Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

What's everyone watching/reading/playing/viewing right now?

Non-TF related Conversations

Re: What's everyone watching/reading/playing/viewing right n

Postby cyberwuss » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:52 am

Currently reading Brandon Mull's "The Beyonders: Chasing the Prophecy" and another add on I found close to it in the scifi section of library "Death's Heretic" by James Sutter.

Getting hyped for next season of Green Arrow, thinking maybe Deadshot is Billy Wintergreen in this incarnation?
The coward desires revenge but being afraid to die, he looks to others, maybe to the government of the day, to do the work of defense for him.
cyberwuss

Postby Wing Saber » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:13 pm

cyberwuss wrote:Getting hyped for next season of Green Arrow, thinking maybe Deadshot is Billy Wintergreen in this incarnation?

No, Deadshot has been revealed several times to be Floyd Lawton.
Wing Saber

Postby Wing Saber » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:16 pm

Ok, so far, I'm pretty disappointed with Avengers Assemble. It's a step down from it's predacessor, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (Note: I'm not saying they're in the same continuity, I said predacessor because it was the avengers show that aired before assemble). My primary reason for this is the characters. So far, they've only done characters from the movie (Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Hawkeye, Black Widow), save for one. That one being Falcoln, who I find to be really annoying. I was really hoping to see some other ones, such as Black Panther, Ant-Man, Vision, Captain Marvel, etc.
And now for the characters they do show.
Iron Man has been decent, but he's been one dimensional so far (Big ego and smart with tech)
Captain America has been better, I like his character so far
Hawkeye is a step up from the movies, actually making a witty comment every once in a while, but other than that he just kinda stays in the background and fires some arrows occasionally
Hulk is significantly more intelligent than he should be, making full, intelligent sounding comments.
Thor is pretty decent so far
Black Widow has had no characterization other than "I'm a shield agent. I'm here to watch you"
Wing Saber

Postby Sabrblade » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:28 pm

Wing Saber wrote:Hulk is significantly more intelligent than he should be, making full, intelligent sounding comments.
Out of curiosity, ever see the animated "Planet Hulk" movie?
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Wing Saber » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:35 pm

Sabrblade wrote:Out of curiosity, ever see the animated "Planet Hulk" movie?

Nope. My exposure to Hulk has been The Incredible Hulk(Movie), The Avengers (movie), Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (Show), Ultimate Spider-Man (show), and now this. I was hesitant when typing that one, because I wasn't sure if her was supposed to be protrayed that way and the movies changed things.
Wing Saber

Postby cyberwuss » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:43 pm

Been reading, "The Trail To Seven Pines" by Louis Lamour, probably my favorite western author of all time. The way he arranges words is more masterful than any author I've ever read.

Cut tons of lawn this morning, with this weather the grass has been growing quickly.
The coward desires revenge but being afraid to die, he looks to others, maybe to the government of the day, to do the work of defense for him.
cyberwuss

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:56 pm

Wing Saber wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:Out of curiosity, ever see the animated "Planet Hulk" movie?

Nope. My exposure to Hulk has been The Incredible Hulk(Movie), The Avengers (movie), Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (Show), Ultimate Spider-Man (show), and now this. I was hesitant when typing that one, because I wasn't sure if her was supposed to be protrayed that way and the movies changed things.
Let's just say his intelligence varies from writer to writer.

As for the movie, I'd recommend checking it out.

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:05 pm

Yeah the hulk is more than well a hulk and over the years there have been several versions of him as well. You know red and green but there's also grey, blue, zombie, and warbound incarnations.
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:16 pm

ironrod prime wrote:Yeah the hulk is more than well a hulk and over the years there have been several vred ersions of him as well. You know red and green but there's also grey, blue, zombie, and warbound incarnations.
Isn't Red Hulk really General Ross instead of Bruce Banner, though?

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:52 pm

My latest viewings that I last wrote about have been derailed and put on hold due to a new viewing that I've been occupied with lately.

One word: DinoZaurs!

Released in Japan in 1998 by Bandai and Sunrise, the DinoZone series served as a rival to Hasbro's and TakaraTomy's various Beast Wars cartoons, in an attempt to cash in on the "transforming animal warrior" craze of the late 90's.

By the year 2000, the toyline was brought over by Bandai of America and released in the U.S. under the English name of "DinoZaurs". The anime was brought over as well, dubbed by then-popular children's television company Saban Entertainment, who had made themselves famous for such series as Power Rangers, X-Men: The Animated Series, Spider-Man: The Animated Series, and the English dubs of several children's anime series as Samurai Pizza Cats, Digimon, Flint the Time Detective, Shinzo, Mon Colle Knights, Transformers: Robots in Disguise, and more.

