Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

So long Toonzai, hello Vortexx. Saban's new Sat AM lineup!

Non-TF related Conversations

So long Toonzai, hello Vortexx. Saban's new Sat AM lineup!

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:49 pm

Anybody remember 4Kids Entertainment? The guys originally responsible for dubbing Pokemon and later for taking over the Saturday morning timeslots of both Fox Kids and Kids WB? Remember how they made Fox Box, then 4Kids TV, then The CW4Kids, and now Toonzai? Well, we can finally say goodbye to 4Kids and their programming blocks because they have gone BANKRUPT!

Now, for those who still remotely care about these people, you might be wondering what's going to happen to the timeslot that Toonzai occupied on The CW. Well, it's being taken over by another company. A company whom many of us 90's children ought to be familiar with: SABAN! Saban Capital Group, that is (Saban Entertainment went under years ago). And in place of 4Kids' league of programming comes a new programming block that mixes things up a bit, calling back to the days of not only Fox Kids but Kids WB and even some lingering Toonzai shows: Vortexx.

For the whole story, see the following ANN news stories below:

Konami to Get 4Kids' Yu-Gi-Oh! Assets Under Proposed Deal
On Friday, North American anime distributor 4Kids filed a notice in its bankruptcy case that outlines who will take over its contracts and obligations. Under a proposed agreement, Kidsco Media Ventures LLC (an affiliate of Saban Capital) and 4K Acquisition Corp. (an indirect subsidiary of Japan's Konami Corporation) would divide the assets and obligations of 4Kids.

The proposed agreement has not been finalized, since Judge Shelley C. Chapman still has to approve the proposed agreement after a June 20 hearing.

If approved, the "Proposed Transaction" would assign several 4Kids contracts to Saban's Kidsco Media Ventures, including the following:

•The CW Network's Saturday Morning programming block (currently known as Toonzai) agreement terms
•Four Cubix agreements with Daiwon C & A Holdings, Cinepix, East Japan Marketing & Communications, CSC Media Group
•Dragon Ball agreement terms with Toei Animation and Funimation Productions
•Sonic X agreement with TMS Entertainment

If approved, the proposed transaction would also assign the following contracts and others to Konami's 4K Acquisition Corp.:

•Yu-Gi-Oh! distribution agreement with Warner Bros.
•2003 Yu-Gi-Oh! movie deal memo with TV Tokyo, Nhon Ad Systems, Shueisha
•Yu-Gi-Oh! 3D: Bonds Beyond Time movie deal memo with TV Tokyo, Nhon Ad Systems
•TV Tokyo's agreement for Yu-Gi-Oh! seasons 1-3
•Nihon Ad Systems's agreement for Yu-Gi-Oh!
•Yu-Gi-Oh! music and soundtrack agreements with Cherry Lane, SKG Music, RCA Music Group
•Yu-Gi-Oh! merchandise license agreements with 2Feet, A&A Global Industries, Bentex Group/Extreme Concepts, Boss Creations International, Coveroo, Konami, and others
•Yu-Gi-Oh! foreign broadcast licenses to Ares Films, Digital Platform Iletisim Hizmetleri, KM Productions, Magus Entertainment, Nickelodeon UK, SIC TV, Televix Entertainment, Turner, United Channels of Israel, YTV, and others
•The lease on 4Kids Entertainment's 23rd/24th Street offices in New York City

The formal bankruptcy auction for "substantially all of [4Kids'] assets" began on June 5 between Konami's 4K Acquisition Corp. and Saban's Kidsco Media Ventures LLC. However, after a series of bids, the auction was adjourned to allow the two parties to consider an agreement that would split 4Kids' assets between them.

Konami is the Japanese licensor and distributor of the Yu-Gi-Oh! card game, while Saban once produced the Fox Kids programming block. (4Kids also once produced Fox's Saturday morning programming until 2008.)

4Kids Sells Yu-Gi-Oh!, CW Network-Related Assets Jointly to Konami, Kidsco
The United States Bankruptcy Court in the Southern District of New York filed a document on Tuesday after a 10:00 a.m. EDT hearing granting the sale of 4Kids' Yu-Gi-Oh! and CW Network-related assets to a joint bid by Saban's Kidsco Media Ventures LLC and Konami's 4K Acquisition Corp.

During a June 5 auction for the assets, 4Kids considered the joint bid "after a number of rounds of competitive bidding" by Kidsco and 4K, and the three companies agreed to the joint bid on Sunday.

