Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Announcing all-new Reviews & Sightings section

This forum is the news engine for Unicron.com. All of the topics in this forum will also show up on the main page as news posts. Registered Users can reply to topics, but not create new ones. If you are looking to help us out with a News Tip, please check out the sub-forum "News Tips & Rumors."

Announcing all-new Reviews & Sightings section

Postby blukis » Mon May 09, 2011 9:14 am

Our all-new Transformers Reviews & Sightings area has been completely remade, from the ground up. It's been months in the making and it's finally live today! We wanted it live in time for the new waves of DOTM toys (due 5/16), already starting to be found! Everything is still there from our original reviews & sightings sections, but with even more exciting new features (and there's more to come):

New features:

- At-a-glance graphs of sighting frequency over time for each item (sparklines).
- Similar "sparkline" graphs for review ratings (1-10).
- Moderation can now be done by anyone. (Sort of like Wikipedia - you don't have to wait for a moderator.)
- Now you can make reviews or sightings on *anything in the universe*.

That last one not only makes things easier for admins (You don't have to wait for an administrator to put up a new toy before you can sight it.), but it also opens a new world for reviews: What else might we make reviews (or sightings) for? New (or old) Transformers comics? TF Prime episodes? Convention exclusives? Japan or Europe-only products? The sky is the limit. (Actually, why stop there?)

And there's more to come!

The next feature we're planning on making is a comment system. Sometimes reviews can get cluttered with reviews that are really responses to other reviews. This would allow us to comment right on people's reviews without adding clutter.

What other new features would be high on your list to add next? Any comments or suggestions - we'd love to hear them. Let us know by replying on this news announcement.

One last update. We recently found (and fixed) a bug in our gallery system in our "year" pages, where the thumbnail image links weren't expanding into full-sized images. If you've encountered this bug recently, it's fixed now. It's a good time to stop by and explore our old classics (1984) or new & upcoming (2011) sections again, as they were designed to be viewed.
Unicron.com - Brian L - Image / tw / fb
blukis
Site Admin

Re: Announcing all-new Reviews & Sightings section

Postby Sabrblade » Mon May 09, 2011 9:47 am

Awesome! 8-)

blukis wrote:What other new features would be high on your list to add next? Any comments or suggestions - we'd love to hear them. Let us know by replying on this news announcement.
Perhaps the ability to go back and edit existing reviews that we have written would be nice. Opinions change over time, and typos would be able to be fixed, and such. ;)
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby perceptor » Mon May 09, 2011 10:37 am

I love it. So much cleaner, and sleeker, and easier to navigate.

With literally hundreds of new Transformers toys coming out every year since the live films started coming out, it was getting so unwieldy to navigate, find a particular toy and make a sighting/review. This is a grand step of development. Nice work Brian!

I now want to start a rally to our site visitors. The key feature I want (and is in the works) is getting a toy's box picture on the top of every page's sighting/review item. Such that all site visitors can add pictures, as well as administrators.

Please express to Brian how cool this feature would/will be and that this should be the top priority, next step of development! We need some toy picture graphics to go along w/ all this new functionality!!!
Perceptor's thirst for knowledge is unquenchable. He will seek it to the exclusion of all else.<br>
perceptor
Site Admin

Postby blukis » Mon May 09, 2011 10:48 am

Sabrblade: I believe reviews that you created are editable. Since the site does not require sign-ins, it knows who you are by a browser cookie. (So if you switch browsers, clear cookies, etc., it will lose track of the connection and not allow editing anymore.) If this isn't working for anyone, let me know.

Perceptor: ha. User submitted image uploading is on the list somewhere, but I'm not sure where to prioritize it yet. I'm planning on the comment system first, at least. Maybe that will be next? (I thought being able to upload pictures for sightings could be cool too.)
Unicron.com - Brian L - Image / tw / fb
blukis
Site Admin

Postby perceptor » Mon May 09, 2011 11:02 am

blukis wrote:Perceptor: ha. User submitted image uploading is on the list somewhere, but I'm not sure where to prioritize it yet. I'm planning on the comment system first, at least. Maybe that will be next? (I thought being able to upload pictures for sightings could be cool too.)

pictures, pictures, more pictures! When I'm at my local TRU, Target... and I spot something others haven't, I want to take a picture with my iPhone, and submit it w/ the sighting! :) ---As well as having a polished box pic at the top of sightings/review item. :) You know me, I like to dream big!

What do you think people??? Does having a photo of the toy (in package or not) enhance your organization, or make you more willing to contribute sightings or write a toy review???
Perceptor's thirst for knowledge is unquenchable. He will seek it to the exclusion of all else.<br>
perceptor
Site Admin

Postby perceptor » Tue May 10, 2011 3:58 pm

Awe, c'mon! Among visitors who have submitted the literally thousands of toy sightings and reviews for this site, is there no one willing to weigh in on this topic besides us site administrators?! :?

Also, for those of you who have never written a toy review or submitted a sighting, does this upgrade make you more willing to contribute? Is there anything we could do to improve the chances? Functionality, organization... :?: :?: :?: We're hoping to hear your thoughts!
perceptor
Site Admin

Postby darbble » Thu May 12, 2011 10:29 am

perceptor wrote:
blukis wrote:Perceptor: ha. User submitted image uploading is on the list somewhere, but I'm not sure where to prioritize it yet. I'm planning on the comment system first, at least. Maybe that will be next? (I thought being able to upload pictures for sightings could be cool too.)

pictures, pictures, more pictures! When I'm at my local TRU, Target... and I spot something others haven't, I want to take a picture with my iPhone, and submit it w/ the sighting! :) ---As well as having a polished box pic at the top of sightings/review item. :) You know me, I like to dream big!

What do you think people??? Does having a photo of the toy (in package or not) enhance your organization, or make you more willing to contribute sightings or write a toy review???

I like the idea of having pictures, as well as links to that toy's page (in the reviews that I've seen, I haven't seen that option).

I've been excited about joining in on the reviews and sitings. My main hang-up is figuring it out. I need to jump in with both feet and see what I can do to contribute. I'm sure once I get in there, it will become easy to figure out what I'm doing.
darbble

Postby darbble » Thu May 12, 2011 10:33 am

Ok... I just spent 2 minutes in there. I have it figured out. Very nice, guys!

Can't wait to get some sightings and reviews up!
darbble

Postby einhazard » Tue May 17, 2011 10:00 pm

I've always loved reviewing TF's on this site. I'd like the reviews to allow a little more space, but understanding the amount of space even just a few more characters on every review would take up... well, it just makes sense to keep things short.
But I don't have to do that here, and I do have a few questions;
1) Are you allowing reviews for sets from fan companies like FansProject and Perfect Effect? They seem readily accepted by the community, but I wanted to make sure before I made the review board 'impure' with non-Hasbro stuff. (That, and DIA Commander is begging me to review him!)
2) I've noticed that a lot of the reviews have an italic tag after them (ie 'in Movie DOTM' ). I've looked around for how to add this, but I'm not seeing a way. Is this something only admins can do? I want to make sure I'm adding entries correctly, and a how-to for this tagging system would be great.
3) Can we adjust the open search to search by year or line? I always liked just going down the list of things that were out and seeing which ones people recommended. While the open format is great, I do miss that.

Other than that, keep up the good work on my favorite TF site on the web!
There is nothing better in this life or any other than cars that turn into robots.
einhazard

Return to Transformers News