Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Unicron.com's all new news!

This forum is the news engine for Unicron.com. All of the topics in this forum will also show up on the main page as news posts. Registered Users can reply to topics, but not create new ones. If you are looking to help us out with a News Tip, please check out the sub-forum "News Tips & Rumors."

Unicron.com's all new news!

Postby Obsidian » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:11 am

It's the Age of Aquarius here at Unicron.com! In the past few months we have been rolling out one by one, some major site upgrades we have had in the works for quite some time!

To recap, back around Thanksgiving, we rolled out out biggest site upgrade, completely revamping the Unicron.com site architechure, allowing for more dynamic and engaging character page designs, by year sections, an all new main page, and more; last week we rolled out our totally redesigned variable width forum, and today we flipped the switch on the all new news engine!

While this next site upgrade doesn't greatly effect the average user, we're pretty excited about it non-the-less. Today we have officially retired our old news engine, so that now news and particularly all news commenting will be handled exclusively through the forum! Now all news posters can easily attach images, embed youtube videos, include more advanced layouts, spoiler tags, and more! This update will also facilitate even more lively conversation, discussion, comments, and wisecracks in the Unicron.com forum, so join in, we'd love to hear from you!
-Obsidian
(Unicron.com)
Obsidian
Site Admin

Re: Unicron.com's all new news!

Postby mightwork » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:29 am

Compared to how the site was when I started visiting it, it's become so much better! Well done!
mightwork

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:56 am

Ya'll know how I feel about this awesome upgrade. ;)

Some notices:
  • On the main page, clicking the "comments" link at the bottom of each news item goes directly to each news item's forum page. However, clicking the title of each news item opens their forum page in a new window. :?:
  • The YouTube tags aren't working (yet). :?
  • The spoiler tags work perfectly good as gold. :D
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby perceptor » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:29 pm

Hurrah!
Perceptor's thirst for knowledge is unquenchable. He will seek it to the exclusion of all else.<br>
perceptor
Site Admin

Postby blukis » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:37 pm

That opens-in-a-new-window thing wasn't intentional. Fixed.
Unicron.com - Brian L - Image / tw / fb
blukis
Site Admin

Postby perceptor » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:22 pm

J: What does Aquarius have to do with anything? (Sorry I'm not up on my horror-scopes!)

B: Love the new Stampy image. I have a question for you. In a knock-m-out, fight-to-the-finish death-match between Stampy (the cutey-wootey fluffy wittl' Autobot bunny) and ROTF Wheelie, who would be the last bot standing? As an expert on all things Stampy, I figured you would know.

(My money is on the excessively-cussing, pervert-bot.)
Perceptor's thirst for knowledge is unquenchable. He will seek it to the exclusion of all else.<br>
perceptor
Site Admin

Postby Obsidian » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:30 pm

An Update/Clarification on a few things:

1) YouTube tags are working just fine. See proof of concept below ~:^) Enjoy.

If you hover over the "Youtube-id" button it will say to put only the video's id in between the tags. It's what comes after the "=" sign in the youtube link. The reason that I designed it like this is so that other full URLs can not be pasted into these tags. It's a security concern really.

2) Also Spoiler tags are working too!

3) The only problem is that neither of them can be used in the first post of a news thread because, while they look great in the forum, they don't display properly when they get syndicated to the main page. So for now they can be used anywhere in the forum except for the news posts. We're working on a solution to that, but seeing as I had them working quite a while ago, I decided that I didn't want to hold them back from the rest of you. I hope you like the added functionality.
-Obsidian
(Unicron.com)
Obsidian
Site Admin

Postby blukis » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:35 pm

All I know about Stampy is he turns into a bunny. Well, that and the content of the review mid-way down this post:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=602&start=40

Well, that and that he's invincible, and can teleport.
Unicron.com - Brian L - Image / tw / fb
blukis
Site Admin

Postby Mechabreaker » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:41 am

Fantastic upgrade. Great work, guys.
Mechabreaker

Postby Obsidian » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:16 pm

perceptor wrote:J: What does Aquarius have to do with anything? (Sorry I'm not up on my horror-scopes!)

Mostly, I had that song stuck in my head when I wrote the post and I thought it would be a catchy intro line :mrgreen: But, anticipating a question like that, I decided to double check on what the Age of Aquarius really means. Tuning to the all knowing Wikipedia, I discovered that the song from the opening of "Hair" circa 1967 is actually a bunch of "astrological gibberish."

This is the dawning of the Age of Aquarius... When the Moon is in the seventh house, and Jupiter aligns with Mars; then peace will guide the planets, and love will steer the stars.

They might as well be singing:

When the moon hits your eye like a big-a-pizza pie...

So, digging a little further, I found that there really isn't a thorough consensus regarding what or even when the Age of Aquarius actually is. All of that said I did read the following line on wikipedia that convinced me that my starting the post by stating that "It's the Age of Aquarius here at Unicron.com" would be a good idea. So, with no further adieu...

Aquarius traditionally "rules" electricity, computers, flight, democracy, freedom, humanitarianism, idealists, modernization...

It seemed a good enough reason as any to keep my catchy and/or perhaps kitschy intro in: Electricity, computers, democracy, freedom, idealism, modernization... rock on to that.
-Obsidian
(Unicron.com)
Obsidian
Site Admin

Return to Transformers News