Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

sailor moon

Non-TF related Conversations

sailor moon

Postby ironrod prime » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:48 pm

so with the reboot comming next year and the possible redubbing of the original series id thought id make this thread for the sailor soldier in all of us (primus i hope that didnt sound weird) so with that said lets start this off with what your hopes are for the reboot

me i hope they bring back the original voice actors atleast the main ones anyway
ironrod prime

Re: sailor moon

Postby Sabrblade » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:53 pm

For those of you unaware, here's the basic rundown of the series with as few spoilers as possible.

Bishōjo Senshi Sailor Moon (officially translated as "Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon") is Japanese Magical Girl manga series created by Naoko Takeuchi in 1992. It originally came about as a spin off to Takeuchi's existing manga series Codename: Sailor V, which was later spun into being a prequel series for Sailor Moon.

Though the Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon series began as a manga series, it eventually spread across multiple media formats that each tell their own version of the story, whilst simultaneously containing similar elements within each. The most primary of the different versions that exist are the manga, the 1992 anime series, the 2003 tokusatsu series, and the musicals.

The manga ("manga" meaning "comic" in Japanese) is the version that was made first and gave birth to all the other versions. Naturally, it was the version that was written and drawn directly by the series' creator, Naoko Takeuchi. It ran for 52 main chapters split into five story arcs, as well as having 10 side story chapters accompanying the main story. It was later rereleased in 2003 in a second run edition that reworked its exisitng 52 chapters into 60 chapters, as well as having updates made to the artwork and dialogue.

The anime ("anime" meaning "cartoon" or "animation" in Japan) is probably the most well known version of the Sailor Moon series. It drew inspiration from the story of the manga, while often going off into its own direction and deviating from the manga's own interpretation of the story. It ran for a total of 200 episodes split into five individual series, with each of those five being based off one of the five arcs of the manga. There were also three feature films and at least five short specials.

The tokusatsu series ("tokusatsu" being a term used to refer to live action shows filmed with special effects shooting), more commonly known as "Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon" ("PGSM" for short), was a live action series that was done in a similar vein to such series as Power Rangers. It ran for 49 episodes, telling its own version of just the first story arc only, instead of all five. It also featured two more special episodes and a live stage performance.

The musicals, commonly referred to as "Sera Myu", were live stage performances based on the series with most containing original stories not seen anywhere else. There were also some performances that were closer to the manga and anime stories, while still retaining some original elements of their own. They heavily featured singing and choreography integrated into their drama and action moments.

There also exist a few video games, but the only one worth mentioning is the one called Sailor Moon: Another Story, which was an RPG game set after the third part of the story (see below), but ignores the parts that came after and exists in a continuity that felt like a hodgepodge combination of the anime and manga versions.

As I stated above, there are five different portions of the overall story of the Sailor Moon series.

The first portion (called "Sailor Moon Classic" by the fans in regards to the anime version, and the "Dark Kingdom arc" by the fans in regards to the manga version) tells the story of a young middle school girl named Usagi Tsukino who is one day approached by a mysterious talking cat named Luna, who tells Usagi that she (Usagi) is in fact the legendary chosen Soldier of Love and Justice, Sailor Moon, who must fight against an evil force that is rising up to take over the world: The Dark Kingdom. Usagi's mission is to defeat the Dark Kingdom, and along the way gains allies in the form of Sailor Mercury, Sailor Mars, Sailor Jupiter, and Sailor Venus; all collectively known as the Sailor Senshi (or "Sailor Soldiers", what with "senshi" meaning "soldier/warrior" in Japanese). Another ally comes in the form of Tuxedo Mask, a mysterious masked man who has his own agenda.