The executed Asset Purchase Agreement document filed on June 24 outlining the joint bid notes that the purchase price for the assets is "Fifteen Million One Hundred Thousand Dollars ($15,000,000)." A final document clarifying whether the purchase price is US$15 million or US$15.1 million has not yet been filed, although the document filed on June 24 mentions US$15 million in another section.

4Kids had filed a notice on June 15 proposing that KidsCo and Konami would divide the assets and obligations of 4Kids.

According to the executed Asset Purchase Agreement, Konami will receive the rights to the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime franchise, which includes — aside from all production materials — internet domain names, website assets, print publications published by 4Kids, and music and sound recording rights. The company will also receive machinery and recording/editing equipment as well as office equipment, furniture, and computers located at 4Kids' 23rd Street offices in New York.

Kidsco will receive rights to the Dragon Ball Z agreement terms with Toei Animation and Funimation Productions that includes Dragon Ball Z Kai; the Cubix agreements with Daiwon C & A Holdings, Cinepix, and East Japan Marketing & Communications; the Sonic X agreement with TMS Entertainment; and The CW Network's Saturday Morning programming block agreement terms.

Konami is the Japanese licensor and distributor of the Yu-Gi-Oh! card game, while Saban once produced the Fox Kids programming block. (4Kids also once produced Fox's Saturday morning programming until 2008.)

Saban Returns to Saturday Mornings With Vortexx TV Block
Saban Brands announced the upcoming launch of Vortexx, its Saturday morning television block, at Comic-Con International Thursday. Starting August 25, the block will replace 4Kids' Toonzai block and run from 7:00 a.m. to noon on CW-affiliated stations. Saban Brands also confirmed that the block will be available online and on mobile devices as well.

Saban Brand president Elie Dekel stated, "Vortexx will have the shows that our audience knows and loves, with a mix that is very different from anything else — a programming lineup that features electrifying moments of action and humor, and stories that feature characters that are larger than life, but also very relatable."

The line-up includes Saban staple Power Rangers (currently in its 20th season) and Yu-Gi-Oh! Saban acquired the programming block rights after 4Kids' assets were split between Saban's Kidsco Media Ventures LLC and Konami's 4K Acquisition Corp in bankruptcy court last month. Saban also assumed the Dragon Ball Z agreement terms with Toei Animation and Funimation Productions that includes Dragon Ball Z Kai; the Cubix agreements with Daiwon C & A Holdings, Cinepix, and East Japan Marketing & Communications; and the Sonic X agreement with TMS Entertainment.

Dragon Ball Z Kai, Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's, and Sonic X all previously aired on the Toonzai block.

4Kids' former online streaming site Toonzaki will be run by Konami according to the site's official Facebook page.

Saban Debuts Vortexx TV with Yu-Gi-Oh, DBZ Kai, Rangers
Saban Brands announced its August 25 launch line-up for Vortexx, its Saturday morning television block on Friday.

7:00 a.m. CubixIn

7:30 a.m. Rescue Heroes

8:00 a.m. Power Rangers: Lost Galaxy

8:30 a.m. Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal

9:00 a.m. Iron Man: Armored Adventures

9:30 a.m. Justice League Unlimited

10:00 a.m. WWE Saturday Morning Slam

10:30 a.m. Dragon Ball Z Kai

11:00 a.m. Yu-Gi-Oh! Classic

11:30 a.m. Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal

Saban acquired 4Kids' Toonzai programming block rights after 4Kids' assets were split between Saban's Kidsco Media Ventures LLC and Konami's 4K Acquisition Corp in bankruptcy court in June. Saban also assumed the Dragon Ball Z agreement terms with Toei Animation and Funimation Productions that includes Dragon Ball Z Kai; the Cubix agreements with Daiwon C & A Holdings, Cinepix, and East Japan Marketing & Communications; and the Sonic X agreement with TMS Entertainment.

At first I was skeptical, but that line up of shows has me hooked for at least two or three of them! :D
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Re: So long Toonzai, hello Vortexx. Saban's new Sat AM lineu

