Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

from ponies to farries

Non-TF related Conversations

from ponies to farries

Postby ironrod prime » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:32 pm

since saberblade has discussed his liking for my little ponny freindship is magic

id like to discuss another not so macho show called the winx club which i have (somwhat ashamedly) grown to like mostly for the story of the main character but overall its not a terrible show granted it is abit girly at times but thats to be expected

so has anybody seen the show do you like it do you hate it or did you even know it existed

just curious
ironrod prime

Re: from ponies to farries

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:00 am

Ah, Winx Club. I saw the 4Kids dub years ago, and it was alright, though they never got passed season 3. Haven't looked into the new dub on Nick yet, though I hear it's better (even keeping Layla's original name of "Aisha" intact).

It was decent attempt by Italy to create an action show for girls (though, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is still the more manly between the two :P ) and was smart to include a cast male characters who could fight along with them, rather than just one or two males a la Sailor Moon.

One thing I found rather intriguing about this show was its male villains from season 2 and 3, Lord Darkar and Valtor. Darkar was a rather demonic figure for something so girly and yet he was also a tad bit slightly over the top enough to not feel like an outsider in this show. His plans were devious and manipulative, using a double agent planted inside Alfea to sabotage the girls from within, and even corrupt Bloom to the dark side .

Valtor, however, was a different variety of villain from Darkar. Whereas Lord Darkar was all shadowy and devilish, Valtor was more refined and calculating. In fact, he didn't even look like a villain. He bore the appearance of a gentleman with class and sophistication. And yet, combined with his competence, that made him all the more menacing. The fact that he didn't look like some Satan-spawned monster but more like a civilized prince charming helped make him all the more diabolical. Coupled with the fact that the girls couldn't touch him! He was ALWAYS one step ahead of them and they were always helpless when confronting him. for a while, the only victories they scored over him were from some new MacGuffin or sheer good fortune. He was to Winx Club what Vamdemon was to Digimon Adventure. Though, also like Vamdemon, he met his demise at the end after assuming his "true form" - a large ogre like form. And we all know that when a great villain turns monster-like, they're almost certain to be defeated pretty soon. :roll:
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:00 pm

Sabrblade wrote:Ah, Winx Club. I saw the 4Kids dub years ago, and it was alright, though they never got passed season 3. Haven't looked into the new dub on Nick yet, though I hear it's better (even keeping Layla's original name of "Aisha" intact).

actualy the nick version uses a new voice cast, splices the original episodes together, adds new dialog, and changes quite a few things(ex sky is now a prince)
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:14 pm

ironrod prime wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:Ah, Winx Club. I saw the 4Kids dub years ago, and it was alright, though they never got passed season 3. Haven't looked into the new dub on Nick yet, though I hear it's better (even keeping Layla's original name of "Aisha" intact).

actualy the nick version uses a new voice cast, splices the original episodes together, adds new dialog, and changes quite a few things(ex sky is now a prince)
That's why I said "new dub".

Though, the spliced together things are TV specials they made to sum up the firsttwo season so they could start the series off at season 3 instead of season 1... for some reason. :|

Plus, Sky was always a prince.

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:33 pm

sky was never a prince brandon was
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:40 pm

ironrod prime wrote:sky was never a prince brandon was
Don't you remember? They switched names and identities in season 1 so Sky could see what it was like to be a regular guy and for his own protection. All was revealed when Diaspro, his (ex-)fiance, showed up in episode 17.

I think you're confusing their names around. Sky is the blonde-haired boyfriend of Bloom, and Brandon is the brown-haired boyfriend of Stella.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:26 pm

i know who sky is because everytime i here him talk i cant help wanting to play a childrens card game

its been awhile since ive seen the show i just started re-watching episodes on youtube im only on episode 4
ironrod prime

Return to Open Forum