Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Digimon

Non-TF related Conversations

Re: Digimon

Postby ironrod prime » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:52 pm

Sabrblade wrote:
ironrod prime wrote:2 books same story :P
But one's still better than the other.

not by much
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:39 pm

ironrod prime wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
ironrod prime wrote:2 books same story :P
But one's still better than the other.

not by much
How is Adventure not that much better than Zero Two? It had the better story, the better characters, the better development, the better writing, the better consistency, and more.

Zero Two dragged the Digimon Kaizer story for too long, practically ignored the potential of the Dark Ocean, played too much on Daisuke's crush on Hikari (which went nowhere, BTW), sugar-coated the danger of the Digital World by letting the Children commute back and forth between worlds before bedtime, sugar-coated the threats they faced by having them only destroy Evil Rings/Evil Spirals/Dark Tower Digimon, wasted Demon and his minions, almost completely ignored Armor Evolution (the show's main gimmick) once they brought back traditional Evolution/introduced Jogress Evolution, made BlackWarGreymon come off as an angsty emo instead of a hardcore beast, and pulled a wild card revealing the puppetmaster of the whole show to have been Vamdemon (an idea that came completely out of the blue).

It also doesn't help that Zero Two had EIGHT different writers working on it, all of whom each had their own vision for the series, leading to Zero feeling like a scrapbook of ideas just thrown together as an afterthought. :roll:
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:20 pm

you never saw the american dub of zero 2 did you its way better
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:41 pm

ironrod prime wrote:you never saw the american dub of zero 2 did you its way better
I grew up on the dubs. Watching them makes me want to kill myself. :-(

So. Many. PUNS! :x So much censorship! :-( So much watering down of the content! Zero Two had one of the worst English dubs I've ever seen.

Adventure's dub was better, but even not by that much. "WHY MUST YOU GET THE PIZZA, WHILE ALL I GET IS THE CRUST?!!!" :x :x :x :x :x :x

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:42 pm

say what you will but id rather watch a bad dub then read a good show
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:54 pm

ironrod prime wrote:say what you will but id rather watch a bad dub then read a good show

That is both shallow and very offensive to the original work. As well as to those who take the time and make an effort to adjust to reading subs while watching anime at the same time.

It's not that difficult a skill to master. You'll have to get used to it if you want to watch the Shout! Factory DVDs of The Headmasters, Masterforce, and Victory.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:52 pm

ok one its a japanese show intended for a japanese audiance

and two if i wanna read i'll go read

and three ive never seen any of the japanese versions of the show(and i dont plan to see above) so the dubs are fine by me
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:24 pm

ironrod prime wrote:and three ive never seen any of the japanese versions of the show(and i dont plan to see above) so the dubs are fine by me
I can relate to this because I used to be the same way. I've been there, being in the shoes of a pro-dub fan, refusing to broaden my horizons, I had no idea what I was missing out on.

That all changed when Digimon Savers was made. It was the first anime I ever watched subbed, and the only reason I did so was because I was under the belief that it might not get a dub since the Digimon popularity had diminished over the years and the dubs of the first four series had since been taken off the air. But I wanted to see it so badly and so I felt I had no other choice. The fact that it did eventually get dubbed as Data Squad the following year, after Savers had already finished airing in Japan, came as a complete shock to me since all the other four series had been dubbed during the time that each of them was still airing over in Japan.

And boy was I glad to have gotten to see it Japanese, because I just fell in love with all the hot-blooded awesomeness of all. The passionate delivery of the dialogue, the intense J-Rock soundtrack, the lack of any censorship, it just opened up a whole new amazing world to me. :D

Then when Data Squad came, having already seen Savers in its original form, I felt... awkward about it. On one hand, I was thrilled that this awesome show was going to finally get dubbed in a language I would understand. But on the other hand, recalling how much intensity there was put into this series, I feared that it would get overly hacked and slashed from the original version. When the dub finally came, I was both happy and sad at the same time. I was sad because my fears were proven mostly correct. There was a TON of censorship implanted into this show that it just wasn't the same level of coolness that it had been at before. But I was happy because the dialogue script and voices retained an impressive amount of accuracy and faithfulness to the Japanese version, so much more than any of the past four series. Aside from the censorship, there be episode after episode that was almost word-for-word matches of the Japanese script, minus a few localizations and some bits of dumb dialogue. But the censorship was still evident and there were times where it really took away from the shows serious moments, making them come off as being more slapstick than they should have been.

But even still, Data Squad had the best dub of any of the four shows to come before it, but it is not without its own flaws. Then again, Savers itself has some major flaws, but the point is that seeing it in its authentic form made me realize just how much I had missed out on for so many years. It was thanks to seeing Savers subbed that I was able to go back a watch the Japanese versions of such shows as Digimon Adventure, Digimon Adventure 02, Sailor Moon, Transformers: The Headmasters/Masterforce/Victory/Zone/Scramble City, some of Beast Wars II, some of Transformers: Super Link, Dragon Ball Z, some of Gundam Wing subbed, and appreciate them even more. It really helps to see the authentic versions to really get a feel for how the stories were meant to be told and what kind of creative visions the authors had when making these shows a reality, and thus respect them even more. :D

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:41 pm

My review of the Final Episode of Xros Wars, and the series as a whole.

