Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Optimus 20th Anniversary Figure Question

If its about Transformers, the toys, it's fair game.

Optimus 20th Anniversary Figure Question

Postby Uzicron » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:00 pm

So I just registered because I've been looking around on the net and had to ask this question about my Optimus Prime 20th Anniversary Figure.

I got him quite a while back and was curious if any more were for sale so I started searching. I noted though that every reference I find to him looks much different from the one I'm holding in my hands. I was wondering if anyone could chime in and clear up my confusion.
My Prime has a blue Ion Cannon not a black or gray one, he has the short American stacks, but his paint isn't battle damaged at all. In fact it's all clean and nice except where it has worn with age. He also has a blue head with no silver painting on it as the American versions seem to have as well as his lights over his cab are all one solid color with no bronze on the tips. Last but not least there's not a stitch of Chrome on him and he doesn't have silver painted hydraulics near the vents on his shins. Seems odd to me. Can anyone place this one? I bought him and two more just like him decades ago on a closeout isle at WalMart of all places. Sold the other two on on eBay back in the day but kept him. Another note, in reading the descriptions of all the other primes there was some complaining that the base with the recorded clips weren't actually Cullen. I can tell you that the base on mine sounds EXACTLY like Cullen and I believe it came directly from the movie.

Anyway, any light on this would be appreciated!

Thanks all! :D

Uzie
Uzicron

Re: Optimus 20th Anniversary Figure Question

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:26 am

The 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime figure had a couple of releases when it first came out.

Originally, this toy was released in Japan in 2004 as the very first figure of the Transformers: Masterpiece toyline, in which it was known as MP-1 Convoy ("Convoy" being Optimus Prime's Japanese name, and "MP-1" being the toy's ID number). This original Japanese release had tall smokestacks, silver chrome paint, a gray Ion Blaster, no battle damage, and a cardboard trailer that could be built from the toy's packaging.

When it was brought over to English-speaking markets in the same year, it was renamed 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime and featured some differences from the Japanese version. Namely, the smokestacks were shortened for safety reasons, black scorch marks were added for battle damage, and the new packaging could instead fold out to resemble Optimus's Combat Deck instead of his trailer (but this feature wasn't done very well).

Initial shipments of this 20th Anniversary Optimus retained the gray Ion Blaster of the Japanese release, but later shipments had the gun changed from gray to black.

Then in 2006, the toy was released again in the West under the Transformers: Classics line, with the name of 20th Anniversary DVD Edition Optimus Prime (the "DVD Edition" meant that this release was to coincide with the 20th anniversary of the 1986 Transformers: The Movie and its 2006 DVD release by Sony). This release kept the short smokestacks and got rid of the black scorch marks of the previous release, but also got rid of the silver chrome, changed all of the figure's colors to more flatter shades, colored the gun blue, made the truck over cab lights a solid cover, and was given a brand new talking display stand. Unlike the previous release, this one did not sell very well and was very heavily discounted by Walmart stores.

And there have been even more release versions of this toy in Japan (one that even have a fully transforming trailer), but it sounds to me like the version you have is the aforementioned 2006 DVD Edition.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Re: Optimus 20th Anniversary Figure Question

Postby cyberwuss » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:57 pm

I got mine for 30 dollars at walmart, discounted from 100 was really nice, was the latest one mentioned, didn't know the stand talked though :p
The coward desires revenge but being afraid to die, he looks to others, maybe to the government of the day, to do the work of defense for him.
cyberwuss

Return to Transformers - Toy Discussion