The second portion (called "Sailor Moon R" in the anime, and the "Black Moon arc" in the manga) follows sometime after the events of the previous arc had concluded. A mysterious young girl appears before Usagi whom Usagi must protect from a new threat that has come to both capture this girl and conquer the world. They are known as the Black Moon clan. However, due to circumstances regarding the pacing of the manga at the time it was released, an additional story was created for the anime to fill out the time needed for the second manga arc to be adapted into anime form. This new anime story dealt with the the Sailor Senshi facing against two aliens who had come to Earth seeking energy for their survival and to feed their mother tree, the Makaiju. After this story finished up, the main story began with the Sailor Senshi fighting the Black Moon clan.

The third portion (called "Sailor Moon S"--but pronounced "Sailor Moon Super"--in the anime, and the "Mugen" arc--"mugen" meaning "infinity" in Japanese--in the manga) takes the series into a darker and more mature direction. The new enemies are the Death Busters, who seek to bring about a time of darkness and destruction upon the world. Two new Sailor Senshi are introduced in this portion: Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune, as well as Sailor Pluto and the later introduction of Sailor Saturn. There isn't much else to be said about this portion of the story that can be said without giving too much else away, as this was the most complex story arc with the deepest writing, so it's the easiest to be spoiled.

The fourth portion (called "Sailor Moon SuperS"--pronounced "Sailor Moon Supers"--in the anime, and called the "Yume" arc--"yume" meaning "dream" in Japanese--in the manga) is a mixed bag among fans. On one hand, the anime version took the series back to a more lighthearted tone with enhanced comedy and less gravitas, which not many of the liongtime fans took to enjoying. However, the manga version kept the story as being serious (but not too dark) and stuck to what made that version entertaining, helping to mature the series further along and even paying tribute to all that had come before. The story basically follows the Sailor Senshi battling against new foes in the form of the Dead Moon Circus. The Sailor Senshi also gain a new ally in the form of a winged unicorn simply named Pegasus.

The fifth and final portion (called "Sailor Moon Sailor Stars" in the anime, and the "Stars" arc in the manga) brings the story to its ultimate conclusion. The Sailor Senshi gain three new allies, the Sailor Starlights, who are a separate unit of Sailor Senshi from outside the Solar System and have their own mission. The new enemies are called Shadow Galactica, an empire bent on conquering the galaxy. However, there is something unique about these villains that make them out to be quite interesting foes for the good Sailor Senshi to being fighting against. The main big bad boss enemy of this portion of the story is also of a great significance. Like the previous one, the anime and manga versions of this arc also differed quite greatly between the two, with each taking different direction with the story.

And, as stated in the OP, there will be a brand new anime series coming in the summer of 2013, but that is pretty much all we know about it. Kotono Mitsuishi and Tohru Furuya (the original voice actors of Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Mask, respectively, from the 1992 anime) have both expressed interest in reprising their roles for the new anime, but neither is certain as to whether or not they will. Oh, and the new theme song will be sung popular idol group Momoiro Clover Z.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:14 pm

so what are your thoughts on the fight4luv fan dub of season five
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:01 am

ironrod prime wrote:so what are your thoughts on the fight4luv fan dub of season five
I'm not really into fan dubs, no matter how good or bad they may be.

And I've kinda steered clear of fight4luv's works since there's a bunch of controversy surrounding him and his fandubbing group. I've nothing against the guy and have talked to him before on the Genvid forums (he seems like a decent guy), but I'd just rather stay out of that drama. ;)

Meanwhile, I'm hoping and praying that FUNimation gets to dub the new anime (as is the majority of the fandom), especially since they've been trying for years to get a hold of the first anime. The fact that they've expressed not only an interest but an eager willingness shows that they really care about the series, and their record in recent years has proven them to be masters of anime dubbing. :D

Why, the way they handled Dragon Ball Kai's dub was near-perfect, with having multiple English dubs of different levels of censorship for each of its various releases: An uncut dub for the DVDs, a slightly edited dub for Nicktoons, and an excessively edited dub for the CW. This model really ought to be the standard for children's anime dubs in this day and age, as it makes all parties (original fans, new fans, and lovers of censorship like parents and the FCC) happy. If Sailor Moon's new anime English dub (or a redub of the old anime) were to fall into FUNi's hands, this would be the ideal method to use, as it could get released uncut on (hopefully bilingual) DVDs and be aired on multiple TV networks with them having to choose between a tame edit or a PC edit. Everyone wins. 8-)

