Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Repaints

If its about Transformers, the toys, it's fair game.

Re: Repaints

Postby Sabrblade » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:00 pm

Now you got me thinking of DoFP redecos.

• Terrorsaur - Energon Skyblast (but in more show-accurate colors, instead of those toy accurate colors he had in "Theft of the Golden Disk")
  • Scorponok - Energon Scorponok (WHY was Shortround used in "Theft" instead?)
  • Tarantulas - Cybertron Unicron does sound like a cool idea, but remove the cannon and retool the chest to remove the mouth boob (Cyb. Ransack in "Theft" was not a good idea), or maybe Cyb. Scrapmetal
  • Blackarachnia - no idea, Cyb. Thunderblast I guess?
  • Quickstrike - Energon Signal Flare/Offshoot
  • Silverbolt - Armada Starscream (sure it's a bit big, but the overall shape is right and they both even use the same weaponry: a sword that comes from a wing, and missils shot from beside the head)
  • Inferno - um... Armada Cyclonus?
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Lord Megatron » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:10 pm

TriPredRavage wrote:Yeah, but a DoFP TRANSMETAL Tarantulus doesn't really make much sense because the entire point of DoFP is to see what came before Beast Wars. And Transmetals was after the original scan, so this is kidna like a "this is what came before what came after..." situation.

Doesn't make a lot of sense, but I agree that the color scheme does work rather well to at least make what I would call a "Movie Tarantulus" figure, :)

I know, I was just making it as a "what if" character.
It took me a while to paint that...THING.
The head was very difficult to paint, and I haven't resculpted it yet but as soon as I manage to get some free time......
"He has no time for the dull roots at his feet, the buds on their roots, their promise... no time. It is the most beautiful flower in the field that he wants."
Lord Megatron

Postby Lord Megatron » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:25 pm

Sabrblade wrote:Now you got me thinking of DoFP redecos.

• Terrorsaur - Energon Skyblast (but in more show-accurate colors, instead of those toy accurate colors he had in "Theft of the Golden Disk")
  • Tarantulas - Cybertron Unicron does sound like a cool idea, but remove the cannon and retool the chest to remove the mouth boob (Cyb. Ransack in "Theft" was not a good idea), or maybe Cyb. Scrapmetal
  • Silverbolt - Armada Starscream (sure it's a bit big, but the overall shape is right and they both even use the same weaponry: a sword that comes from a wing, and missils shot from beside the head)

For Blackarachnia, I believe that her mold should be based off of Cybertron Unicron as well in order to maintain resemblence to her Beast Wars counterpart being a repaint of Tarantulas, with some extensive remolding to the chest area and some new head sculpting. As for Inferno, I still say that Movie Blackout would probably be the best choice. I mean, think of the scale as well, not only the resemblence to the characters. Blackout is just about the right size compared to DOFP Megatron and the rest of the DS' crew. Other than the propeller on his back, what other features about Armada Cyclonus actually resemble Inferno? Blackout has three fingers on each hand, a rotor on his back, a flamethrower(if using the Evac mold), a relatively close head sculpt, three toes, the cockpit area is in his chest as was the ant's head, in fact the only thing that doesn't really work is some of his back and shoulder kibble.
"He has no time for the dull roots at his feet, the buds on their roots, their promise... no time. It is the most beautiful flower in the field that he wants."
Lord Megatron

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:49 am

Lord Megatron wrote:

For Blackarachnia, I believe that her mold should be based off of Cybertron Unicron as well in order to maintain resemblence to her Beast Wars counterpart being a repaint of Tarantulas, with some extensive remolding to the chest area and some new head sculpting. As for Inferno, I still say that Movie Blackout would probably be the best choice. I mean, think of the scale as well, not only the resemblence to the characters. Blackout is just about the right size compared to DOFP Megatron and the rest of the DS' crew. Other than the propeller on his back, what other features about Armada Cyclonus actually resemble Inferno? Blackout has three fingers on each hand, a rotor on his back, a flamethrower(if using the Evac mold), a relatively close head sculpt, three toes, the cockpit area is in his chest as was the ant's head, in fact the only thing that doesn't really work is some of his back and shoulder kibble.
I was just guessing on the Inferno thing. I guess you make a good point on the Blackout mold.

As for Blackarachnia, I don't think she would have to still resemble Tarantulas in her DoFP body. It was due to her scanning a similar beast mode in Beast Wars that made her resemble him. I mean, take Cryotek for example. His first toy made him into a Megatron lookalike, but his DoFP body isn't the same mold that Megatron uses.

Even still, I'm still not sure on what toy mold her DoFP body would use, but I'm also not sure the Cyb. Unicron figure would quite do her justice.

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Lord Megatron » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:49 pm

Sabrblade wrote:
Lord Megatron wrote:

I was just guessing on the Inferno thing. I guess you make a good point on the Blackout mold.

As for Blackarachnia, I don't think she would have to still resemble Tarantulas in her DoFP body. It was due to her scanning a similar beast mode in Beast Wars that made her resemble him. I mean, take Cryotek for example. His first toy made him into a Megatron lookalike, but his DoFP body isn't the same mold that Megatron uses.

