Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

DC Nation

Non-TF related Conversations

DC Nation

Postby Sabrblade » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:20 am

With Green Lantern and Young Justice both coming to an end with their final episodes airing this Saturday, with both being succeeded by Teen Titans Go! and Beware the Batman this Summer, I felt it was high time to create a standard DC Nation thread to discuss the shows in the block both new and old, as well as the shorts.

Both GL and YJ had great runs with some fantastic storytelling and epic events, with a lot of heart and ingenuity woven into each. It will be sad to see them both go, but alas, given the nature of each, the end was frankly inevitable. GL seemed to only come about due to the Ryan Reynolds movie, which has come and gone itself; and YJ, well, it's a Greg Weissman cartoon, folks. Those always get canned by the networks, regardless of how well he makes them. :-(

What's more frustrating is that Weissman hasn't learned a thing from any of his past experiences, opting to not resolve all loose ends in the show before it ends, thinking that he can always come back to it in the hopes that some other network will pick it up (but as history has shown us, none of his shows ever are and are ALWAYS left unfinished because he doesn't stick within the limitations that a TV cartoon show is allotted). So, no Darkseid, no Apokolips, no resolving of the stuff with Sphere, no filling in all the blanks of the five-year gap, no showing where the Warworld was taken (though Apokolips is most likely, but again, we won't see it), just the Reach invasion being stopped and maybe one or two other things, but that's it. Weissman created this superb epic of a story with a grander scale than the show could handle. There's thinking big, and then there's thinking too big.

And GL has just one more episode to resolve all of the crises and knots that its written itself into. Aya's got a lot to answer for for her actions should she be purified and not killed. Some of the greatest crimes against life itself need to be be brought to justice, all while dealing with the Anti-Monitor's still-existence and the strict bureaucracy of the Guardians of Oa. The fate of everything is hanging in the balance and all relying on this one episode to fix it all.

As for the new series replacing these two, Teen Titans Go! has me skeptical. The first Teen Titans cartoon from a few years ago was just excellent, being extremely well written with each season being a self-contained fully developed story arc driven by the characters and their actions, as well as having the appropriate balance of comedic episodes to counteract the darkness and psychological drama of the plotworthy episodes. What has me skeptical about this new Go! series, however, is the fact that all press releases seem to emphasize only the comedy aspects of the show, as though it's just going to be funny and little else. Don't get me wrong, I loved the funny episodes of the first show, but that's also because it wasn't just funny. It had a balance between the two ends of the comedy and action drama spectrum, and I'm hoping this remains the case for TTGo! since I want to like it as much as the first series.

Beware the Batman, however, has me curious. A CGI Batman series that has a strong detective-based theme and thematic realism to its storytelling sounds really interesting. Alfred as a former MI6 agent in his 60s yet still providing aid to Batman could make for a greater sense of camaraderie between the two, in addition to the surrogate father/son relationship they will likely still have. The use of more obscure villains sounds like it will help to give the series a more fresh feel, with the appearances of more familiar villains like Ra's al Ghul having more gravity to them. The addition of Katana into the cast is interesting, along with her backstory of being a former member of the League of Shadows and the CIA. I look forward to seeing more of what this show has to offer.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Re: DC Nation

Postby cyberwuss » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:54 pm

First I've heard of the Beware the Batman series coming out, might have to catch it online, I only have broadcast OTA TV, so like 7 or 8 channels.

Will try to follow this as long as it is watchable online.

I tried watching Star Wars The Clone Wars on starwars.com but that site is just way too slow from traffic or something, I managed to catch like 2 or 3 shows but the lag was so bad I gave up after that.

Hopefully I'll find Batman somewhere it is watchable.
The coward desires revenge but being afraid to die, he looks to others, maybe to the government of the day, to do the work of defense for him.
cyberwuss

Postby Wing Saber » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:19 pm

Young Justice is amazing, and I'm almost as sad to see it go as I was Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. It surpassed all other DC cartoons, even Batman Beyond!

Sabrblade wrote:no showing where the Warworld was taken (though Apokolips is most likely, but again, we won't see it), just the Reach invasion being stopped and maybe one or two other things, but that's it. Weissman created this superb epic of a story with a grander scale than the show could handle. There's thinking big, and then there's thinking too big.

Actually, I think Savage is taking the War World to the planet that the main Justice League members are imprisoned to attempt to destroy it, and the justice league with it
Wing Saber

Postby Sabrblade » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:39 pm

Wing Saber wrote:Actually, I think Savage is taking the War World to the planet that the main Justice League members are imprisoned to attempt to destroy it, and the justice league with it
Well, it's just that the Light's heavy use of Boom Tubes and Father Boxes, as well as the previous appearances of Desaad, the Forever People, and Sphere hailing from New Genesis all suggested a foreshadowing to Apokolips and Darkseid coming into play; a foreshadowing that will ultimately be unrealized. :(

Oh, and one more thing that might not get resolved is the stuff with the Super Friends.

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Wing Saber » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:18 pm

Sabrblade wrote:
Wing Saber wrote:Actually, I think Savage is taking the War World to the planet that the main Justice League members are imprisoned to attempt to destroy it, and the justice league with it
Well, it's just that the Light's heavy use of Boom Tubes and Father Boxes, as well as the previous appearances of Desaad, the Forever People, and Sphere hailing from New Genesis all suggested a foreshadowing to Apokolips and Darkseid coming into play;

Looks like both of us were right. Savage took the War World first to the planet where the Justice League was imprisoned, though not to destroy it, to show his dominance. Then took it, as you predicted, to Darkseid at Apokolips.

I seriously hope this show gets picked up by another network. Cartoon Network is stupid for cancelling it in favor of Teen Titans Go or Beware the Batman.
Wing Saber

Postby ironrod prime » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:52 pm

I think the stuff with sphere was pretty much resolved
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:00 pm

Well, that was something. Between the two, I think I preferred Green Lantern's finale. Granted, both finales felt open ended and unfinished, but at least GL ended on a more hopeful note than how Young Justice ended with little closure and killing off Wally! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Honestly, he and Artemis were the one couple I was hoping to see come out alright in the end, yet they pretty much sank that ship. :-( Not to mention how he pretty much got the short end of the stick this season, hardly appearing during the whole "undercover Artemis" arc. :roll:

Wing Saber wrote:I seriously hope this show gets picked up by another network. Cartoon Network is stupid for cancelling it in favor of Teen Titans Go or Beware the Batman.
As are Disney for canning both Gargoyles and Spectacular Spider-Man (the latter of which happened due to Disney buying Marvel, but instead of continuing it, they replaced it with the less enjoyable Ultimate Spider-Man).

It's the curse of every Greg Weissman cartoon. He never gives full closure to his shows because he thinks he can keep them going beyond their limits, and come back to them at a later point even when said later points never come. I applaud the man for his excellent storytelling and great overall creative visions, but he really needs to take a step back and stay within a more reasonable scope.

And having seen the commercial for Teen Titans Go! for the first time today, I must say that I did not like the looks of what I saw. I mean, people say Animated was bright and cheery, this looks like it couldn't get any lighter. By comparison, it makes the previous Teen Titans cartoon look like, well, Young Justice! i'm glad they got all the original cast together, but come on. It looks about as far off from the first cartoon as humanly possible; almost like something out of the current line up of comedy-based CN shows. Even those New Teen Titans DC Nation shorts looked better, and those were indeed pretty funny.

I know I know, judging a book by its cover and all. I'm still gonna give is a shot, but it had better knock my socks off if it wants to impress me at this point.

Beware the Batman still looks promising, though.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Agent X » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:12 pm

Green Lantern has a good season/series finally. I had thought since the begging of second story arc that Razor would become a Blue Lantern

However Young Justice had an ending that works as a season finally but not a series finally. Savage and Darkseid working together, come on that just screams third season
Immaturity is shown by not trying to understand others, but by judging others.
Agent X

Postby Sabrblade » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:57 pm

Agent X wrote:However Young Justice had an ending that works as a season finally but not a series finally. Savage and Darkseid working together, come on that just screams third season
Like I said, it's the curse of all Greg Weisman cartoons. He just leaves things hanging so he can have story material ready for new seasons that never come.

And Wally's death was definitely more like a season finale death instead of a series finale death. The way he just faded away like that makes it obvious that he would have been back had there been a third season. But as is, he ain't coming back till this show comes back (which, as history has shown. isn't likely to come back). :roll:

At least he gave the Super Friends enough closure with them turning down the offer to become heroes and only Virgil joining as Static. Loved that moment between him and Black Lightning.

If any of the others would ahve joined, I would have expected Tye to be the most likely choice due to his friendship with Jaime, enabling him to become Apache Chief or Long Shadow or whatever they'd call his superhero identity in this show.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:25 pm

Saw another commercial for Teen Titans Go!; this time it was one that did feature some fight scene footage. Having seen some bits of action now, I feel a little more relieved, but still skeptical.

Thinking about it more, there is one other show that this one (based on what shown in its commercials) is starting to remind me of: The Powerpuff Girls, which was a brilliantly enjoyable series in its own right.

If this new TTG series proves to be as entertaining as PPG was, it might just win me over altogether. Here's hoping.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Next

Return to Open Forum