Postby cyberwuss » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:05 pm

I might go for the Ironman and Justice League shows, but the rest is the standard stuff that bankrupted the other company... the big problem with what they were showing was that the stuff became too generic like and they had too many morning marathons that would be all the same show for hours. The last shows I remember being interested in on that block were all the way back to the run of Transformers: Cybertron for the most part, on Kids WB or whatever it was... it only lasted for about 10-15 episodes though and then they took it off again. TF: Cybertron wasn't the best TF series by any means, but they struck it off just as Starscream was taking over the world with the blimps and stuff... so it was sort of a bummer still... The only few shows since then I've followed to any degree were Megaman (the show associated with Megaman Battle Network, think it was called Access or something.) Spider Riders was the best and most interesting show in a few years, and the show Viewtiful Joe was good (associated with the Capcom character of same name) So that is like 3 I've watched in that block in a few years... there were a few short runs that were even shorter than TF Cybertron's and Spider Riders' like Rollbots, that showed promise before being pulled... and I'm highly associated with that channel since I only have broadcast and only have about 12 channels on 6 networks here. (each network has 2 or 3 channels associated with it on DTV broadcast.) A few others that were interesting that I didn't follow as much as I should have I can remember were Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight, and other cartoons that were showing on another channel at the time but weren't in that block think it was the old UPN / whatever they became block was like Digimon and a few Disney Toons like Tarzan and Buzz Lightyear were ok, but only a little... that has been 10 years or so since they even showed cartoons though. Anyway, like I said the bigger problem is that too many of the new shows are reruns of old successful things from 10 or more years ago, or just have no originality even to the product they are associated with. It's like 1000 shows for Trading Card Game or similar concepts, or all Pokemon type video games that while I can take the earlier Pokemon games, the TV series was only marginally entertaining, only the first movie with MewTwo was interesting all the way through, and maybe a few others of the full feature movies like with Groudon and Lugia... the series however, was lame. All of the TCG shows are lame except for the first season or two of YuGiOh, and that was only interesting for its overdramatic presentation, like when Kaiba beats up Grandpa in the first show and they are to the point of hospitalizing each other for rare cards, up through about the end of the Kaiba competition, where Marik starts showing up was decent, however, when it got lame was when Kaiba's brother Noah came in and they started the whole thing where they were in the virtual reality trapped inside with Noah and had to defeat him to escape... that is when it got too "off the wall" as far as the idea of the show went. If they make a show based on a toy or game property, said toy or game needs to be good enough to back it up, along with said show being a cool enough plot to back up the toy as well... its a perfect storm that hasn't been seen since probably the days of the original power rangers run in the early 90s... and before that in the 80s with things like our own Transformers, NInja Turtles, Masters of the Universe, and other iconic lines of toys that went along with shows. The only one who came as close to that since the original power rangers run was early YuGiOh, and it was far from reaching what it could have been, the TCG and toys just didn't have as much cool to them as other or earlier stuff. Dragon Ball Z was interesting in its first run... but sadly it has been rehashed many times and worn out over and over, almost as bad as YuGiOh has become to the point that it isn't that great anymore, and the redubbing is worse than the original... by alot. All that said, I don't see much future in the broadcast channel's morning cartoon lineup on saturday unless a really amazing show or property associated with a show comes out. The way creativity has been for this market lately it only has a snowball's chance in "1134" of happening though.

EDIT: Thought of a single show that was newer than that stuff, mebbe, that was OK, Jackie Chan Adventures... but that is also about 10 or so years old now :p
The coward desires revenge but being afraid to die, he looks to others, maybe to the government of the day, to do the work of defense for him.
cyberwuss

Postby CYLON (13) » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:42 am

I'll probably be checking out JLU. :)
"I will move away from here, you wont be afraid of fear" Nirvana
CYLON (13)

Postby cyberwuss » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:25 am

CYLON (13) wrote:I'll probably be checking out JLU. :)

I caught part of the first show this morning. I will probly be watching for the cartoon eye candy of Supergirl and Wonder Woman mostly. (TMI anyone????!) Secondly I will be watching because I like stock superhero cartoons (stock meaning DC or Marvel). Third, I haven't seen this show before this showing, so should be interesting to catch up on if I can, usually doing yard work in mornings but maybe I'll find it online.
The coward desires revenge but being afraid to die, he looks to others, maybe to the government of the day, to do the work of defense for him.
cyberwuss

Postby ironrod prime » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:39 pm

to my knowledge i dont think jlu or iaa have ever been on broadcast tv
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Sat May 31, 2014 12:55 am

And after just two years, it's time to start saying farewell to Vortexx - http://www.toonzone.net/2014/05/exclusive-traditional-saturday-morning-programming-ends-fall-saban-brands-pulls-plug-vortexx/

Exclusive: Traditional Saturday Morning Programming Ends This Fall as Saban Brands Pulls the Plug on the Vortexx

Traditional Saturday morning programming on U.S. broadcast television will come to an end this September when the Vortexx programming block on the CW Network will be replaced with One Magnificent Morning, a five-hour E/I programming block geared toward teens and their parents. The block will contain inspirational and entertaining live-action programming that focuses on family-friendly topics; based on the shows scheduled to air, the block is probably being produced by Litton Entertainment. Throughout its two-year run, Nielsen ratings indicate that Vortexx has had trouble establishing an audience against heavy competition from cable.

