Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

teenage alien ninja turtles ?

Non-TF related Conversations

teenage alien ninja turtles ?

Postby ironrod prime » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:51 am

the below is an article from yahoo about the new tmnt movie schedualed to be released in 2013 and you'll never guess whos behind the wheel :twisted:

Michael Bay seems to be at it again: This time the creator of mega-blockbusters is planning to produce a new, live-action version of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles." But, if he has his way, he may need to change the name to "Not So Mutant" Alien Turtles. Definitely less catchy.

The "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" director told a crowd recently at the Nickelodeon Upfront New York event that instead of the series fans have loved about a mutant strain of turtles from earth who are obsessed with pizza and turn into two-footed creatures thanks to some transmutant goo, Bay's reptiles will simply be an alien race.

As first called out on the blog StuffWeLike, Bay explained his vision for the 2013 remake: "When you see this movie, kids are going to believe, one day, that these turtles actually do exist when we are done with this movie." Wha? And then, "The turtles are from an alien race, and they are going to be tough, edgy, funny, and completely loveable."

For those a little fuzzy on these "loveable" creatures: First, it was a cartoon. Then it became a live-action film franchise in the 1990s. The original story revolves around four mutant two-footed turtles who are trained by a rat on the art of being ninjas, and are named after Renaissance artists. The four fight crime from their home base in the sewers of New York City.

The comic book, then television show, and finally film franchise were popular in the late '80s and early '90s. It is, in short, the perfect vehicle to be mucked up by Bay. At least that's how fans reacted on Twitter and blogs.

Illuminati tweeted, "Michael Bay is re-making Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. If Michael Bay destroys this classic, he will surely be sacrificed for his mistakes."

A fan of the "TMNT" bemoaned, "'TMNT' fans, prepare to have Michael Bay destroy your childhood the same way he's already done with mine. Three words: They are aliens." The A.V. Club opined, "Bay's willingness to reshape Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles bows to no canonical authority—not even that inherent in its title."

The blog /Film agreed, arguing, "If you're going to make a movie about mutant turtles, that's what they should be, right?" Bay will produce the movie. Jonathan Liebesman ("Wrath of the Titans") will direct.

In response to the outcry from fans, Bay posted this statement on his official website:

Fans need to take a breath, and chill. They have not read the script. Our team is working closely with one of the original creators of Ninja Turtles to help expand and give a more complex back story. Relax, we are including everything that made you become fans in the first place. We are just building a richer world.

Fans can be on the lookout for the new, probably explosion-filled, action-packed alien version of "TMNT" that is scheduled to open December 25, 2013.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok ok so before everyone goes heywire i just want to point out tmnt is no stranger to aliens(atleast when it comes to one series in particular)for those who have seen the 2003 cartoon know that aleins play a major part in the series so maybe bay has taken this into consideration but most likely not

you may now go nuts :twisted:
ironrod prime

Re: teenage alien ninja turtles ?

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:26 pm

Bay's not directing. He's producing.

That said,
For those a little fuzzy on these "loveable" creatures: First, it was a cartoon.
WRONG!!!!!!!! Itr was a comic book! A dark, edgy, gritty, gruesome, comic book! Get your fact straight, Yahoo!. :-(

The comic book, then television show, and finally film franchise were popular in the late '80s and early '90s.
What, no love for the 2003 series? Ignoring the Next Mutation show I can understand, but still!

In response to the outcry from fans, Bay posted this statement on his official website:

Fans need to take a breath, and chill. They have not read the script. Our team is working closely with one of the original creators of Ninja Turtles to help expand and give a more complex back story. Relax, we are including everything that made you become fans in the first place.
Them not being aliens was one of those aspects that we liked.

We are just building a richer world.
Translation: "We don't care about the fans or the lore and so we're making it how we want it to be. So, nyaaaah!" :P

ironrod prime wrote:ok ok so before everyone goes heywire i just want to point out tmnt is no stranger to aliens(atleast when it comes to one series in particular)for those who have seen the 2003 cartoon know that aleins play a major part in the series so maybe bay has taken this into consideration but most likely not
Both the Federation and the Triceraton story arcs in that series were adaptations of similar story arcs from the Mirage Comics. The "Fast Forward" season 6 may have also had aliens, but it made the Turtles stand out more with their being Earthlings among aliens.

