Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Beast Hunters interview w/ Jeff Kline - New cartoon coming

This forum is the news engine for Unicron.com. All of the topics in this forum will also show up on the main page as news posts. Registered Users can reply to topics, but not create new ones. If you are looking to help us out with a News Tip, please check out the sub-forum "News Tips & Rumors."

Beast Hunters interview w/ Jeff Kline - New cartoon coming

Postby Sabrblade » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:57 pm

Los Angeles Times has posted an interview with Transformers: Prime producer Jeff Kline regarding the third of the cartoon, Beast Hunters. Jeff gives some details about how fans should feel very satisfied by how this show will reach its conclusion, as well as some behind-the-scenes information on the show. But of important notice is that Jeff confirms the existence of the next Transformers cartoon to come after Prime. Through the space bridge for the info.

Optimus has been damaged, alliances are shifting and the Autobots have been defeated as the final season of the Hub’s “Transformers Prime” kicks off March 22. The series even stretches its name out in the third season, adding “Beast Hunters” to the title, signifying a new “creative direction.”

“The ‘Beast Hunters’ [title] plays to the toy line as well,” said the series’ producer Jeff Kline. “It’s also just a little bit of reminding people that we’re always doing something different.”

Something different is apparently on the agenda for this last season. For Kline and the other producers, including Duane Capizzi (“The Batman,” “Superman: Doomsday”) and “Star Trek” stewards Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci (who also guided “Fringe” and wrote the “Transformers” movie franchise), the Emmy-award winning show began as a different way to tell the story of an age-long battle between good (Autobots) and bad (Decepticons) robots from a far-away world that has spilled over onto Earth.

“We wanted to create a show where you could get into it if you were just coming in in the beginning, but if it was your 10th iteration, it wouldn’t feel like the same thing,” said Kline. “We also didn’t want to start all over ’cause there was 20 years of history… There are great fans [of 'Transformers']; they are legion and vocal.”

Judging from the trailer above, those fans will get a scrappy bunch of Autobots fighting at their usual disadvantage against overwhelming odds and a new foe: the Predacons. There will be new allies as well, some familiar to longtime fans, but those remain secret. The good guys will need them, too, since many of their own have fallen, and the producers have shown a willingness to thin the ranks.

“We kick it off in the first episode [of the series, three seasons ago] with killing off one of the original Autobots when we kill off Cliffjumper,” Kline said. “And we kill him off in a way that no one will be able to bring him back, as opposed to some animation where characters seem to pop back in even though they’ve been destroyed.”

Cliffjumper, Optimus, Megatron, Starscream, Bumblebee and more are relics of the popular ’80s era ‘bots that older toy collectors and cartoon watchers might recognize. Also recognizable may be the voices of some characters, with original cast members Peter Cullen (Optimus Prime) and Frank Welker (Megatron) chief among them.

“For those who grew up on the series, that pairing is the place to start,” said Kline. “We record our show radio-play style so the actors can play off of each other. [Cullen and Welker] were so happy to be together that that happiness washed over the rest of the cast.”

Kline realized the importance of appeasing the old guard of “Transformers” fans.

“In the modern day, that G1 [first-generation show] exists whenever you want it,” he said. “It might’ve been different 30 years ago when you had to stumble upon it on TV or trade grainy tapes with a collector in Japan. I think to redo that is a mistake … We’re constantly trying to honor G1 and the other shows in the ‘Transformers’ mythology, but we’re just not trying to duplicate it.”

Kline said the creative team is working on a new “Transformers” show that could go into production soon, but he was reluctant to reveal too many details. As for “Transformers Prime,” he believes viewers ultimately will feel as though the saga has reached an appropriate conclusion.

“I believe that at the end of episode 313, you will feel like this particular tale in the ‘Transformers’ mythology has been told,” Kline said. “Hopefully there will be some surprises, but you will be satisfied.”
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Re: Beast Hunters interview w/ Jeff Kline - New cartoon comi

Postby Wing Saber » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:35 pm

YES! FINALLY! NEW AUTOBOTS CONFIRMED. Other than Smokescreen, we have had NO new Autobots since the very beginning, when Wheeljack was introduced, and he rarely shows up.

As much as I like Prime, I'm excited to hear about this new show.
Fun fact, this will be the first time I'll be on this site for the announcement of a new show. Prime was already known when I joined this site. The News article 'Prime Bumblebee revealed' was what drew me to join the site.
Wing Saber

Postby Agent X » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:07 pm

"new allies as well, some familiar to longtime fans"

maybe the Dinobots
Immaturity is shown by not trying to understand others, but by judging others.
Agent X

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:50 pm

Agent X wrote:"new allies as well, some familiar to longtime fans"

maybe the Dinobots
Nah. They never made off Cybertron. They chose to stay behind and let Ultra Magnus go to join up with Optimus.

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Wing Saber » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:12 pm

Sabrblade wrote:
Agent X wrote:"new allies as well, some familiar to longtime fans"

maybe the Dinobots
Nah. They never made off Cybertron. They chose to stay behind and let Ultra Magnus go to join up with Optimus.

Granted it could be someone else, Greg Berger (voice of the original Grimlock) has been confirmed to voice someone.
Wing Saber

Postby perceptor » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:13 pm

Ultra Magnus? They're already planning a half a dozen toys of the guy. I hope he makes it into the show. But yeah, it's the Dinobots I really want to see too! ;)
Perceptor's thirst for knowledge is unquenchable. He will seek it to the exclusion of all else.<br>
perceptor
Site Admin

Postby Unicron fan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:24 am

I doubt Optimus will die. After all, didn't the makers of this series said that all characters that died, would not be brought back to life?
Unicron fan

Postby ironrod prime » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:08 pm

Unicron fan wrote:I doubt Optimus will die. After all, didn't the makers of this series said that all characters that died, would not be brought back to life?

I actually have a theory I wanna toss in the hat about this based on a preview I saw.

In the preview we see I decrepit looking optimus looking up at smokescreen and saying that there will be a new prime.

Now my theory is that the new prime isn't optimus but it's actually a reformatted smokescreen.

Now hear me out for a sec smokescreen becoming a prime actually would make sense.

He boasted about becoming a prime throughout the end of season 2

His character reflects that of g1 hotrod

It explains why the voyager doesn't have a face plate

Well it's just a theory
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:35 pm

ironrod prime wrote:It explains why the voyager doesn't have a face plate
Except that that toy is still called "Optimus Prime". abnd all other Prime BH Optimus Prime toys have the same body as the Voyager, as well as faceplates.

As for whether or not Smokescreen would become the next Prime, maybe, maybe not. Though, the editing in that video did look rather sneaky, as though they'd want us to think exactly that. It might be a red herring.

Maybe Optimus makes Ultra Magnus the new Prime temporarily like how he did with Jack, giving Magnus the ability to wield the Forge and go all Fix-It Felix on Optimus, banging him with the hammer to rebuilt him into his BH body. ;)

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Wing Saber » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:17 am

Sabrblade wrote:Maybe Optimus makes Ultra Magnus the new Prime temporarily like how he did with Jack

I hope not.
Sabrblade wrote:go all Fix-It Felix on Optimus, banging him with the hammer to rebuilt him into his BH body. ;)

Oh please no. That would be terrible. The cheap way out.
Wing Saber

Next

Return to Transformers News