Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

anime thread

Non-TF related Conversations

Re: anime thread

Postby Wing Saber » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:17 pm

Sabrblade wrote:Being animated in Japan isn't enough to make a cartoon be considered an anime, otherwise shows like The Transformers (G1), Animaniacs, Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, Transformers Animated, Transformers: Prime, ThunderCats (2011-2012), and many other American cartoons would have to be considered anime.

Well,
its intended meaning of the term sometimes varies depending on the context.[2] Among Japanese, the term references all animation.[3] In English, the term is defined as a Japanese-disseminated animation style often characterized by colorful graphics, vibrant characters and fantastic themes.[4][5] Arguably, the stylization approach to the meaning may open up the possibility of anime produced in countries, other than Japan.[6][7][8] Yet, for simplicity, many Westerners strictly view anime as an animation product from Japan.[5]
Wing Saber

Postby ironrod prime » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:19 pm

This is pretty interesting. Take a look

ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:09 pm

Wing Saber wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:Being animated in Japan isn't enough to make a cartoon be considered an anime, otherwise shows like The Transformers (G1), Animaniacs, Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, Transformers Animated, Transformers: Prime, ThunderCats (2011-2012), and many other American cartoons would have to be considered anime.

Well,
its intended meaning of the term sometimes varies depending on the context.[2] Among Japanese, the term references all animation.[3] In English, the term is defined as a Japanese-disseminated animation style often characterized by colorful graphics, vibrant characters and fantastic themes.[4][5] Arguably, the stylization approach to the meaning may open up the possibility of anime produced in countries, other than Japan.[6][7][8] Yet, for simplicity, many Westerners strictly view anime as an animation product from Japan.[5]
1. It's Wikipedia, not some official source.
2. The Japanese definition of "Anime" referring to all cartoons has no bearing in the West.
3. It's animation produced by a Japanese company for Japanese audiences, with any foreign (i.e. - non-Japanese) market releases being adapted from the Japanese source material.

Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go! was created by Americans intending to satirize the anime style, and outsourced a Japanese studio to help make their product. Hundreds of American cartoons use Japanese (or other Asian) animation studios for their works, whether they're anime-esque cartoons or not, and have done so for decades.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Sabrblade » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:04 pm

I wish I had heard about this sooner, cuz it looks awesome!

There was a new movie for Cyborg 009 that came out in Japan last year, titled "009 RE:CYBORG".

I like the character redesigns, giving them all realistic hairstyles and less cartoony abilities (like in the case of 007 having camouflage powers instead of shapeshifting), but they're thankfully not too distinct from the classic looks to make them unrecognizable. 003 and 001 especially look the least different.

And it sounds like there may be more than one English dub coming, since both Anime Limited (in the UK) and FUNimation (in the U.S.) have acquired the movie's license with the intention of dubbing it. Anime Limited will cast actors from NYAV Post in New York (the same folks 4Kids used to use for their anime dubs) and FUNi will likely use their own Texas-based in-house voice cast (as they usually do).

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:20 pm

Sweet i loved 009-1
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:36 pm

ironrod prime wrote:Sweet i loved 009-1
That's a different series. This is Cyborg 009.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:29 pm

Hey they're both 009 shows about cyborgs what do you want from me :P
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:50 pm

ironrod prime wrote:Hey they're both 009 shows about cyborgs what do you want from me :P
Didn't you watch the latter back when it was on Toonami in 2003?

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:14 am

Don't have cable :(
ironrod prime

Previous

Return to Open Forum