Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Discussion of the CW TV show "Arrow"

Non-TF related Conversations

Re: Discussion of the CW TV show "Arrow"

Postby Sabrblade » Wed May 15, 2013 8:07 pm

*SPOILERS*

That season finale was... gutsy. Nearly everything it set out to do only "seemed" like it was accomplished, when reality came to hit hard with unexpected twists and massive loss for Oliver.

He failed to stop the Glades from being leveled, he failed to kill Malcolm (based on what he said, at least), he failed to keep his family safe, he failed to save Laurel (Tommy did that), and he failed to keep Tommy from getting killed. After all this widespread failure, who knows how season 2 (whenever it'll air) will play out.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby cyberwuss » Wed May 15, 2013 8:25 pm

***SPOILERS***

I thought the finale was amazing.

Liked when Malcolm caught the arrow again and it was a grenade arrow.

Was surprised that Tommy died, was expecting him to come back as a hero at the end, but was expecting the person to die to be Diggle.

Liked how Oliver and friends turned the missiles against the island terrorists in the flashbacks.

Was great how Oliver's mom went after Malcolm on the news and supported Laurel's dad in what he was saying at the police station.

For season 2 I am expecting Malcolm to somehow get out of prison and that maybe he was released from the prison by Slade Wilson, now in his Deathstroke more villainous form, and having Green Arrow and friends have to go up against Deathstroke and Malcolm for season 2, and possibly alot of other neat comic references like we saw in season 1 with Firefly, Deadshot, and others.
The coward desires revenge but being afraid to die, he looks to others, maybe to the government of the day, to do the work of defense for him.
cyberwuss

Postby Wing Saber » Wed May 15, 2013 8:26 pm

Sabrblade wrote:he failed to kill Malcolm (based on what he said, at least)

I think he was just saying that to comfort Tommy.

As for the finale, I was shocked by three things (Two I was very pleased with, one not so much)
First, I was shocked that Detective Lance came to a turnaround.
Second, I was shocked that Tommy turned on his father instead of helping him
Third (the dissapointing one), I was shocked that Roy Harper didn't discover who the vigilante is.
As this episode was titled "Sacrifice", It was obvious someone was going to die. The beginning set it up like it could have been four people
1. Diggle - His struggles with Olver seemed to come to an end with them finally teaming up to battle. His story would have been concluded. Although I would have been sad to see him go, it seemed right. especially when he was shot by Malcolm. plus, it would have opened up for Roy. But alas, it was not so.
2. Roy Harper - Him coming to the realization that he needed to help people and fight for the glades would seem a fitting end for him. I knew he wouldn't die, as did any comic book fan who knows who Roy becomes, but anyone with no previous exposure might think this would happen.
3. Detective Lance - This was my guess. He came to accept the vigilante, he lost his job, it doesn't seem like he has much story left in him. I thought he would sacrifice himself to stop the device. Not to mention his call to Laurel. Again, it was not so.
4. Tommy - I wouldn't have thought this. He never truly came to an end with his struggle with Oliver. They were united against a common foe, his father, but they still hadn't come to terms with one another. I thought Tommy would go War Machine style and take over as the Dark Archer, but as an anti-hero. Being a hero and saving people, but still fighting Oliver. It was not to be

I predict this will happen next season:
Oliver comes out of the building, carrying Tommy, causing Laurel and DL to discover his identity
On the island, the Deathstroke that Slade "killed" is still alive.
Also, the Deadshot storyline is still open for next season.
Also, what happened to Diggle?
Wing Saber

Postby cyberwuss » Wed May 15, 2013 8:36 pm

I think the flashbacks of season 2 will show more of the island and Deathstroke story, maybe also showing either how they soon escape the island, or how they wind up stuck on the island another 3 years until the three of them part ways.

We know so far that in the flashbacks they have 3 more years until Oliver is discovered on the island.

We have also seen hints that Oliver has left the island before, possibly to go to China and other parts of mainland Asia.

From the looks of it he may have traveled with Slade for a while then returned to the island to be rescued as a way to cover up that he had secretly been training with a ninjalike mercenary commando for 5 years.

Not sure if they said in the flashbacks he washed up 1 or 2 years ago, but I'm certain it was 2 or less.
The coward desires revenge but being afraid to die, he looks to others, maybe to the government of the day, to do the work of defense for him.
cyberwuss

Postby Wing Saber » Wed May 15, 2013 8:39 pm

cyberwuss wrote:I think the flashbacks of season 2 will show more of the island and Deathstroke story, maybe also showing either how they soon escape the island, or how they wind up stuck on the island another 3 years until the three of them part ways.

We know so far that in the flashbacks they have 3 more years until Oliver is discovered on the island.

We have also seen hints that Oliver has left the island before, possibly to go to China and other parts of mainland Asia.

From the looks of it he may have traveled with Slade for a while then returned to the island to be rescued as a way to cover up that he had secretly been training with a ninjalike mercenary commando for 5 years.

Not sure if they said in the flashbacks he washed up 1 or 2 years ago, but I'm certain it was 2 or less.

