Page 1 of 1

DOTM resin mold prototypes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:44 pm
by perceptor
Here are the images originally hosted by dotmtoys.com before their bandwidth limits were exceeded.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: DOTM resin mold prototypes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:34 pm
by Wing Saber
Look like Insecticons to me

Re: DOTM resin mold prototypes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:39 pm
by perceptor
Looks like total sweetness to me.

Why is it that photos of resin prototypes look so spectacular? I remember when Hasbro was showing off images of the resin mold of the first movie voyager Ratchet. Something about it made it look absolutely stunning. Somehow even cooler than the full-color final product. I don't get it.

Re: DOTM resin mold prototypes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:04 am
by Wing Saber
perceptor wrote: I remember when Hasbro was showing off images of the resin mold of the first movie voyager Ratchet. Something about it made it look absolutely stunning. Somehow even cooler than the full-color final product. I don't get it.

Well I never saw that because I wasn't a member of this site at that time. I joined this site when the first look of Transformers Prime Bumblebee came out

Re: DOTM resin mold prototypes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:14 am
by Sabrblade
Moved to the News Forum, as this is definitely newsworthy.
perceptor wrote:Why is it that photos of resin prototypes look so spectacular? I remember when Hasbro was showing off images of the resin mold of the first movie voyager Ratchet. Something about it made it look absolutely stunning. Somehow even cooler than the full-color final product. I don't get it.
This might be just me, but I think there may be something about resin prototypes that look a little more "pristine" or "fresh" when compared to the final product. Almost as if a new form of life has just been born, completely pure and untainted by the natural world.

It's basically a deep form of purity in pre-toy form. :oops:

Re: DOTM resin mold prototypes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:03 am
by perceptor
Wing Saber wrote:...I joined this site when the first look of Transformers Prime Bumblebee came out


Welcome onboard Wing Saber!

Re: DOTM resin mold prototypes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:10 am
by perceptor
Sabrblade wrote:This might be just me, but I think there may be something about resin prototypes that look a little more "pristine" or "fresh" when compared to the final product. Almost as if a new form of life has just been born, completely pure and untainted by the natural world.

It's basically a deep form of purity in pre-toy form. :oops:


Yeah, that's about right. Brother Brian (who works in injected molded plastics for a living) says that the reason those resin prototypes look so sharp is that all of their angles/edges come to sharp, points. Injection molded parts will have a more rounded look bec the tools (drill bits) they use to produce the molds can only get so small. They need to be thick enough, so that they can still cut the steel or aluminum (whatever their mold is made out of) so that it won't break. Thus, they'll have more rounded edges. Interesting.

However you slice it, that toy looks great!

Re: DOTM resin mold prototypes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:40 pm
by Wing Saber
perceptor wrote:Welcome onboard Wing Saber!

Thank you!
perceptor wrote:However you slice it, that toy looks great!

Personally, I don't like the smaller car's robot form. It's just to creepy and weird looking for me. Like I would be afraid it would come to life in the middle of the night and try to kill me