Warning *SPOILERS*

HOLY Smoked bacon and cheddar cheese-sticks(, Batman)! THAT WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Xros Wars is flawed, but epic. Epic, but flawed. It is far from perfection, but far from atrocious. When it's bad, it's blah, but when it's good, it's REALLY GOOD!

The biggest flaw of this show is its issues in pacing and juggling its subplots. It's really sad to see how other series before it could handle these two more easily, but it did manage to stay entertaining all the way through.

That said, the music was AWESOME. Xros Wars has to got hold the title of best music of any Digimon series ever. So many tunes that can be called "Crowning Music of Awesome" and superb use of the trope "Autobots, Rock Out!"

The entire concept of DigiXros (and variations thereof) was a unique, interesting, and very pleasant aspect in this series. The sheer diversity of what could be created from it brought forth a grand sense of ingenuity and imagination like never before. But a major hindrance in it was the characters' lack of putting it to competent use often enough. This particular episode demonstrated how DigiXros can be used in a wide variety in its finest. And the fact that it was Yuu who pulled off these combinations gave us a look at how imaginative he can be when given the chance to shine in the spotlight.

Two DigiXros combos that stood out to me the most in this episode were GolemJijiKamemon and the nameless Dracomon X Cyberdramon DigiXros. Seeing these two onscreen made me realize that this is the closest that we have come to seeing anything resembling Coredramon and/or JumboGamemon in animated form. While these two weren't an exact match for those two, they were still close enough to be satisfying (since Dracomon and/or ChibiKamemon actually evolving at this point without reason would have come off like a butt-pull).

Though, I gotta say that the DigiMemories seemed very underused in this show. After episode 30, I can't recall them ever being used again until recently. And they were all mostly iconic digimon too, so the fact that they chose not to take advantage of fanservice with more use of them just baffles me. Even in this battle, they seemed underused, running out of power as soon as they get Taiki et al inside the Dark Stone, and then just being 15 of the many Magic Mushrooms for Shoutmon later just felt like they didn't really need to be in this show other than for additional fanservice and to sell toys. Don't get me wrong, fanservice can be good, it's just has to be used well. Still, this show did already have a lot of good fanservice in it.

And what better way to end a fanservice-y show than with a whole lot of fanservice? We got a fantastic last look at Taiki/Akari, and a great bit of Beelzebumon/Mervamon. Not to mention the biggest, most "fanfic-y yet somehow perfectly fitting" innovation of the Final Xros into Shoutmon X7 Superior Mode. Yes, it was a lackluster final fight, but the sheer majesty and magnificence of it all still made it enjoyable.

In fact, watching this actually come to fruition (the fusing of every digimon in the Digital World into one giant, angelic knight robot-mon) really shocked me. Not becuase I didin't see it coming or anything, but because the concept felt so familair to me. Years ago, as a little kid, I would brainstorm ideas for battles and stories that I could play out with my Digimon toys and other toys I had. And one of them, the final battle story, involved every digimon in the world coming together to unite with my protagonist digimon characters into one giant holy robotic knight digimon (the process of which I referred to as a colossal miraculous version of DNA Digivolution) that would face off against the ultimate darkness. Seeing what my child-like mind crafted coincidentally becoming a reality made this moment all the more precious to me.

And the bringing of everyone back to life... YAY! I'm glad those who sacrificed themselves were given a second chance to come back for a happy ending, thought it did seem a bit soon for some (like Olegmon and Apollomon). But for Deckerdramon and Grademon (who's still a bit of nobody to us), it was fair. And now, all those who sacrificed themselves before can now be commended in person for their efforts. If I were Shoutmon, I'd have all them be awarded medals of honor and valor for their noble efforts of heroism.

Speaking of which: Shoutmon. Dag gone it, I love you, Shoutmon! You MADE this show worth it all. To me, you ARE Digimon Xros Wars! You are the epitome of what a Partner Digimon should be! A fully fleshed out individual with his own three-dimensional personalty that still compliments that of his Human Partner; and sense of intelligence, wit, charisma, hot-bloodedness, and charm all wrapped up into one nice neat package; and the ability to pull off the Deus Ex Machina "wow" factor with his higher forms without straying too far away from the genuine person that he is. You are THE reason I watched this show all the way through, and the fact that you're not only returning for next series but also getting an epic redesign makes me all the more willing to dive into that series. Shoutmon, don't ever stop rockin' out loud with that soul of rock of yours. Rock on and don't ever change.

As for next series, all I can say it BRING IT!

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:36 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

From the latest episode (episode 14 of this series, episode 68 of both series):

TAKATO, DAISUKE, TAICHI, TAKUYA and MASARU!!!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Sabrblade
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Open Forum