Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

is anyone besides me tired of A D D ?

Non-TF related Conversations

is anyone besides me tired of A D D ?

Postby starry* *night » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:47 am

Whats with doctors diagnosing so many little kids with weird stuff

there's no reason to do critical diagnosis every time a kids slow reading or talking or figuring out how to speak about what they comprehend or enjoying stuff
or just because the kids excitable
like when they are quick at thinking about everything other than school lessons
there's no way to measure what a kid's thinking
you just watch and enjoy happy that they're happy even if it's super energy

and not put kids on ritalin because they act loud or fast or slow
or any other medicationx.
Don't change any of those front doors.
starry* *night

Re: is anyone besides me tired of A D D ?

Postby cyberwuss » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:05 am

starry* *night wrote:Whats with doctors diagnosing so many little kids with weird stuff

there's no reason to do critical diagnosis every time a kids slow reading or talking or figuring out how to speak about what they comprehend or enjoying stuff
or just because the kids excitable
like when they are quick at thinking about everything other than school lessons
there's no way to measure what a kid's thinking
you just watch and enjoy happy that they're happy even if it's super energy

and not put kids on ritalin because they act loud or fast or slow
or any other medicationx.

I am in support of children being happy, but I must also say that psychiatrists in modern times, mostly want the same thing, especially from the ones I know of who have very good moral grounding, like most of the ones here in the US I have come to meet over the years.

I am a person who does not overly trust medicine at all, I only use what the doctor's orders demand of me, or something EXTREMELY mild otherwise, for example, the only unsubscribed pill, without dcotor's orders, that I have taken in the last 10 years, was a mucinex to relieve a mucus build up in my throat, I have taken no painkillers I can remember in my life, and absolutely none I know for a fact in the last 20 years.

All my personal feelings on medicine aside, I have a longer and better experience with psychiatry than most people do, but I will have to go into a little of my background. About 10 years ago, I was diagnosed with schizophrenia myself, I will just post a link to wikipedia for people who do not know much about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia

Anyway, I had many sources of stress in my life when it was triggered and fully realized by my family and doctors they took me to.
If you have seen the movie "A Beautiful Mind" it was about a longterm onset of this on a famous mathematics professor, (starred Russel Crowe as the professor)
Most people with my form of schizophrenia, have delusions that are not very bizarre (not talking about seeing clowns everywhere or random voices that have nothing to do with what is going on in your life) but are very complex delusions and very believable even to people who have studied them, leading to it being a major problem even for people of great intellect who would otherwise be able to recognize and deal with it much earlier.

I will not go into what happened to me personally much, but I will say some of my experiences with the people working in the field of psychiatric care and mental health.

I never had a great trust of the average doctor, but when I had to start meeting with a mental health professional every so often, I began to learn that many of them care deeply about these issues.

Most of them either have suffered from a mental health problem of their own or had a family member with such a problem sometime in their life, even the higher ranking mental health doctors usually have personal reasons for entering the field.

At first I thought no one could possibly understand the depth of what I was going through, but over the years as I have come to get to know some of them better and experience their personalities, I have come to know that most of them are definitely out to do good for people who have trouble at times, feeling anything at all, or having learning trouble, or any kind of problem with the mind that could cause loss of happiness for that person on a severe level.

I do not know about ritolin you mentioned, usually used in hyperactive children to keep them calm in school setting, I am still on the fence about that one and the use of mentality drugs on young children in a part of their life where they are most growing into who they will become, but I do know that without mental health professionals my life would likely be much worse at this point than it has been since I was diagnosed.

Many people in mental health care have personal reasons as I said for entering that work.
One of my psychiatrists had nearly the same diagnosis as I do.
One of the nurses who I see alot was a nurse in recent Iraq/Afghanastan war and suffers from PTSD, attending a local VA treatment hospital for people who have PTSD.
Many of them realize that things can happen to children that will greatly traumatize them. Most of them didn't enter child psychiatric science to control the minds of kids, but to help kids who have had hard lives be more at ease and experience more joy.

Also many are trying to help improve quality of life for children who have severe learning disability or major disconnects from the world as most people know it.

In history, before mental health became a respected science with valid work (before doctors realized the problems with things like thinking all children with severe retardation, learning disability, or other problems were simply possessed by devils and needed to be in a straight jacket at the asylum) there were mistreatments of these types of people across the board, even when they were relatively intelligent even with respect to the common level of thought.

For example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elephant_Man_(film)

What I am getting at is, there are still problems with the science of medicine in all areas, but they are getting closer to the perfection of it every day, and most doctors are out for the good of everyone, even mental health doctors.
The coward desires revenge but being afraid to die, he looks to others, maybe to the government of the day, to do the work of defense for him.
cyberwuss

Re: is anyone besides me tired of A D D ?

Postby starry* *night » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:18 am

well I know of unreasonably bad experiences specifically with ritalin
and another medication

I'm going to recount my own
and ask a friend if they are ok with me recounting their's later

after my Grandparents died I had a guilt based depression
my mom took me to a doctor
and the medication I was given there lead to several extremely confusing nightmares
at the end of one nightmare I suddenly yelled that I hated one of my best friends

before I was given the medication everything about my depression was just concern whether I had hurt some friend's feelings , unfortunately friends I couldn't go talk to right away to make sure things were ok ,
and I remember that during the nightmare that resulted from the medication there was not a single thought that lead up to the shout it just screamed out

little children's thought and people that are already at a disadvantage of being in need of care can't always tell you or express what more is really wrong even if they get results like I did

I have another fact that I wanted to mention I heard about meds but I think this is a poor time to do it
?I wonder if it be a case of too much concern and accidentally over analyzing what's should be in a child's behavior, I don't know if grown ups always remember what it's like to think like kids
I'm just starting to remember some of my childhood thoughts by looking back at my old little golden books but I just don't think drugs help
Don't change any of those front doors.
starry* *night

Return to Open Forum