Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Unicron.com Interviews TF Exodus Author, Alex Irvine

Want to join the Unicron.com news team? Just want to help out? If you find some Transformers news or rumors out there that you'd like to see up on Unicron.com, post them in here. Please credit/link to an original source, even if you found it on another Transformers site. We might just move your post to the Front Page News forum!

Re: Unicron.com Interviews TF Exodus Author, Alex Irvine

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:45 am

Great interview.

Comments:
unicron.com: Yeah, Minicons are cool, no doubt. And they're referenced all over in TF-lore. I don't remember Rumble, Frenzy, Laserbeak... eving being called "Mini-cons" but what do I know?!
This is because they were never called "Minicons" until the Exodus novel. This is the first time Soundwave's minions are referred to as "Minicons" (which itself is a misspelling of the correct spelling of "Mini-Con").

unicron.com: ... "The Hub" as one of the other planets colonized by Transformers! And you say I'm a "smooth talker" ...Look at you writing that in! HA!
Have you forgotten about the Hub from Transformers: Generation 2? That's where this name comes from, not the TV channel.

unicron.com: Myself, I envision them as their video game selves, sort of a combination of the G1/Bay looks.
Good man, because their WFC bodies are exactly what they look like in the Exodus novel.

unicron.com: How about this idea to send the Transformers fandom into a crazed frenzy: How bout you have Shockwave do some "spark splitting experiment" on the Darkened Megatron. Then one of the Megatrons can go chase the Allspark and crash land in the arctic. The other half of Megatron can crash land on Earth on board the Ark with the other Autobots and Decepticons. There, now they're both the "real" Megatron!
I grin at this not because not because of the chaos you claim would ensue, but because of the fact that no chaos (or at least, very little chaos) would ensue. If the Megatron from Exodus were to be cloned into two Megatrons like you say, it wouldn't have any effect on the established canons of G1 or the Movies because the official standpoint is that the Megatron from the Exodus novel in the Megatron from the Prime cartoon and neither that of G1 or the movies.

The multiverse deal is canon. Official factual canon. There are multiple Megatrons throughout it, each residing in their own worlds in their own universes. G1 Megs, Movie Megs, and WFC/Exodus/Prime Megs are all separate individuals from each other, divided by lightyears of distances between entire clusters of universes. If Exodus Megatron were to be cloned as you say, then there would simply be two Megatrons in the Exodus reality. Simple as that. Neither would "become" G1 Megatron or Movie Megatron, because those two have have their own backstories and histories within their own respective worlds.

No one can blend fanon ideas into canon information and claim to be more factual than official fact. Fanon is simply (no matter how well it does or doesn't work) not canon.

Oh yeah! That's someting I wanted to ask you. Another obvious connection that could have been made was instead of calling them Code Key of Justic/honor, why not call them "Cyber Planet Keys!"
Because they *aren't* Cyber Planet Keys. and even if they were called that, they wouldn't be the same thing as those from the Cybertron cartoon. The two Code Keys have no connection to Primus, and instead are used to open up Teletraan-1 (another misspell; correct: "Teletraan I").

BTW, it's "Key of Justice" and "Key of Power" (not "honor"). :roll:

Also, have you not yet played/experienced the video game yet?

unicron.com: Oh, BTW, we should mention, you work on IDW comics! Has there ever been any conversation about making a comic adaptation of Exodus? On the one hand it'd be awesome to get this story in the hands of more fans. On the other, I'm not sure any artist (as good as many of them are) can top my imagination of how I personally envision the characters in these pages...Alright, it's a deal.
Irvine: I'd like to do TF comics for sure. I've talked a bit with IDW about this, and there was a one-shot I wrote included with the War for Cybertron game in some places. The future, as they say, is developing...
*whistles*

I own this comic and it's basically a condensed retelling of chapters 12-15.

Also, stay tuned for my own Exodus-related project in the coming future. ;)
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby perceptor » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:21 pm

>>Have you forgotten about the Hub from Transformers: Generation 2? That's where this name comes from, not the TV channel.
No, I certainly hadn't forgotten it. But it's not exactly the most prominent other-world listed in Transformers mythology. He could've talked about Lithone, Jungle Planet, Nebulos... I just thought that it was funny he chose the HUB as one of the major worlds where Transformers had colonized... Fitting w/ the TV channel and all...

>>Good man, because their WFC bodies are exactly what they look like in the Exodus novel.
That is subject to your interpretation. According to Irvine, he stayed deliberately vague because he wanted the subject of esthetics open to the reader's interpretation.

As for a War for Cybertron Comic... holy crap. <sheephish!> Somehow, that completely slipped under my radar! When in the world did that come out? (And more importantly how did I miss it?!) Is Alex Irvine credited as the comic writer? He should be, some of those lines I see there look like near direct quotes from the book. Oh and what's this about it being a retelling of chapters 12-15 only? What about the amazing chapters 1-11, 16 and beyond? ... Hmmmm, I'm not sure I'd want to read this, for all the reasons above. Sometimes, it actually is better off to leave some details to the reader's imagination...
Perceptor's thirst for knowledge is unquenchable. He will seek it to the exclusion of all else.<br>
perceptor
Site Admin

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:44 pm

perceptor wrote:As for a War for Cybertron Comic... holy crap. <sheephish!> Somehow, that completely slipped under my radar! When in the world did that come out? (And more importantly how did I miss it?!)
It was a limited exclusive to those to purchased the game from Kmart or Sears.

It was also made available at San Diego Comic-Con 2010.

I missed out on both opportunities, but was fortunate enough to find a copy available for purchase at some online store (my copy is of the of the Comic-Con version and includes a protective plastic cover sheet). It's a good read if you want a visual representation of some of the characters and places in the Exodus novel.

perceptor wrote:Is Alex Irvine credited as the comic writer? He should be, some of those lines I see there look like near direct quotes from the book.
Yes he is. And Don Figueroa did the art.

perceptor wrote:Oh and what's this about it being a retelling of chapters 12-15 only? What about the amazing chapters 1-11, 16 and beyond? ... Hmmmm, I'm not sure I'd want to read this, for all the reasons I state. Sometimes, it actually is better off to leave some details to the reader's imagination...
It was a one-shot, single-issue comic that served as a prequel to the video game (which it doesn't quite succeed at, due to the extreme differences in plot between the game and the book). It adapts only chapters 12-15 (with some info from earlier chapters, like the terrorist attacks) to show how Orion Pax was to become Optimus Prime and how Megatron turned to the dark side.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Return to News & Rumors