Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

DOTM resin mold prototypes

Want to join the Unicron.com news team? Just want to help out? If you find some Transformers news or rumors out there that you'd like to see up on Unicron.com, post them in here. Please credit/link to an original source, even if you found it on another Transformers site. We might just move your post to the Front Page News forum!

DOTM resin mold prototypes

Postby perceptor » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:44 pm

Here are the images originally hosted by dotmtoys.com before their bandwidth limits were exceeded.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Perceptor's thirst for knowledge is unquenchable. He will seek it to the exclusion of all else.<br>
Image
User avatar
perceptor
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1180
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:34 pm
Location: Maine

Re: DOTM resin mold prototypes

Postby Wing Saber » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:34 pm

Look like Insecticons to me
User avatar
Wing Saber
 
Posts: 2934
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:39 pm

Re: DOTM resin mold prototypes

Postby perceptor » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:39 pm

Looks like total sweetness to me.

Why is it that photos of resin prototypes look so spectacular? I remember when Hasbro was showing off images of the resin mold of the first movie voyager Ratchet. Something about it made it look absolutely stunning. Somehow even cooler than the full-color final product. I don't get it.
Perceptor's thirst for knowledge is unquenchable. He will seek it to the exclusion of all else.<br>
Image
User avatar
perceptor
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1180
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:34 pm
Location: Maine

Re: DOTM resin mold prototypes

Postby Wing Saber » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:04 am

perceptor wrote: I remember when Hasbro was showing off images of the resin mold of the first movie voyager Ratchet. Something about it made it look absolutely stunning. Somehow even cooler than the full-color final product. I don't get it.

Well I never saw that because I wasn't a member of this site at that time. I joined this site when the first look of Transformers Prime Bumblebee came out
User avatar
Wing Saber
 
Posts: 2934
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:39 pm

Re: DOTM resin mold prototypes

Postby Sabrblade » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:14 am

Moved to the News Forum, as this is definitely newsworthy.
perceptor wrote:Why is it that photos of resin prototypes look so spectacular? I remember when Hasbro was showing off images of the resin mold of the first movie voyager Ratchet. Something about it made it look absolutely stunning. Somehow even cooler than the full-color final product. I don't get it.
This might be just me, but I think there may be something about resin prototypes that look a little more "pristine" or "fresh" when compared to the final product. Almost as if a new form of life has just been born, completely pure and untainted by the natural world.

It's basically a deep form of purity in pre-toy form. :oops:
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
User avatar
Sabrblade
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8582
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:09 pm
Location: Tampa, FL

Re: DOTM resin mold prototypes

Postby perceptor » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:03 am

Wing Saber wrote:...I joined this site when the first look of Transformers Prime Bumblebee came out


Welcome onboard Wing Saber!
Perceptor's thirst for knowledge is unquenchable. He will seek it to the exclusion of all else.<br>
Image
User avatar
perceptor
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1180
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:34 pm
Location: Maine

Re: DOTM resin mold prototypes

Postby perceptor » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:10 am

Sabrblade wrote:This might be just me, but I think there may be something about resin prototypes that look a little more "pristine" or "fresh" when compared to the final product. Almost as if a new form of life has just been born, completely pure and untainted by the natural world.

It's basically a deep form of purity in pre-toy form. :oops:


Yeah, that's about right. Brother Brian (who works in injected molded plastics for a living) says that the reason those resin prototypes look so sharp is that all of their angles/edges come to sharp, points. Injection molded parts will have a more rounded look bec the tools (drill bits) they use to produce the molds can only get so small. They need to be thick enough, so that they can still cut the steel or aluminum (whatever their mold is made out of) so that it won't break. Thus, they'll have more rounded edges. Interesting.

However you slice it, that toy looks great!
Perceptor's thirst for knowledge is unquenchable. He will seek it to the exclusion of all else.<br>
Image
User avatar
perceptor
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1180
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:34 pm
Location: Maine

Re: DOTM resin mold prototypes

Postby Wing Saber » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:40 pm

perceptor wrote:Welcome onboard Wing Saber!

Thank you!
perceptor wrote:However you slice it, that toy looks great!

Personally, I don't like the smaller car's robot form. It's just to creepy and weird looking for me. Like I would be afraid it would come to life in the middle of the night and try to kill me
User avatar
Wing Saber
 
Posts: 2934
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:39 pm


Return to News & Rumors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests