Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Mask idea

Non-TF related Conversations

Mask idea

Postby Wing Saber » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:51 pm

For theator, I am creating a mask of which I am going to have to create a character. I thought I'd see if anyone here had ideas. So far, these are two great ideas I've had:

The Optimus Primal mouthguard, with the bars above and below the mouth
Half-black half-white, kind of like Deathstroke from Arrow. (In which case the character would have multiple personalities
Wing Saber

Re: Mask idea

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:25 pm

When I took Stagecraft in my senior year of high school, we had to make plaster masks for an assignment one time and I made (or at least attempted to make) mine look like Doctor Doom.

I say "attempted" since I was going by memory rather than using a visual reference. So mine ended up looking similar to but not quite the same as Doom's mask since I added in details which I thought were on his mask but really weren't. :oops:

That same year of high school, I also took Intro to Drama in which at one point were studying up on the Greek theatre drama and plays about their mythology, and came to a point where we were assigned to make (non-wearable) gallon bottle masks of a particular Greek god, goddess, or mythological character.

I chose to make mine be Poseidon, and used none other than the Seacon combiner King Poseidon (Japanese counterpart of Piranacon) from Transformers: Chojin Masterforce, for reference. But this time I did use a visual aid (a drawing of his head) and ended up making a fairly close approximation of his head, but nothing too fancy since the materials we used were ordinary "arts & crafts" stuff like colored construction paper, scissors, glue, etc.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:33 am

I Made a mask once for drama class in high school based on an old wwf wrestler by the name of kane
ironrod prime

Postby Wing Saber » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:46 pm

Sabrblade: Yes, since posting this I have decided I want a doom-style hood and cape for my mask.
It would be cool to do a full mask, but that would be rather difficult.

Also, I mentioned above the Primal mouth, I'm also considering a regular Optimus Prime faceplate for it.

I'm not really looking to replicate an already existing mask, I'm just drawing elements from already existing masks or characters
Wing Saber

Postby Wing Saber » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:48 pm

I've decided on the following:

Half black/half white
Optimus Prime style Mouthguard
black side will have sunglass lens for eye, white side will be open eyed

If I can find a way to do it, I'll to the hood and cape for it.
Wing Saber

Postby Wing Saber » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:17 pm

Say, how did you two make your masks? I was going to use Wonderflex, but then I realized how expensive it would be.
Wing Saber

Postby ironrod prime » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:37 pm

I made mine from clay and paper mache
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:24 pm

My not-Doctor Doom mask was made, IIRC, from a plaster mold we had. We then used paints and other arts & crafts materials for additional details.

My Poseidon "mask" was just an empty plastic water gallon jug turned upside-down and with colored construction paper glued/and/or taped onto it.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Return to Open Forum