But what this news evokes seems to stem more from the 1987 cartoon two-part episode "Planet of the Turtleloids" in which the Turtles are transported to a planet by humanoid turtle-like creatures like themselves. Bay is essentially making the them be Turtleloids instead of mutated Earth turtles, which robs them of their uniqueness and makes them into another species of B-Movie styled lifeforms. :-(

And taking into account the TMNT multiverse as established in the Turtles Forever movie, the concept of the Turtles being aliens simply CANNOT work, as all TMNT universes stem from the same source, in which the Turtles are mutated Earth turtles. Making them aliens simply violates the fundamental nature of their existence in this multiverse, otherwise they aren't "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles", but instead are "Teenage Mutant Ninja Aliens" or Teenage Alien Ninja Turtles".

Bay, go back to non-toy movies and leave our childhoods alone. :evil: I'll be over here waiting for Nickelodeon's new CGI TMNT cartoon.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:09 pm

Sabrblade wrote:Bay, go back to non-toy movies and leave our childhoods alone. :evil: I'll be over here waiting for Nickelodeon's new CGI TMNT cartoon.

and now my answer
Sabrblade wrote:Bay's not directing. He's producing.
ironrod prime

Postby CYLON (13) » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:41 pm

My curiosity is piqued...

I'm not thrilled of the alien thing either, the 2003 series penciled them in quite nicely, though. The turtles themselves, though? Hrm...

I wont say that I'm against the origin re-working, but I'm slightly skepticle.
"I will move away from here, you wont be afraid of fear" Nirvana
CYLON (13)

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:09 pm

ironrod prime wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:Bay, go back to non-toy movies and leave our childhoods alone. :evil: I'll be over here waiting for Nickelodeon's new CGI TMNT cartoon.

and now my answer
Sabrblade wrote:Bay's not directing. He's producing.
He's still heavily involved (Producer is an important role in the story) and approves of this.

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:47 pm

http://blastr.com/2012/03/teenage-mutant-ninja-turt.php

Reading this article has me thinking differently now.

Looks like the co-creator involved with this is Kevin Eastman, one of the original creators of TMNT, and he's fully confident in this being something the fans will like. Though, well, first let me point this out:
While doing press rounds today for his new movie, Wrath of the Titans, director Jonathan Liebesman spoke with us about the furor raging around producer Bay's revelation that the new Turtles would be aliens, and not normal Earth creatures mutated by radioactive ooze. While Liebesman said that Bay's comments were "taken out of context," he also said, "The fans can rest assured that what we're doing is extremely exciting to me as a huge fan of the Turtles and to Kevin [Eastman, Turtles co-creator] also."

That sort of jibes with what Eastman himself said earlier about the project, and in fact Liebesman seemed to suggest to us that the former is now directly involved with the film. "I've just literally been locked in a room with Kevin Eastman and the two writers [Josh Appelbaum and Andre Nemec]," the director said. "I think firstly, the fans are gonna love what we come up with. It's all stuff that Kevin, who co-created the Turtles, has been wanting to do for a while. Everything we come up with will tie right back in with the mythology."

Liebesman appears to be on board with the "alien" origins of the Turtles—although he clarified the concept a little more in an interview also done today with Collider: "If everyone was such a die-hard fan, they would know that the TCRI canisters where the ooze comes from, that is alien ooze."
That has me feel a little relieved, though I'd be moreso if we had confirmation that just the ooze is alien in origin and not the Turtles.

I guess one could think of them as "aliens" if they were Earth turtles mutated by alien ooze, thinking that the alien ooze turns the Earth turtles *into* "alien turtles", which is the vibe I'm getting from this article. But, technically, that isn't how being an alien works. Being a creature coming from another planet = alien. Being a domestic creature mutated into another form by alien ooze =/= alien. So, maybe they're just using the term loosely rather than literally, which would be a big sign of relief for me.

Or, Bay just wasn't paying attention and jumped the gun on thinking they're aliens when it's just the ooze and not them that's out of this world.

Consider me now "skeptical" instead of "appalled". :|

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:16 am

really saber you didnt know the ooze was created by aliens this was all explaind in the 2003 series

also while i agree the ooze does not make them full aliens it does make them part aliens in the same way genetics can make you part black
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:00 pm

ironrod prime wrote:really saber you didnt know the ooze was created by aliens this was all explaind in the 2003 series
Bay was implying that there would be no ooze, that the Turtles would just be an alien species. I knew good and well about the ooze. What I didn't know (what nobody knew, FYI) was that they would be having the alien ooze in this movie. With the Turtles being aliens, there's no need for any ooze. But now that the director has clarified, it looks like Bay was just trolling us.

ironrod prime wrote:also while i agree the ooze does not make them full aliens it does make them part aliens in the same way genetics can make you part black
Like I said, they may be using the term loosely rather than literally.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby CYLON (13) » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:38 pm

I think the working title is "Ninja Turtles", without the Teenage Mutant part.
"I will move away from here, you wont be afraid of fear" Nirvana
CYLON (13)

Return to Open Forum