Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

anime thread

Non-TF related Conversations

Re: anime thread

Postby ironrod prime » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:08 pm

But it is true that armada aired in the u.s. a year before micron legend aired in japan
ironrod prime

Postby Unicron fan » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:20 pm

ironrod prime wrote:But it is true that armada aired in the u.s. a year before micron legend aired in japan

But the show is Japanese made, even though it's English dubbed, so; It's still anime. ;) Whether it aired in English version or Japanese version first does not count, but what was the original language and where it was made, does. ;)
Unicron fan

Postby ironrod prime » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:00 pm

Im not saying it's not im just saying it was made into an anime after armada aired
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:27 pm

Oy. The Unicron Trilogy franchises, meaning not just the shows but EVERYTHING, was a co-production done jointly between both Hasbro and Takara. Hasbro laid down the basics for the storylines of the fiction (comics, books, cartoons, etc.) but left it to separate individual companies to actual go about making each one. Dreamwave handled the comics, while several Japanese studios created the cartoons and all their specifics. Hasbro laid out what each show was to be about, but it was the Japanese people who actually went about making the shows and all the specific details behind their episode plots and character portrayals. Things like Cyclonus being silly and Thrust being a tactician who went loony were all Japan's doing, as the American comics had Cyclonus being more of a thug and Thrust being like a rough-n-tumble cowboy. All the individual stories from the cartoons were written by Japanese people, as the dubbers at Voicebox were just localizing the shows with having no say as to what each episode's plots would be about. The only real input Hasbro had over the cartoons was the basic concepts of each (which applies for all fiction in general), which characters they should involve, the later decision to insert Unicron into the story (as Unicron was not originally intended to be in Armada), and the approval of content.

It's not like how TF: Prime is animated by a Japanese studio that's outsourced by Hasbro Studios, rather, the Unicron Trilogy cartoons were all made in-house by Japanese studios working under Takara who was collaborating with Hasbro in only a platonic manner, whereas TF: Prime is handled by Hasbro more personally.

As for Armada's English version coming first, the Japanese version's script was still already made by the time Armada began being dubbed. It just wasn't yet finalized as the English version was being rushed to get on the air at a time when the Japanese version it was adapting wasn't yet ready to air. Thus, all the earliest episodes of Armada had scripts based on shoddy, non-finalized Japanese scripts that wouldn't be ready to air in Japan for a few more months, and resulted in all the lousy dialogue and acting I keep talking about in my Armada re-watch thread. The Japanese version was made first, it just wasn't yet at a point at which it would be ready to be properly released.

Besides, people earlier in this thread talked about how IGPX was co-produced by Cartoon Network with that show's Japanese creator, yet it's still considered an anime. Another show like this would be Ōban Star-Racers, which was anime co-produced by Japan and France, or the Spider Riders anime, which was co-produced by Canada and Japan.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:39 am

Huh a Canadian anime. Who knew?
ironrod prime

Postby Wing Saber » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:44 pm

I forgot to add Transformers animes, so I'll add those to my list now:

Transformers: Robots in Disguise
Transformers Armada
Transformers Energon
Transformers Cybertron

Not sure if Headmasters counts, but I am now watching that.
Wing Saber

Postby ironrod prime » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:11 pm

Headmasters is a Japanese show so yeah it counts
ironrod prime

Postby Wing Saber » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:22 am

ironrod prime wrote:Headmasters is a Japanese show so yeah it counts

I wasn't sure if it was Japanese shows that qualify as anime, or Japanese shows that air in America, because Headmasters has never aired here.
Wing Saber

Postby ironrod prime » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:24 am

Fyi most Japanese shows are considered anime ;)
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:56 pm

Every cartoon made by Japan for Japan is anime. Anime airing in foreign markets tend to be a secondary priority, unless such cases like the Unicron Trilogy, IGPX, etc. involve the Japanese companies partnering up with foreign companies to produce the shows for global markets initially, but still prioritizing them to air in Japan.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Open Forum