Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Digimon

Non-TF related Conversations

Re: Digimon

Postby Sabrblade » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:58 pm

ironrod prime wrote:i guess the concept just wasnt appealing to american audiances atleast not any more
Oh, it was popular back in its heyday, but things do die out over time.

Before Xros Wars aired, it mostly survived in Japan trough video games, but only some were decently successful. When Xros Wars did air, the new merchandise sold exceptionally well and it helps that that series was the most toyetic Digimon anime of them all.

So, with great merchandise and a very toy-centric series to promote it, why did it end like it did? At least two reasons. One, for some insane reason, Bandai of Japan stopped making new toys. That's right, the toy company that was thriving from good toy sales, STOPPED making new toys. and during HALFWAY through the first series even! The second half of the anime created a whole bunch of new digimon that were practically begging to be made into toy form, yet Bandai... didn't make anymore after those from the first half.

They didn't even make any for the second Xros Wars series. Yes, the entire seventh Digimon anime had NO toys for it whatsoever, which is just as baffling!

The second point was how the two Xros Wars series played out. The first one started off on a very high note, but then gradually shifted towards worse and worse writing, with about the first 30 episodes being almost nothing but fillers, with only a handful of awesome moments and a few plot-related episodes wrapped into the many fillers stories.

But, by the second half of the first series, the show got a facelift and switched to a darker, more focused story with almost no filler and a more direct writing. Now this should have been a good thing, right? Well, in theory, yes. But, the new story was kinda predictable, repetitive, and not a whole lot was that engaging. Sure, there were some moments of epicness and suspense, but a lot of it still felt pretty hollow. It was still about as good as Zero Two was, but even then, that's not saying that much, as, before Xros Wars came along, Zero Two was obectively viewed as being the less best Digimon anime series (though, some considered Frontier to be worse, but I digress).

When the second Xros Wars series came along, things looked much more promising... until the first few episodes passed and the rest that we got was almost nothing but fillers. Though, these weren't the same kind of fillers as the first series had, no, the first series fillers still felt like part of a story. These ones, however, were sidestory after sidestory after sidestory! 25 episodes of NO PLOT aside from maybe 10 episodes and even that is being generous.

The show really got weaker and weaker as episode after episode aired with nothing happening at all. At least, not until towards the end, when the much hyped series-wide crossover happened that we all had been waiting for for so long, yet it was all just SO brief! It might as well had not even happened; it was just so unnecessary. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED all the fanservice we got out of that event, but two or three episodes of fanwank cannot make up for whole subpar series.

In spite of its moments of epicness, Xros Wars pretty much dug its own grave while shooting itself in the foot, the second series especially. The best thing to come out of the second series was the crossover, but all that did was just prove how much cooler all the previous six series were than the seventh one. :roll:
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:43 pm

kinda makes you long for the days of zero 2 huh and i know for you thats saying something
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:54 pm

ironrod prime wrote:kinda makes you long for the days of zero 2 huh and i know for you thats saying something
In terms of popularity, yes. While Zero Two wasn't as great a series as, say, Adventure or Tamers, it was a very successful era.

Still don't like Daisuke/Davis (I was more of a fan of Takeru/T.K.), but he's no longer my least favorite goggle boy (now he's second least favorite).

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:29 am

this ones pretty cool

ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:01 pm

They messed up TK's last name. :x :x :x

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:54 pm

I have to post this! I absolutely HAVE to post this!

See it! Watch it! LOVE IT! This, I COMMAND!

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:28 pm

but i dont wanna
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:41 pm

ironrod prime wrote:but i dont wanna
Not to sound rude, but... ARE YOU INSANE?!!!!!

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:56 pm

actualy yes yes i am
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:15 pm

Dude, why are you refusing to watch a music video showcasing the climaxes all Digimon series and one of the greatest, most epically awesome moments in all of Digimon history, while using THE song that was made specifically to pay tribute to the entire 15 years of the franchise?!!

That's like, disrespecting the Digimon series, man.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Open Forum