Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Forum Contents

Can't find a category for your topic? Post your Transformers General Discussions here!

Forum Contents

Postby ShyGod » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:43 am

Hi. I'm new here. (though since this is a new forum I guess we all sort of are.) Been a Unicron news reader for years, and glad to see the site is getting it's own forum (totally digging the colors, by the way.). I'm sort of wondering what sort of boards and content will be in the forum once it's all nice and finished. I wasn't too sure where to post this as, well, the forum is somewhat incomplete. I hope posting this here isn't too much of an inconvenience.

A few suggestions for content:
A stickied Forum Rules thread, to tell the newbs (like me) where and what to post.

A series of specified forums for each of the following medias: Comics, Toys, Show/Movies, further divided into either 'New/Current' and 'Old/Archived', to organize between the newer and older toys/comics/shows... or simply sorted by the appropriate toy/comic/show line. You know, for ease of access and all that.

General Discussion
Toys Discussion
--G1
--Beastwars/machines
--RID
--Unicron Trilogy
--Live Action
--Animated
--Classics/Universe/Exclusives
--Customs
Comics Discussion
(divide into old/marvel/Dreamwave and IDW?)
Show/Movie Discussion
--(same here as toys, I guess?)

In addition to this the general discussions board, perhaps throw a few others in there like kitbash/customs, artwork/fanart, and stories/fanfiction...?

I'm sure the staff in palce already has much of this figured out, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to throw some ideas out there.
Again, I hope this isn't too presumptuous of me. Here's to hoping the forum turns out well. :)
"Et In Arcadia Ego Sum"
ShyGod

Re: Forum Contents

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:07 am

Hi there. Glad you could join us.

I appreciate your ideas for ways to make this forum bigger and better. And we hope to expand on it when the time comes.

However, as this forum was just "born" a few day ago. As it's just getting on its feet, we're taking it's evolution in baby steps. For now we're going by a "less is better" idea.

But as more people join and this forum continues to grow, we may move on to making this place bigger and more impressive. But this may occur later on in the future (not the near future, but certainly NOT the distant future, somewhere in between).
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ShyGod » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:10 am

Aye I figured as much. I apoloize if it seemed like I was expecting this to happen over night or something. Was not the intent. :) Thank you for the response, and again, I hope to see this place grow. I imagine after Wednesday (or whenever the general populace sees ROTF), the forum's numbers will grow. Here's to growth!
ShyGod

Future of the Forum

Postby Obsidian » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:19 pm

Yeah, I'd like to echo, thanks for the ideas. I'm really where the decision to keep things simple came from. Ironically, before making the forum live I started out making a thick catagory structure much like you are suggesting. We decided to go the lest is more route to start out with instead because it encourages more growth/activity instead of potentially having more structure than we're really using at this moment. I can tell you for sure that these categories are very preliminary and will definitely be changing as we go. It's just a starting point.

As far as the rules and things go, we've given that some conversation/consiteration as well. One nice thing about a new forum community is that we can all decide these things together as we go. Sure we'll probably run into some kinks and jags here and there, but hopefully this can be a place where we (as a larger community) are invested in this forum rather than a top down "here's how it's going to be" approach. Perhaps, to really bring this idea to fruition we could start a "What kind of rules would you like to see" topic. That way we call all make suggestions as to the structure and rules of the forum.

This is all pretty experiemental, but that's why we're considering the forum to still be in a beta phase. Thanks for your interest. We're really excited about the potential here, and hope you join us in growing, defining, contributing to, and being this forum.
-Obsidian
(Unicron.com)
Obsidian
Site Admin

Postby blukis » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:10 am

The only rule that comes to mind right away is "Spoilers have to be very obviously marked as spoilers." Oh, of course in addition to "Don't be a jerk."

As for the forum structure, I agree that it's confusing where to post things the way it is. My opinion (at least for now) is we should make separate forums for places we want to have separate communities (because people might keep up on some forums, and never look at others). So it might make sense to me to expand into dedicated forums for non-tf-related, fanfics, customs/alterations, maybe hot-news, (but probably none right away). But I don't think we'd want a different forum community for ROTF, Beast Wars, Energon, etc.

Also, I agree that a sticky "how to use this forum" thread for each forum might be nice for new people. Even if it just says, "Here is where you can post anything related to Transformers", it would add some context for what's going on for new visitors. (Of course, basically everyone is a new visitor now.)

my 2¢
Unicron.com - Brian L - Image / tw / fb
blukis
Site Admin

Postby blukis » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:26 am

An even higher-level thought (that's hopefully related enough to be in this topic!)...
I think the top logo should say "Unicron.com Forum" rather than just "Unicron.com". Any other ideas for a name for the whole forum?
Unicron.com - Brian L - Image / tw / fb
blukis
Site Admin

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:19 am

blukis wrote:An even higher-level thought (that's hopefully related enough to be in this topic!)...
I think the top logo should say "Unicron.com Forum" rather than just "Unicron.com". Any other ideas for a name for the whole forum?
How about "The Pit Forums" as the Universe comics from BotCon showed the Pit to be inside Unicron, and this would be like the opposite of The Allspark Forums.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ShyGod » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:00 pm

Amusing, Sabrblade, as I was about to suest the same name until I saw your post.

Glad to see that there is some discussion going on about.. discussions.

And yeah, I agree the number 1 rule should easily be "Don't be a jerk"

Hmm a bit off topic but, where would I go to post, say a photo of my collection? Here I guess? For the time being. :-p I saw that whole "CNN" newspost over at Seibertron and figured actual fans might appreciate the photo more than some CNN newsies...
ShyGod

Return to Transformers - General Discussion