Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

From Hasbro's Transformers Brand

Want to join the Unicron.com news team? Just want to help out? If you find some Transformers news or rumors out there that you'd like to see up on Unicron.com, post them in here. Please credit/link to an original source, even if you found it on another Transformers site. We might just move your post to the Front Page News forum!

From Hasbro's Transformers Brand

Postby Sabrblade » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:57 pm

We've received an official confirmation from Hasbro regarding the Prime cartoon, the War for Cybertron video game, and the Exodus novel:

Hello,

A question was recently posed to Hasbro’s UK office asking if the Transformers Prime television series and the Transformers War for Cybertron video game were in a connected continuity. Unfortunately the wrong answer was delivered and that answer has made its way to the fan community. The TRANSFORMERS brand team would like to confirm that Transformers War for Cybertron video game, Transformers Exodus novel, and the Transformers Prime television show are in the same aligned continuity. Hasbro is creating a single continuity to tell the bulk of our TRANSFORMERS stories going forward.

Please look for further details about the continuity plan and new projects over the next year.

Sincerely,
Joe Moscone
on behalf of Hasbro, Inc.

So yes, despite whatever continuity errors may exist between the three, here is the publicized official word that three are indeed within the same aligned continuity.

Though, we kinda already knew this from past announcements.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Re: From Hasbro's Transformers Brand

Postby Wing Saber » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:59 pm

Have they said anything regarding the Dark Energon error?
Wing Saber

Postby Sabrblade » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:33 pm

Wing Saber wrote:Have they said anything regarding the Dark Energon error?
I wish.

Actually, Perceptor sent out this email he received and told us admins to post it. Nothing more than the above quote was included in what he gave us.

Though, I'm kinda curious as to how he got this message.

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby H Falcon » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:40 pm

This really makes no sense.

I can understand Hasbro wanting to make it simpler to just keep track of everything by saying it's all one continuity. But really?

If they want to do that, then why not try to make a more concise plot?

TFP should be it's own thing. Just like Animated before it. The WFC game is great and was like a re-launch. But it was very clear it was heavily G1 inspired/based. It was even assumed that it was pre-G1 and that they might end up being the very "bots" that ended up crashed on Earth for G1.

Now we are being told that Prime is related to and takes place after the WFC game? Uh... no.

Why are fans just supposed to accept something the Brand owners say? Without a valid and logical point to make it so?

Are we just supposed to accept that the characters don't even seem the same? What happened to Ratchet? Why is he suddenly so moody and hating on humans? Why would Bumblebee just suddenly (again) have a voice problem when if this is based off of WFC he was perfectly fine there. Why would he change his face design as well? Were are the rest of Primes crew from WFC? Where is Jazz? Why would Arcee be a car sized robot who transformed into a pink cybertronian car now suddenly a bike sized robot who transforms into a earth bike? Are we just accepting now that the "bots" can change their sizes to become whatever vehicle they want?

This doesn't even begin to cover half of it. What about the Dark Energon? What about Omega Supreme? Why would Soundwave go from an obvious G1 influence to... whatever he is now?

All this makes no sense.... It really doesn't. This isn't simply a few holes here and there... this is one huge uncorrelated series of events.

I am sorry but I am just not going to accept the words of some "Suit" just because they say so. So until the "Show" itself states it is all the same or they somehow explain everything I'm just going to take the show (prime) as it's own universe/reality. The game (WFC) as it's own as well.

This is just ridiculous they think they can just say what they want and we will believe anything they say cause they have the final word. If they want it all to be the same then they should make an effort to have it all make sense. Not just (clearly) have different ideas and different people working on them and then just throw them all together and expect us to just accept it. I mean what the hell?

Are we ALSO supposed to believe that the 3rd movie is taking place in the same continuity too? Come on...
H Falcon

Postby Sabrblade » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:27 pm

H Falcon wrote:This really makes no sense.
Welcome to the Transformers. :lol:

H Falcon wrote:TFP should be it's own thing. Just like Animated before it. The WFC game is great and was like a re-launch. But it was very clear it was heavily G1 inspired/based. It was even assumed that it was pre-G1 and that they might end up being the very "bots" that ended up crashed on Earth for G1.
Except that WFC already has its own contradictions with G1, so it doesn't exactly fit with that either.

H Falcon wrote:Now we are being told that Prime is related to and takes place after the WFC game? Uh... no.
"No" is exactly right. We are not "now" being told this. We've known this for months now. ;)

H Falcon wrote:Why are fans just supposed to accept something the Brand owners say? Without a valid and logical point to make it so?
Word of God?

