Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Sailor Moon returns to America!!!!

Non-TF related Conversations

Sailor Moon returns to America!!!!

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:49 pm

Kodansha USA has announced their release of the 2003 reprint editions of the Bishōjo Senshi Sailor Moon manga! In addition to this is the first-ever American release of the Codename: Sailor V manga! That's right! Sailor Moon is BACK in the U.S. (no word on the anime yet, though)!!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2011-03-18/kodansha-usa-announces-the-return-of-sailor-moon
http://www.examiner.com/anime-and-manga-in-miami/sailor-moon-returns

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Re: Sailor Moon returns to America!!!!

Postby Agent X » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:20 pm

what about the live action series
Immaturity is shown by not trying to understand others, but by judging others.
Agent X

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:26 pm

Agent X wrote:what about the live action series
You'd really expect them to bring PGSM over here? What's the point? Most tokusatsu dubs aren't that successful over here. And any American Power Rangers-esque adaptation of it would impossible and thus pointless.

Now, a subbed DVD release, however, would be worth getting. 8-) Still, one piece at a time. No need to rush them. Quality over quantity, you know? ;)

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Sabrblade » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:12 pm

Look at what Amazon.com has from pre-order. ;)

Codename: Sailor V - Volume 1 (release date: Sept. 13, 2011)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1935429779

Codename: Sailor V - Volume 2 (release date: Nov. 15, 2011)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1935429787

Sailor Moon - Volume 1 (release date: Sept. 13, 2011)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1935429744

Sailor Moon - Volume 2 (release date: Nov. 15, 2011)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1935429752

Listed price for each is $10.99 USD.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Mechabreaker » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:00 pm

I can remember watching the anime a while back, occasionally. Pretty sure I liked it.
Mechabreaker

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:08 pm

Bad news (regarding the anime) that makes no sense. :-(

http://moon-chase.blogspot.com/2011/04/breaking-news-brazil-puts-up-good-fight.html
Save our Sailors Brazil reported the sad news yesterday that after a long and lengthy crusade to get a redub of Sailor Moon, it was not meant to be. A statement posted to their site from Márcio S. Reginnette, a representative of Brazil’s CD & DVD Factory, states that a redub of Sailor Moon S is not authorized because Naoko Takeuchi has not approved of any redubbing in any language. The same request was made in Italy as well, and was also denied. The statement also makes mention that Toei Animation does not have any exclusivity over the franchise, and prior approval has to be obtained by Naoko Takeuchi. There is also an excellent response to these developments posted over at Papo de Budega.

Click the link for the full story.

This is just ridiculous (if true). :x

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Sabrblade » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:25 pm

We got manga covers and release dates for Sailor V volumes 1-2 and Sailor moon volumes 1-4!

September 13, 2011

November 15, 2011

September 13, 2011

November 15, 2011

January 17, 2012

March 13, 2012

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:07 pm

Sabrblade wrote:
You'd really expect them to bring PGSM over here? What's the point? Most tokusatsu dubs aren't that successful over here.

(thinks of the 4kids ultraman adaptation and shudders)

they could go the super sentai/power rangers route with it mixing american filmed scenes with japanese footage
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:39 pm

ironrod prime wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
You'd really expect them to bring PGSM over here? What's the point? Most tokusatsu dubs aren't that successful over here.

(thinks of the 4kids ultraman adaptation and shudders)

they could go the super sentai/power rangers route with it mixing american filmed scenes with japanese footage
It's not in the plans.

Right now, I'm psyched that we're getting the manga... FAITHFULLY TRANSLATED too! :D :D :D
Q: I guess the first question that comes to mind is: What took so long? Was there a particular reason why it was out of print for almost six years?

Kodansha: We were informed that Ms. Takeuchi felt that the time was right to reintroduce Sailor Moon, not just in the U.S., but in other countries as well. For example, the new edition of manga started being published in Italy last year.

Q: It's great to hear that the new editions of Sailor Moon will be similar to the deluxe editions that were issued in Japan. Will the new Kodansha Comics English editions will have the color pages and stickers as in the Japanese edition?

Kodansha: The Kodansha Comics editions of Sailor Moon will include all of the color pages, but not the stickers.

Q: Will this edition of Sailor Moon be released in a larger trim size or will they be presented in the standard smaller paperback editions?

Kodansha: They will be in our standard 7.5" x 5" format.

Q: Will Codename: Sailor V be released in September the same time as Sailor Moon Vol. 1?

Kodansha: Yes, it will. The second volumes of both series will release in November 2011, and Sailor Moon will continue every two months after that. (NOTE: There will be 12 volumes of the regular storyline and two volumes of side stories, for a total of 14 volumes)

Q: One complaint that fans have about the prior TokyoPop editions is how much the characters' names were Anglicized (e.g. "Bunny" and "Darien"). Will the Japanese names, cultural quirks be retained in this new edition of Sailor Moon?

Kodansha: The Japanese names and cultural references will remain intact, and there will be our standard "translation notes" section in the back of the books.

Q: Another concern is that the TokyoPop editions (and to be fair, in editions published in other countries too) downplayed, if not outright changed the lesbian relationship between Sailor Neptune and Sailor Uranus. Will this aspect of the original Sailor Moon story be retained in this new edition?

Kodansha: The Kodansha Comics translation will stay true to Takeuchi's original storytelling vision and characterization.

There's still a glimmer hope for a redub of the anime, but nothing has been confirmed as of yet (but we're all rooting for FUNimation to get it). In the past, FUNimation has stated that, should they get it, they would give it a complete redub from the ground up. All 200 episodes, all 3 movies, and hopefully all five special shorts.

Though, as for the old news about Naoko saying "No!" to redubs, since this news didn't come from an official source (like herself), it's not holding much weight to its validity as previously thought. So, here's hoping that that was just a misunderstanding.

-------

In other news, merchandise and media rights for the series in America have been licnesed out to Topps and Namico Bandai Games America. - http://www.sailormoonworld.it/component/content/article/1-official/553-aumenta-il-numero-di-licenze-per-sailor-moon

At first, many viewed this with skepticism, but someone on another forum did some digging at the source of this info, http://www.kazachok.com/, and found evidence to support the legitimacy of this news:

Full sized image

So, looks like the U.S. will be getting new Sailor Moon merchandise and media. :D

Though, this does raise the question has to how they'd possibly be able to advertise the series product based solely on the manga. As far as we know, the anime is still in limbo, so how would they be able to market all this with just the manga? :???:

...unless the anime has already been acquired secretly and it's just being kept under wraps until the right moment to make the big announcement. Here's hoping! :grin:

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:56 pm

i hope nickelodion gets it they've done pretty good with their animes so far
ironrod prime

Next

Return to Open Forum