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:03 am

wow i didnt know the dbzk dvd's were uncut i might have to pick those up

yeah heres hoping funimation gets to do the dub and hopfully if the redub comes to fruition they get to do that as well
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:37 am

ironrod prime wrote:wow i didnt know the dbzk dvd's were uncut i might have to pick those up
Yeah, man. THREE dubs! All similar except for some edits and some few edited lines of dialogue. That is glorious. :D

ironrod prime wrote:yeah heres hoping funimation gets to do the dub and hopfully if the redub comes to fruition they get to do that as well
Bingo! They've been wanting to redub the 1992 anime for years now, but Toei and Naoko are real tough cookies with the license. Other countries have been airing the anime either in an unedited form of their old dubs (which were already uncut) or having gotten brand new dubs that they never had before. What we want is a complete redub from the ground up with unedtied footage and high quality up-to-date voice acting, which we know FUNimation can definitely deliver. If only Toei and Naoko could be easier to work with.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:59 am

well last i heard the anime was being dubbed in germany and if its a sucsess there then they would expand it to the rest of the world
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:14 am

ironrod prime wrote:well last i heard the anime was being dubbed in germany and if its a sucsess there then they would expand it to the rest of the world
One would think. However, the first new foreign dub that came about in the anime revival was the Italian dub, and that was last year. They seem to be testing the waters in every country except the English-speaking ones (and Korea, their old dub was worse than the English one, but let's not go there).

The Mexican one had a very difficult time negotiating with Naoko for its own slice of the anime revival, and boy does it seem like Naoko is against redubs, which is a tremendous shame. Our dub had its first two season edited and never uncut, so it can't meet the standards of the uncut format the anime revival has been going for. Other countries have either had their old dubs used (if they were uncut), new dubs created (if they never had one), or (in very rare cases) a redub happen (if their old dub wasn't uncut).

And with the new anime having been announced and us still having no revival of the old anime, the more likely outcome for us at this point would probably be us just going straight for the new anime instead.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:10 pm

unfortunately i was thinking the exact same thing i just hope it keeps the (no punn intended) magic of the original intact
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:20 pm

ironrod prime wrote:unfortunately i was thinking the exact same thing i just hope it keeps the (no punn intended) magic of the original intact
Well, this will be the second time they make a remake, and since the last one was great, I'll look forward to checking out this one. 8-)

BTW, here's the info on Mexico's situation with their share of he anime revival, from the Towers Entertainment and Capital 8 podcast regarding their Sailor Moon Talk Box DVD sets, translated from Spanish into English by fellow SM fan Vilhelm of the Genvid forums:
Vilhelm wrote:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Podcast: Plan B: Talk Box Mercury

Invited Guest: Fernando Sanz: Part of the Capital 8 staff and the Official Sailor Moon Fan Club President for Mexico and Latin America. Fernando “Usagifer” Sanz is one of the important people behind the Talk Box series project based on Naoko Takeuchi’s work. Today, Fernando will tell us in detail everything about the upcoming Talk Box Mercury, how they came to an agreement with Toei, the difficulty in negotiating with Takeuchi herself, and an exclusive: what will happen with the Spanish language version of Princess Moon. Who will finally be the singer?

[Introduction of Fernando Sanz and how Capital 8 works as distributors for anime]

Sanz mentions that the staff at Capital 8 are also anime fans, so they know what the fans would like on their DVD releases
Towers Entertainment: licenses and dubs the shows
Capital 8: Distributor

Licensing:
Sanz: It’s a very long process. The public wouldn’t believe just how long it takes working on these long negotiations. For example, with Sailor Moon, it was a process of 2 years before we acquired the license, to be able to come to an agreement to release the series, which happened more or less the same with “los Caballeros del Zodiaco [Saint Seiya]”.