Not sure if you saw it, but in the first episode when Oliver is rescued, You can see Deathroke's mask on a stick with a hole where the eye is. Also, from the comics I know that Slade Wilson is Deathstroke, and he's blind in one eye thanks to Green Arrow
Wing Saber

Postby cyberwuss » Wed May 15, 2013 8:54 pm

Wing Saber wrote:
cyberwuss wrote:I think the flashbacks of season 2 will show more of the island and Deathstroke story, maybe also showing either how they soon escape the island, or how they wind up stuck on the island another 3 years until the three of them part ways.

Not sure if you saw it, but in the first episode when Oliver is rescued, You can see Deathroke's mask on a stick with a hole where the eye is. Also, from the comics I know that Slade Wilson is Deathstroke, and he's blind in one eye thanks to Green Arrow

The most surprising thing to me so far was that the Chinese archery guy was shot in the head, was expecting him to live longer.

I saw the mask on the shore with Oliver when he was picked up, but didn't take note of the hole in the mask.

I know Slade Wilson is Deathstroke, but didn't know he was blind in one eye because of Oliver.

I think Billy Wintergreen version is dead, and possibly Oliver was either using Billy's mask while he was teamed up with Slade in his off island stuff, or maybe Slade asked him to leave the mask in an obvious place so that it looked like both Wintergreen and Wilson are dead, and since Oliver was wanting to cover the fact he left the island, he was willing to help Slade fake his own death and fade into the shadows a bit.

Could also be that it really is Slade's mask and they had a violent falling out when Oliver decides its time to go back to public life. Still expecting to see Deathstroke in season 2, maybe even with his cybernetic upgrades.

Another thing to note, is that on Smallville they sort of give a quick note that Oliver was lost on an island for a while, different storyline I know, but same TV network... anyway there was an episode where blonde Smallville Oliver has to confront the guy who trained him to fight, and it is shown that he may have trained him on the island. In a way he even looks a bit like Slade with similar haircut and bodytype. So not sure if they were building up for the Arrow show even back then and are reusing some ideas from Smallville in a different way or if the guy who comes after Oliver on Smallville was supposed to be the same character as Slade. However if they are using something along the same lines for the plot, then it would lean towards Oliver having a fight with Slade, and Slade is coming after him somehow later.
cyberwuss

Postby Wing Saber » Wed May 15, 2013 9:03 pm

cyberwuss wrote: I saw the mask on the shore with Oliver when he was picked up, but didn't take note of the hole in the mask.

I know Slade Wilson is Deathstroke, but didn't know he was blind in one eye because of Oliver.

I think Billy Wintergreen version is dead, and possibly Oliver was either using Billy's mask while he was teamed up with Slade in his off island stuff, or maybe Slade asked him to leave the mask in an obvious place so that it looked like both Wintergreen and Wilson are dead, and since Oliver was wanting to cover the fact he left the island, he was willing to help Slade fake his own death and fade into the shadows a bit.

Could also be that it really is Slade's mask and they had a violent falling out when Oliver decides its time to go back to public life. Still expecting to see Deathstroke in season 2, maybe even with his cybernetic upgrades.

I think Wintergreen is still alive, and he and Slade are still working some secret agenda, Wintergreen from the shadows, and Slade in plain site. I think he lied when he said they just crashed there.
Wing Saber

Postby Sabrblade » Wed May 15, 2013 9:19 pm

Tommy not turning evil and being killed off the way he was both surprised me, as the former seemed so obvious and the latter just happened so suddenly. I'm honestly glad he didn't pull a Lex Luthor and become the enemy of his best friend, but that they killed him off like that when he was on the path to redemption and reconciliation with Oliver ticked me off.

cyberwuss wrote:Another thing to note, is that on Smallville they sort of give a quick note that Oliver was lost on an island for a while, different storyline I know, but same TV network... anyway there was an episode where blonde Smallville Oliver has to confront the guy who trained him to fight, and it is shown that he may have trained him on the island. In a way he even looks a bit like Slade with similar haircut and bodytype. So not sure if they were building up for the Arrow show even back then and are reusing some ideas from Smallville in a different way or if the guy who comes after Oliver on Smallville was supposed to be the same character as Slade. However if they are using something along the same lines for the plot, then it would lean towards Oliver having a fight with Slade, and Slade is coming after him somehow later.
The guy from Smallville was "Vordigan", another expy of the Merlyn comics character like Malcolm turned out to be.

Though, Vordigan trained Oliver in that series after Oliver (and Tess) escaped his two-year exile on the island. Whilst on the island, Oliver trained himself.

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:10 am

Turns out that actor/martial artist Jason David Frank (Tommy from Power Rangers) is a fan of this show, and his three favorite things about it are:
    1. The guy wears green
    2. His name is "Oliver"
    3. His best friend's name is "Tommy"

JDF: "'Tommy', 'Oliver', 'green', YES!" :mrgreen:

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Wing Saber » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:14 am

I don't get it, is it a Power Rangers joke?
Wing Saber

PreviousNext

Return to Open Forum