Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Movie Critic Opinions

Non-TF related Conversations

Movie Critic Opinions

Postby cyberwuss » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:01 pm

DOTM is already getting bad reviews from professional movie critics. I can't stand the way these guys are. First off they all have this attitude that their vote is the only one that counts. It's sort of like a diet expert telling people who like pizza not to eat pizza because it is horrible for you, neglecting the fact that regular people are going to eat pizza anyway. I am hyped about DOTM and going to see it in theatres anyway. On the flip side, there are movies that won academy awards and oscars and got great reviews from professional critics that I never want to see again. For example Schindler's List. It is an important movie on an important historical event I agree. I have nothing against Jews or anything like that, but most of the movie is like reliving WW2, and who among us wants to go back to the 1940s and fight WW2 again (who is in their right mind that is). I have seen the movie and am familiar with the history of it all, but I don't want to see it again after watching it on TV because of the huge amount of misery involved in it and I can't imagine watching it in a theatre because of its graphic nature. The same goes with many other award winning films about WW2, like Saving Private Ryan. So to get to my final point, I think that many action movies that never had wide professional critic recognition are better remembered than many that did. As an example, jump back to Godzilla and King Kong type movies that best fit what Transformers is like and try to remember all the academy award winners from that era. It's hard to do unless you are just a geek for those old movies. I have nothing against that if its your thing, but you can't force your thing onto someone else like these critics are want to do in the newspapers and expect them to respect the way you see your movies. It's the same reason why you can't expect everyone you know to vote your way in a presidential election, it just won't happen. I suppose I see movie critics as being against individuality, and I just think that is horrible. I was just wondering what your opinions of these guys is so post your thoughts below!
The coward desires revenge but being afraid to die, he looks to others, maybe to the government of the day, to do the work of defense for him.
cyberwuss

Re: Movie Critic Opinions

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:11 pm

Well, such people as Roger Ebert and the late Gene Siskel have/had the credibility to back their claims.

You just have to put yourself in their shows and see things from their perspective. Not everyone is going to like the same things, that's true, but at least listen to what they're saying and try to see where they're coming from.

Besides, I would think that someone who makes their living by watching/analyzing/critiquing feature films would be more qualified be called an expert at making a fair enough judgement of said films than the average joe who goes to the movies and gets lost in the flare and the loudness of the films and would thus miss the deeper concepts and themes implemented into the movies. ;)
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:06 pm

the bottom line most crittics get paiid more to write bad reviews than good reviews thats the way it works now a days

me personaly i dont listen to them at all i'll acasionaly watch a review on youtube by dcompose or somebody else but ultimately i decide on wrether a movie is good or not

case in point i actualy liked batman and robin(cheesiness and all)
ironrod prime

Postby cyberwuss » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:13 am

ironrod prime wrote:the bottom line most crittics get paiid more to write bad reviews than good reviews thats the way it works now a days

me personaly i dont listen to them at all i'll acasionaly watch a review on youtube by dcompose or somebody else but ultimately i decide on wrether a movie is good or not

Lol batman and robin if its the one Im thinking of was pretty good with the whole riddler saying he is batman scene :p. I sometimes get "and robin" and "forever" confused I just know they are the ones with riddler/twoface or freeze/ivy/bane
The coward desires revenge but being afraid to die, he looks to others, maybe to the government of the day, to do the work of defense for him.
cyberwuss

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:34 am

cyberwuss wrote:
ironrod prime wrote:the bottom line most crittics get paiid more to write bad reviews than good reviews thats the way it works now a days

Lol batman and robin if its the one Im thinking of was pretty good with the whole riddler saying he is batman scene :p. I sometimes get "and robin" and "forever" confused I just know they are the ones with riddler/twoface or freeze/ivy/bane
Batman Forever is the one with Riddler/Twoface. Batman & Robin is the one with the ice-obsessed Mr. Freeze/shallow Poison Ivy/boring Bane.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Return to Open Forum