H Falcon wrote:Are we just supposed to accept that the characters don't even seem the same? What happened to Ratchet? Why is he suddenly so moody and hating on humans?
Wouldn't you get upset if you were trapped in some weird place far away from home for several years too?

H Falcon wrote:Why would Bumblebee just suddenly (again) have a voice problem when if this is based off of WFC he was perfectly fine there.
Don't forget, Exodus is in this too. And in that book, BB's voice was busted as well.

H Falcon wrote:Why would he change his face design as well?
Artistic liberties? The same thing happens in comics books when artists are changed around.

H Falcon wrote:Were are the rest of Primes crew from WFC? Where is Jazz?
Don't forget that Optimus said that his team of five were the last Autobots remaining on Earth. The rest could have either been destroyed or left Earth to go fight in the war on other worlds, as we also were told that the war shifted to other worlds after Cybertron.

H Falcon wrote:Why would Arcee be a car sized robot who transformed into a pink cybertronian car now suddenly a bike sized robot who transforms into a earth bike? Are we just accepting now that the "bots" can change their sizes to become whatever vehicle they want?
As if such bodily changes are anything new. :roll:

H Falcon wrote:This doesn't even begin to cover half of it. What about the Dark Energon?
What? It's in all three mediums.

H Falcon wrote:Why would Soundwave go from an obvious G1 influence to... whatever he is now?
Again, body changes aren't anything new.

H Falcon wrote:All this makes no sense.... It really doesn't. This isn't simply a few holes here and there... this is one huge uncorrelated series of events.
Just like the G1 cartoon. :mrgreen:

H Falcon wrote:I am sorry but I am just not going to accept the words of some "Suit" just because they say so. So until the "Show" itself states it is all the same or they somehow explain everything I'm just going to take the show (prime) as it's own universe/reality. The game (WFC) as it's own as well.
That's what fanon is for.

H Falcon wrote:Are we ALSO supposed to believe that the 3rd movie is taking place in the same continuity too? Come on...
Of course not! The movies have nothing to do with this series.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby H Falcon » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:58 pm

H Falcon wrote:This really makes no sense.
Welcome to the Transformers. :lol:

Heh... yeah... :roll:

H Falcon wrote:TFP should be it's own thing. Just like Animated before it. The WFC game is great and was like a re-launch. But it was very clear it was heavily G1 inspired/based. It was even assumed that it was pre-G1 and that they might end up being the very "bots" that ended up crashed on Earth for G1.
Except that WFC already has its own contradictions with G1, so it doesn't exactly fit with that either.

Yeah I know it did. I was just saying it was obviously heavily inspired and suggested to be similar or related. (Bumblebee's face, Omega Supreme, etc)

H Falcon wrote:Now we are being told that Prime is related to and takes place after the WFC game? Uh... no.
"No" is exactly right. We are not "now" being told this. We've known this for months now. ;)

:|

H Falcon wrote:Why are fans just supposed to accept something the Brand owners say? Without a valid and logical point to make it so?

H Falcon wrote:Are we just supposed to accept that the characters don't even seem the same? What happened to Ratchet? Why is he suddenly so moody and hating on humans?
Wouldn't you get upset if you were trapped in some weird place far away from home for several years too?

I get what you are saying. But I hope you see what I am saying as well. It is just too much of a change. It is obvious when they wrote this it wasn't tied to it. Hell he seems closer to Animated Gruff Ratchet then WFC Ratchet... Oh well... I keep half expecting to see Worf jump down from the shadows and snap Ratchets neck just like nothing... :lol:

H Falcon wrote:Why would Bumblebee just suddenly (again) have a voice problem when if this is based off of WFC he was perfectly fine there.
Don't forget, Exodus is in this too. And in that book, BB's voice was busted as well.

Haven't read or seen the book. (yet)

H Falcon wrote:Why would he change his face design as well?
Artistic liberties? The same thing happens in comics books when artists are changed around.

Yes but artistic liberties can only go so far. It's obvious not just another "Artist's" take on it. It is meant to be a whole new design.

H Falcon wrote:Were are the rest of Primes crew from WFC? Where is Jazz?
Don't forget that Optimus said that his team of five were the last Autobots remaining on Earth. The rest could have either been destroyed or left Earth to go fight in the war on other worlds, as we also were told that the war shifted to other worlds after Cybertron.

Yes True.