The show consisted of 26 episodes, though, for some reason, the who was canceled in the U.S. after episode 20, with the last six episodes having only aired in other countries. That's where I'm at now in my watching, episode 20. Someone uploaded all 26 episodes to YouTube, so now I only have episodes that are "new" to me left to watch.

After 65 million years, the evil Dragozaurs ("Death Eaters" in the Japanese version) have returned to Earth with the intent of devouring its supply of lifeforce and rendering the planet a dead, lifeless husk, just as they have done to countless other worlds. But, standing in their way are the Earth's mightiest guardians, the Dino Knights ("Dinosoldiers" in Japan), a group of super-enhanced, augmented dinosaurs given the power to transform into humanoid warrior forms by the Ancients. They are awakened by a young human boy, Kaito Tatsuno, who, along with his friend Rena, serve as the Dino Knights' allies in the war against the Dragozaurs, led by the malevolent Diamond Ryugu, a giant female (but male in Japan) Ankylosaurus who resembles the stuff of nightmares.

The seven main Dino Knights are led by Dino Tyranno, who wields the Silver Sword. Dino Brachio is the second-in-command; knowedgeable and wise, he wields the Axe of Valor. Dino Stego is the "tough guy" of the group with an attitude, armed with the Stego Skeletal Revolution. Dino Sabre is the youngest Dino Knight whose youthful and energetic, but NOT troublesome; armed with the Sabre Wailing Whip. Dino Ptera is the confident, high-flying female of the group (who might have been male in the Japanese version), armed with the Ptera Bristle Boomerang. Dino Tricera is the impulsive, boastful one who wields the Tricera Spears of Jade. Dino Mammoth is the levelheaded strongman of the team who wields the Mammoth Tusks of Vigor.

Kaito and Rena are the keepers of the Dino Daggers, legendary mystical weapons that hold the power to re-energize the Dino Knights' energy (think Sari's key from TF Animated, only not as powerful or immediate in healing). They are eventually joined by a third human teen named Rick, who comes to wield a mysterious third Dino Dagger that powers three additional Dino Knights called the Cerazaur Brothers. They are Dino Centro ("Dino Centros" in Japan), who wields the Fossil Sun Sword, Dino Toro ("Dino Chasmos" in Japan), who wields the Fossil Moon Sword, and the eldest brother Dino Styrako ("Dino Styras" in Japan), who wields the Styrako Sword of Stealth. The three of them are akin to the Three Muskateers ("One for all and all for one!") and combine to form the master swordsman Triblades.

There is also another trio of special Dino Knights called the Dino Weapons ("Weaponsaurus DinoArms" in Japan) who become melee weapons that attach to the larger Dino Knights to use. Dino Pachy speaks with a slight surfer dude accent and forms the Pachy Spiked Sword. Dino Kenty is meek and calm-minded, and forms the Kenty Skeletal Drill. Dino Arch is the least disciplined of the three and forms the Arch Bone Shield.

There is also the female Dino Icthyo (nicknamed "Theo") who is a master in underwater combat. And the legendary Dino Ramph, who is not an ordinary being but an all powerful manifestation of pure lifeforce given physical form.

The Dragozaur army corps consist mostly of generic Allosaurus-based minions, who cannot transform like the Dino Knights. However, higher up in the ranks include Drago Wing ("Nightwing" in Japan), Diamond Ryugu's second-in-command who turns into a giant demon-like bat. One of the most powerful of the Dragozaurs is the solitary warrior Gigano Dragon, who turns into a serpentine Asian dragon and holds a bitter grudge-like rivalry with the leader of the Dino Knights, Dino Tyranno. A later addition to the roster is the distrustful Dark Dragon, a dark arts wizard whose wings form a cloaked appearance for his "robot mode" and came the closest to killing not one but two of the Dino Knights at once.

To enhance the might of the Dragozaur forces, Diamond Ryugu created the Drago Clones ("Shadow Warriors" in Japan), evil duplicates of the seven main Dino Knights who gave them a run for their money and lasted throughout the series, but not without a few casualties to their ranks along the way. They are Drago Tyran, Drago Brachio, Drago Stegus, Drago Tigra, Drago Dactyl, Drago Ceratops, and Drago Elephas (their Japanese names are the same as the main seven Dino Knights, but with "Shadow" in place of "Dino", i.e. - "Shadow Tyranno", "Shadow Brachio", etc.).

Though the dialogue can be (and often is) immensely cheesy and ill-fitting to the what's happening onscreen, the action is still decent and episodes 12-15 were some of the most awesome episodes I recall from childhood. It's mostly the action and my nostalgia that's keeping me hooked on the series. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking for something serious or intense. I only recommend it to those who also grew up watching it, or those who honestly enjoy/don't mind watching an action series who's dialogue is a bit on the campy side. And that theme song sure doesn't make for a good first impression (but in my case, after having listened to it again and again, I've been cringing less and less and getting used to it more and more). ;)

Sabrblade
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Open Forum