Children’s programming on Saturday mornings rose to prominence on the broadcast networks in the early 1960’s with the likes of Captain Kangaroo, Mighty Mouse Playhouse, Top Cat, and The Bugs Bunny Show. Saturday mornings became the only time for children to catch their favorite programs, creating aggressive ratings battles between ABC, CBS, and NBC right up through the end of the 1980’s. However, with the rise of syndication, cable, and now streaming content, the broadcast networks began phasing out traditional Saturday morning programming in the early 1990’s when NBC introduced the T-NBC lineup in 1992. The Vortexx on the CW was the last remaining traditional Saturday morning programming block containing a mix of live-action and animated, non-E/I children’s programming on any U.S. broadcast television network.

One Magnificent Morning will be Litton Entertainment’s third E/I programming block on broadcast television: Litton’s Weekend Adventure on ABC replaced ABC Kids in September 2011 and CBS Dream Team replaced DHX Media’s Cookie Jar TV on CBS last season.

According to syndicated sales information, the following programs will air on One Magnificent Morning:

• EXPEDITION WILD: Follow wildlife expert Casey Anderson on a series of breathtakingly wild American adventures.
  • DOG WHISPERER – FAMILY EDITION: Dog Whisperer Cesar Millan helps dogs—and their families—overcome behavioral problems.
  • ROCK IN THE PARK: Jack Steward explores every National Park in America.
  • THE BRADY BARR SHOW: Join the adventures of Brady Barr as he gets up close to some of the world’s wildest and most dangerous creatures.
  • DR. POL: Join Dr. Pol as he gives viewers a unique look into the care and treatment of farm animals.
  • AMERICA’S FLAVORS: Expert Chefs travel the country, pitting variations of the American dishes against each other.
  • TASTE OF HOME: An upbeat cooking experience where audience members give dishes a special homemade twist.
  • RELUCTANTLY HEALTHY: Comedy actress Judy Greer shares special tips and advice on how to stay healthy while on-the go.
  • SWAG: Release your inner fashionista with the help of celebrity super stylist Mandi Lane.
  • SOCIAL MEDIA MANIA: A new series that focuses on the biggest social media moments of each week.
The fate of many of the shows currently on the Vortexx lineup is unknown at this time. Digimon Fusion and Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal also air on the Nicktoons cable channel and will most likely continue to premiere new episodes there. Toonami recently announced the acquisition of Dragon Ball Z Kai for its late-night, Saturday morning block on Adult Swim.

Last year, Saban Brands announced the acquisition of the Spanish animated series Sendokai Champions for broadcast on its Vortexx lineup. However, the show has yet to premiere on the block, and its ultimate broadcast fate is unknown.

No official announcement has been made by either Saban Brands or Litton Entertainment on Vortexx or One Magnificent Morning.

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Sat May 31, 2014 11:29 am

Well that was fun but honestly the days of the saturdy morning cartoons have been slowly slipping away for some time now. vortex was just another poor mans fox kids/kids wb.
ironrod prime

Postby cyberwuss » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:47 pm

I watched on occasion DBZ Kai, Justice League, and for its short run on there, TF: Prime, otherwise all the gaming stuff like Digimon and Yugioh was lost on me, can't get into those game based shows like Digimon and Yugioh anymore compared to their original versions, mostly because I don't play those specific games.

Has me wondering what the "Geewunner" term in Digimon and Yugioh is :p

I think I watched most of Kamen Rider Dragon Knight when it was Toonzai.
cyberwuss

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:18 pm

cyberwuss wrote:I think I watched most of Kamen Rider Dragon Knight when it was Toonzai.
That show was only on during the pre-Toonzai days, when the block was just "The CW4Kids".

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby CYLON (13) » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:00 am

Well, that's just Prime.
I still watch about an hour and a half of 'toons every Sat. morn'. DBZ Kai, Justice League and Spec. Spidey. *sigh*
Sucks. :(
In this 'dvd age', it's not all that Earth-shattering. Still...I'll miss those commercial brakes.

Cartoon Network should stick to the original DBZ show! :lol:
It would save me the trouble of purchasing the Dragon Box, I believe it's called. :lol:
"I will move away from here, you wont be afraid of fear" Nirvana
CYLON (13)

Next

Return to Open Forum