H Falcon wrote:Why would Arcee be a car sized robot who transformed into a pink cybertronian car now suddenly a bike sized robot who transforms into a earth bike? Are we just accepting now that the "bots" can change their sizes to become whatever vehicle they want?
As if such bodily changes are anything new. :roll:

That isn't exactly what I meant. It was just a way to explain a part of what I am trying to explain. They just don't seem like the same bots. In all seriousness do they seem like the same characters to you?

H Falcon wrote:This doesn't even begin to cover half of it. What about the Dark Energon?
What? It's in all three mediums.

Yes. But I mean the things like how Megatron already used it previously and now it's like the first time again and the things it does. It's just to inconsistent...

H Falcon wrote:Why would Soundwave go from an obvious G1 influence to... whatever he is now?
Again, body changes aren't anything new.

H Falcon wrote:All this makes no sense.... It really doesn't. This isn't simply a few holes here and there... this is one huge uncorrelated series of events.
Just like the G1 cartoon. :mrgreen:

Yeah but at least that was usually all similar. Sure there was enough plot holes to sink a fleet of ships... but the characters. They relatively stayed the same. It wasn't like "oh yeah this guy that doesn't act anything like the guy with the same name before... is the same guy" :roll:

H Falcon wrote:I am sorry but I am just not going to accept the words of some "Suit" just because they say so. So until the "Show" itself states it is all the same or they somehow explain everything I'm just going to take the show (prime) as it's own universe/reality. The game (WFC) as it's own as well.
That's what fanon is for.

Huh? Not Familiar with that term. What do you mean?

H Falcon wrote:Are we ALSO supposed to believe that the 3rd movie is taking place in the same continuity too? Come on...
Of course not! The movies have nothing to do with this series.

Ahh.. but if you want to take the word of the "Suits" technically they said everything from here on forward is the same continuity no? If they did indeed say that... the 3rd movie is "coming" out... so... yeah... ;)
H Falcon

Postby Sabrblade » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:17 pm

H Falcon wrote:Yeah I know it did. I was just saying it was obviously heavily inspired and suggested to be similar or related. (Bumblebee's face, Omega Supreme, etc)
G1 homages are common.

H Falcon wrote:Yes but artistic liberties can only go so far. It's obvious not just another "Artist's" take on it. It is meant to be a whole new design.
To Hasbro, Bumblebee is Bumblebee, regardless of looks. :roll:

H Falcon wrote:That isn't exactly what I meant. It was just a way to explain a part of what I am trying to explain. They just don't seem like the same bots. In all seriousness do they seem like the same characters to you?
  • Optimus - yes
  • Bumblebee - hard to say, as he wasn't given enough focus for us to really explore his character yet
  • Arcee - she wasn't in the WFC main story mode, so I dunno for sure
  • Ratchet - he could have grown into his gruffness, as he seems older in Prime than in WFC/Exodus
  • Cliffjumper - he wasn't in the 360/PS3/PC game (only the DS game, which I haven't played/experienced), so I dunno yet
  • Megatron - I can sorta see his WFC/Exodus persona still in him somewhat
  • Starscream - he's still kinda similar
  • Soundwave - like BB, he's not explored enough yet to tell
  • Breakdown - the only one who seems thoroughly different. What did they do to him?

H Falcon wrote:Huh? Not Familiar with that term. What do you mean?
Fanon = "fan canon"

H Falcon wrote:Ahh.. but if you want to take the word of the "Suits" technically they said everything from here on forward is the same continuity no? If they did indeed say that... the 3rd movie is "coming" out... so... yeah... ;)
They mean everything except the movies, that's a different case. Hasbro's personally handing Prime, not the films (which is most likely why ROTF was a mess :roll: ).

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Agent X » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:19 pm

just to remind everyone that we have no idea (at this time) of how much time has passed between WFC and Prime

and it is in this "dead" time body changes, deaths, memory wipes, etc. can occure
Immaturity is shown by not trying to understand others, but by judging others.
Agent X

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:39 pm

Agent X wrote:just to remind everyone that we have no idea (at this time) of how much time has passed between WFC and Prime

and it is in this "dead" time body changes, deaths, memory wipes, etc. can occure
Yes. But whether or not this intermediate time will be explored remains to be seen.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Mechabreaker » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:47 am

Pretty much the only way this could make sense at this point is if they mean the same continuity family, as in they're unrelated, story-wise, but still under the same name.

Like, for example, the G1 cartoon and the G1 comics. They didn't flow together at all in their stories, but they were still both G1.
Mechabreaker

Next

Return to News & Rumors