Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Power Rangers: Samurai

Non-TF related Conversations

Power Rangers: Samurai

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:17 pm

Well, the wait is finally over. The world premiere of Power Rangers: Samurai has finally aired tonight on Nickelodeon. And how exactly does this new series made by Saban hold up with the other previous series? Well... let's just say I've seen better.

I mean, seriously, this couldn't possibly have been Episode 1! The way it was handled was as though it was expected of the audience to already know who these characters were and what was going on. Nothing was given a proper introduction, and the Rangers were treated as though they had already been existing! Did they just decide to skip the *real* first episode or something?

And what exactly was the point of that one scene with Bulk and Sku-- er, I mean Spike ( :roll: ), anyway? Besides for fanwank, it served no purpose to overall plot of the episode. Do these two even know the Rangers? Do the Rangers know them? What is their connection to the this series aside from eye-candy!?

And the monster, gaaah, this monster was annoying as all get out! He would not shut up at all, and every single line of dialogue he spoke during the fight scenes were nothing but painfully-bad one-liners! Enough with the puns, already! Would it really kill them to give us some decent competent dialogue?

But, aside from all this confusion and irritation, the action was good and the soundtrack was epic. The theme song was revamp of the original "Go Go Power Rangers!" with some rewritten lyrics to better fit with this series. And it was great!

So overall, good action, poor continuity, awful villain dialogue, and great music.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Re: Power Rangers: Samurai

Postby DocWho » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:08 pm

It's supposedly episode 3. I guess Nick just wanted to start this series off with a bang.

Also, yikes. That was pretty bad dialogue. Finally hits home that Saban really is in charge again.

Polenicus wrote:Unicron.com are my HEROES.

Follow me on Twitter
DocWho

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:21 pm

DocWho wrote:It's supposedly episode 3. I guess Nick just wanted to start this series off with a bang.
If that's the case then 1) where are episodes one and two, and 2) where is the info on these two missing episodes?

DocWho wrote:Also, yikes. That was pretty bad dialogue. Finally hits home that Saban really is in charge again.
What happened to the competence of the In Space through Time Force era?

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Sabrblade » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:51 pm

Episode 2 -

Okay, this time we get a bit of backstory with some opening narration at the very beginning of the episode. Why this wasn't done before in the previous episode is still beyond me. It would have really helped to explain the story.

Xandred: "Do you know how many Nighlok have failed me already?!! Failure is not an option!!!" - Hmm, I count... one. Unless we're missing a episdoe or two (*hint hint*), only one Nighlok has failed you , Xandred. :roll:

Once again, the scene with Bulk and Spike was pointless, but Bulk's still delightful to watch (Spike, however, is going to take some serious getting used to).

Kevin's moment of nostalgic emotion could have been executed a LOT better than it was.

Okay, cooking with a sword = awesome. 8-)

The staff thrown by the Nighlok hitting the ground like it did just screams "Tuxedo Kamen rose". :P

The Nighlok keeps calling Kevin and Mia "Rangers" in front of the kid. Does the secret identity rule hold up in this series or not?
Also, how do Kevin and Mia know the kid's name? It wasn't said out loud before.
Also also, that kid is a terrible actor.

Mia: "How dare you pick on a little kid! That's unforgivable!" - Yurusenai! Ai to seigi no sailor fuku bishoujo senshi! Sailor Moon! Tsuki ni kawatte oshiokiyo! :P

First appearance of the Fire Smasher (outside of that preview clip), the Forest Spear, the Earth Slicer, the Hydro Bow, and the Sky Fan.

What exactly is the point of Mega Mode? If it's just to pilot the zords, wouldn't it be cheaper to just use the Shinkenger mecha cockpit scenes?

This Nighlok was a a lot dignified than the last one. While he still had the occasional cheesy line or two, at least not everything to come out of his mouth was a bad pun.

Leave it to Bulk (and Spike) to turn a predictably cliche moment into a delightful comedic moment. :grin:

All in all, this episode was a decent filler episode. Though, next week, the Rangers are getting another zord. What? A new zord in only the third episode? What is up with the pacing of this show?

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Sabrblade » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:02 pm

Episode 3 -

Is it just me, or does Emily's character seem like it was written for a much younger person than she is? I get that she might be acting on the "dumb blonde" archetype mixed with a "goody-goody" trait, but she doesn't really seem to act like someone her age would.

In fact, the only one of the Rangers whose acting seems believable is Mike. His character seems real, while everyone else seems to act a little more wooden.

Why does Jayden suddenly already have the Beetle Disk? Why don't we see him getting it first?

Spike's trying a little to hard to be like Skull.

Oy, a stereotypically Texan-accented monster who won't stop talking. This is gonna hurt.

Jayden learned to master the Beetle Disk quite literally through Burning Justice. So the moral here is, if you want to achieve something, keep at it till you pass out and scream as loud as you can. :P

First appearance of the Fire Smasher Kayden Blast Mode and the Five-Disk Beetle Cannon.

"Sure." "Hope." "This." "Helps." - *facepalm*

Say, what is the method used to make the Nighlok grow giant in this series? I can't recall if it has been said yet.

First appearance of the Beetle Zord and the Beetle Blaster Megazord.

Jayden: "Well, guess what! Things are about to get real buggy for you, buddy!" - *double facepalm*

So. Many. PUNS! Gyaaahh!

Hello! Giant Moogers?!! Aw, YEAH! Now we got the enemies thinking smart for once! Making the foot soldiers giant sized is brilliant! At this size, they greatly outnumber and out speed the slow-moving Megazord... unless of course the Rangers have another Deus Ex Machina up their sleeve. :roll:

And next week... another filler. ;)

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Agent X » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:27 pm

I have this feeling that Skull Jr. is going to the the sixth ragner
Immaturity is shown by not trying to understand others, but by judging others.
Agent X

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:41 am

Agent X wrote:I have this feeling that Skull Jr. is going to the the sixth ragner
No. It's some Asian guy whose name was originally going to be "Wesley", but his name isn't finalized yet. He'll be played by a guy named Steven Stryker.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Blademan91 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:40 pm

For some strange reason I think this series is just Saban trying to combine all his shows together under the name PR:S. I saw the commercial for episode three and the second I heard Beetle Blaster Megazord, I had an image of Beetleborgs in the back of my head.

Dont mind me, Im just enjoying my milk.
Blademan91

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:55 pm

Blademan91 wrote:For some strange reason I think this series is just Saban trying to combine all his shows together under the name PR:S. I saw the commercial for episode three and the second I heard Beetle Blaster Megazord, I had an image of Beetleborgs in the back of my head.
The Beetle Zord was in Shinkenger too (as the Kabuto Origami). It has nothing to do with Beetleborgs, Juukou B-Fighter, or B-Fighter Kabuto.

From what I can tell, all Samurai is is just a very faithful and straight adaptation of Samurai Sentai Shinkenger.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Blademan91 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:22 pm

Sadly I wouldnt know. Ive never watched any of the Super Sentai series. Never really got around to it.

Dont mind me, Im just enjoying my milk.
Blademan91

Next

Return to Open Forum