea of how they could bring back Cliffjumper, since they went so far to kill him once, kill him again, and them leave him to die in that explosion. Not to mention that (as stated above) big actors like The Rock usually only voice guest characters, as they're more expensive than the main cast members. I'd be very surprised (yet still very pleased) if they ever do manage to resurrect Cliffjumper.

perceptor wrote:* Hasbro announced him to be among the "core characters" of Transformers Prime, at Botcon 2010.
Yes, but they didn't say "how long" he would be among the main cast. It could have only been for that brief moment.

perceptor wrote:* The recent IDW Paperback, Transformers Prime features Cliffjumper and Arcee. Why feature him so heavily if they're going to kill him off 2 episodes in to the series???
Probably to help get us familiar with the guy enough before he bites the dust. As well as to show why Arcee was so distraught over losing him.

perceptor wrote:* IMDB says Dwane plays Cliffjumper in episodes 1, 2 and 4. Incidentally, it also says the same thing about Peter Cullen's role as Optimus Prime. So therefore, IMDB is, at best, incomplete, or inaccurate about CJ being in ep 4. Time will tell...
For one thing, IMDB is an unreliable source. It's about as reliable as Wikipedia. Though, if this info does turn out to be correct, that does bring up a few questions. 1) Why isn't Optimus in episodes 3 and/or 5? 2) Could the Cliff the lines perhaps be a flashback, or maybe a vocal ploy performed by Soundwave (since he's able to play back lines of other people)?

perceptor wrote:* CJ has already been stabbed through the fuel pump (heart), killed by Starscream. Then "ressurected" as a raging zombie with the "blood of UNICRON" by Megatron. He was then sliced in half, crushed under Megatron's heel, pushed off a cliff, and left for dead amidst a fiery, exploding energon mine...

How in the world can he come back from all this? Please, fellow fans! Help me make sense of it all! What do you think?!
You just said everything in my mind, Perc. If they went that far to kill him at level of Waspinator pain, then it would talk a slaggin' miracle to bring him back. ;)

Though, if he ever does return as a full-time character, do ya'll think the Rock will remain in the role, or would they hire a cheaper voice actor?
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby perceptor » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:56 pm

Blasten Blaster wrote:if CJ is brought back again its going to be in a cheesy that makes everyone mad they did it that way but happy to have CJ back for more episodes.

What cold possibly lead you to believe that if they brought him back, it would be cheesy???? NOTHING about this show is cheesy. I predict that IF they find some way to bring him back, he'll be like the Wolverine of Transformers, a constant struggle to control his rage, being that his spark has been corrupted by Dark Energon. A twisted, tormented soul, er spark of an Autobot...

That said, I lean (slightly) toward the belief that he's not coming back.

Why? I think Hasbro has come to believe that they owe a portion of Transformers popularity to heroic characters dying. Optimus Prime in G1 and Dinobot in Beast Wars. CJ's death is, I believe meant to set the tone for the rest of the series, that this Transformers war is serious business...
Perceptor's thirst for knowledge is unquenchable. He will seek it to the exclusion of all else.<br>
perceptor
Site Admin

Postby perceptor » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:22 pm

Every time I convince myself he's not coming back, I think of reasons why he could, and visa versa.

Try these on for size! Another factor is that w/ a CGI show like TF: Prime, 3D model design making is expensive. It's not like Animated where you can have a new guest star every week. It's hard to imagine that they would go through all that trouble to make a CJ character, transformable, great stylizing/personality in both modes... only to kill him off for good in the first 2 episodes.

If the writer's intent was to make a dramatic statement, "TF characters can die. -for good." I would think that they would have made slightly bigger deal about his passing. Also, maybe stretch it out so he dies by episode 5 of the series intro...

Another factor: Alex Kurtzman and Robert Orci have quite a track record of bringing back Transformers from the dead: Megatron (twice! once in each film!), Sam Witwicky and Optimus Prime (both came back from the dead at the end of ROTF), as well as seeing Bonecrusher, and Blackout back in ROTF w/o explanation... hmm...

Then again, they did keep Jazz, Brawl and Frenzy out of commission for good! ..... See what I mean?! I flip-flop! Ugh, can't wait for episodes 3, 4 & 5!
perceptor
Site Admin

Postby Agent X » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:35 am

i say he is going to become a herald of Unicron
Immaturity is shown by not trying to understand others, but by judging others.
Agent X

Postby perceptor » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:28 am

Agent X wrote:i say he is going to become a herald of Unicron

OH yeah! That's another possibility! ... BTW, the fact that they've already discussed Unicron, only 2 episodes deep into the series... I'm still nerding out over that!

Here's another thought. Did you notice that when the Decpticon Troopers were shooting at CJ, he formed these little force fields that shielded him from the blasts? This CJ is already got a little auto-defense mechanism. The same thing could have shielded him from the blasts of the Energon mine. ...LIke I said, he could be the Wolverine of TFP!
perceptor
Site Admin

Postby Sabrblade » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:54 am

perceptor wrote:as well as seeing Bonecrusher,
We can't say for certain that that was him.

perceptor wrote:and Blackout
Confirmed to be Grindor, not Blackout, in the July 2009 Hasbro Q&A

LOLwut? :geek: :P

perceptor wrote:BTW, the fact that they've already discussed Unicron, only 2 episodes deep into the series... I'm still nerding out over that!
Yeah, dat was cool. 8-)

Though, I'm not really all that surprised, considering how well known Unicron was in Exodus and I think in WFC.

perceptor wrote:Here's another thought. Did you notice that when the Decpticon Troopers were shooting at CJ, he formed these little force fields that shielded him from the blasts? This CJ is already got a little auto-defense mechanism. The same thing could have shielded him from the blasts of the Energon mine. ...LIke I said, he could be the Wolverine of TFP!
Those could have come from his Dark Energon powers, but then again that remains to be seen, so... yeah.

BTW, they're "Eradicons".
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby DocWho » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:04 am

That's my theory as well.. I can't remember where, but I saw Welker record a line warning Prime about Unicron, which makes that viable.

Polenicus wrote:Unicron.com are my HEROES.

Follow me on Twitter
DocWho

Postby lioconvoy » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:51 am

i am liking the reference to unicron.

cj could use a shield to protect from the explosion but whether it is dark energon powers or not it is verry possible he can return even if he is a guest carictor.

herald is a possibility.

the quote of warning about unicron was from hubworld so i am crossing my fingers for unicron to make his pesance known in prime sooner or later
lioconvoy

Next

Return to Transformers - Cartoon Discussion