I think the power of conviction that we sometimes have as people and as businesses is important, in that the Japanese people, the executives, will like you. Then, you come to them with your proposition; what you want to do, how you want to do it, and…you have to convince them, you have to sell your idea ver well for them to release the license. It’s not easy; you have to negotiate for a long time, you have to sell very well what you intend to do so they can agree and release the license. The same thing happens with “los Caballeros” [talks about Saint Seiya licensing process which is just as difficult to get as Sailor Moon]

Sailor Moon took a lot of effort, mainly because Naoko Takeuchi, well, I’m sorry Sailor Scouts, but she is who owns 100% of the rights to Sailor Moon. She is the one who has the final say so on whether or not the license will be released to you.

PlanB: Basically, if she likes the products, she says “Sure, go ahead”, but if not, “No” and that’s it.

Sanz: You have to come with a set idea on how you want to exploit the franchise, exploit her product, and she consults, obviously, with people at Toei, but she is the one who decides if she likes the idea of how you’re going to exploit the Sailor Moon franchise. And well, the license did take some time. It’s been a few months since the remastered DVDS were released over in Japan, and obviously, we weren’t going to have them before the Japanese. So because of that, it took a bit longer to release the final product, and so that we could have the series remastered, because it’s very different than the one that came out a couple of years ago on some American DVDS [talks about ADV’s releases, and how the company no longer exists]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vilhelm wrote:Masters:

Sanz: We want to respect the wishes of the Sailor Scouts, the fans, in what they want, and a quality product. Regarding Sailor Moon, the negotiations to buy the license took a long time. There were many discussions on how the product was going to be released.

They (Toei) lend you the masters, where you take the audio, the image, everything, so you can make the DVDs. And at that moment (negotiations), they would not give us the “remastered” masters.

It was either those (remastered masters), or do a transfer from old Betacam tapes to DVD, and well, it’s not a very good quality image compared to the one all of you have on the DVDs we’ve released. It was an image quite degraded.

PlanB: Comparable to the version of Sailor Moon we saw on TV all those years ago, more or less, or worse?

Sanz: More or less, mainly because the resolution quality is a bit ugly, and also because the tapes are quite old. It’s said that the image on the tape has noise, a noise that’s very hard to remove in a remasterization. So it was a difficult negotiation because they already had plans to release the DVDs commemorating the 20 years of Sailor Moon, and, well, they were DVDs with a new image, sound, and with new characteristics. So Capital 8 and Towers always fought to obtain the remasters, which is now what you have in your hands.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vilhelm wrote:More stuffs below.

Note: Fernando Sanz specifically mentions, more than once, that the license was very expensive, which pretty much debunks what the Italian site reported as "free license" rantipole. This was a pretty informative segment. Read on!
Vilhelm wrote:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PlanB: How was it, after the process, Towers and Capital 8 were able to acquire the remastered versión of Sailor moon from Toei? What did you have to sell (to them)?

Sanz: Basically, it was an expensive product. Sailor Moon is an expensive product, mainly because it's starting to reappear in markets all over the world. It is being relicensed all over.

PlanB: We’re not going to tell you all the details of how it was acquired, etc, because (if we did), Toei’s offices would be burned down at this moment.

Sanz: It was a difficult process. There’s a lot of things that I would take too long in explaining, but basically we fought, we insisted a lot with Toei, with Naoko, so that we could acquire the license. I believe a lot of it had to do with the fondness Naoko Takeuchi has towards the fans in Latin America.
Obviously the license cost much more money so that it could be released. But one of the conditions was to respect not only the version that we had presented to Toei and Naoko (the Talk Box), but also to respect the image, the quality, the audio; in other words, to make it the best we could, to not ruin it like other franchises, where they get cuts here and there; to comply with one of the guidelines which is to not cut anything and to have the best quality audio and video possible so as to not deceive the fans.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Next

Return to Open Forum