Even still, I'm still not sure on what toy mold her DoFP body would use, but I'm also not sure the Cyb. Unicron figure would quite do her justice.

I guess we'll have to wait for the figure that even slightly resembles a pre-BW Blackarachnia.
Maybe we'll find it in future Universe waves, that is if Hasbro still wants to continue the line(I seriously hope they do). The latest Universe figure that I've seen was MP Skywarp but is there any word on any other figures?
Any word on those Animated figures as far as release dates?
Lord Megatron

Postby blukis » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:07 am

The black Unicron comes to mind. Every Sunstorm ever. Also, most of the BotCon figures. I tend to like the different-character recolors better than recolored toys that are actually the same character as the original.
Unicron.com - Brian L - Image / tw / fb
blukis
Site Admin

Postby TriPredRavage » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:40 am

No way, bro, Silverbolt should only be Cybertron Blurr and I'll tell you why. Aside from the reasons I listed before, Silverbolt was a Land/Air based character. Cybertron Blurr is as well, he has his land based Car mode, and then that hover/flight mode when he has his Cyberkey. Not to mention, he would then keep his Wing Cannons in robot mode, that he can dismount and use as handheld weapons like he did in the series. Cybertron Blurr for the win!

He'd need a new head though. They could get away with using the Armada head, I suppose, considering he probably wouldn't have a dog face before having a beast mode, but I think a new head would be the way to go with that one.

And I completely agree with Signal Flare/Offshoot for Quickstrike though. That's a good one that I didn't think of.
TriPredRavage

Postby Sabrblade » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:57 pm

TriPredRavage wrote:

No way, bro, Silverbolt should only be Cybertron Blurr and I'll tell you why. Aside from the reasons I listed before, Silverbolt was a Land/Air based character. Cybertron Blurr is as well, he has his land based Car mode, and then that hover/flight mode when he has his Cyberkey. Not to mention, he would then keep his Wing Cannons in robot mode, that he can dismount and use as handheld weapons like he did in the series. Cybertron Blurr for the win!

He'd need a new head though. They could get away with using the Armada head, I suppose, considering he probably wouldn't have a dog face before having a beast mode, but I think a new head would be the way to go with that one.

And I completely agree with Signal Flare/Offshoot for Quickstrike though. That's a good one that I didn't think of.
Well, I still think that Silverbolt and Armada Starscream have the same overall body shape in robot mode.

But if they were gonna use Blurr, a way they could give him a new head without having to make a new one would be to give him Cybertron Snarl's head, since Snarl's design is based off Silverbolt (like they did with DoFP Dinobot using Hoist's head).

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby TriPredRavage » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:15 pm

Sabrblade wrote:Well, I still think that Silverbolt and Armada Starscream have the same overall body shape in robot mode.

But if they were gonna use Blurr, a way they could give him a new head without having to make a new one would be to give him Cybertron Snarl's head, since Snarl's design is based off Silverbolt (like they did with DoFP Dinobot using Hoist's head).

Hmm... Interesting point. Cybertron Snarl's head could work. It still has the dog face though, which I think would be inappropriate for a pre-beast mode Silverbolt, but you are right that it could work.

As far as toys are concerned, yeah, Armada Starscream and Silverbolt do have similarly shaped robot modes, but the Armada Starscream is such a bad figure, it'd be painful. Heck, he'd even have the huge extending back that the Silverbolt figure had, that the show did not. Nonetheless, though, the Armada Starscream is a pretty bad mold. It has such limited posibility (only in its arms!) that the thing is practically a brick. You can't even give it cool poses...

You know what's weird though? I'm pretty sure that Silverbolt never used his feather missiles as swords. He took them out and held them in his hands, yes, but he always threw them and never actually used them in any sword-like manner. The closest thing is when he almost sacrificed Tarantulus over one in "Crossing the Rubicon". In fact the ONLY instance I know that they were used as swords for sure was the in the PlayStation One game "Transformers: Beast Wars; Transmetals."

It's just another reason that I think Blurr is more appropriate. Because, then when you take the launchers off of his back and put them in his hands, they still get used the same way that they did in the show.
TriPredRavage

Postby Sabrblade » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:22 pm

TriPredRavage wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:Well, I still think that Silverbolt and Armada Starscream have the same overall body shape in robot mode.

Hmm... Interesting point. Cybertron Snarl's head could work. It still has the dog face though, which I think would be inappropriate for a pre-beast mode Silverbolt, but you are right that it could work.

As far as toys are concerned, yeah, Armada Starscream and Silverbolt do have similarly shaped robot modes, but the Armada Starscream is such a bad figure, it'd be painful. Heck, he'd even have the huge extending back that the Silverbolt figure had, that the show did not. Nonetheless, though, the Armada Starscream is a pretty bad mold. It has such limited posibility (only in its arms!) that the thing is practically a brick. You can't even give it cool poses...

You know what's weird though? I'm pretty sure that Silverbolt never used his feather missiles as swords. He took them out and held them in his hands, yes, but he always threw them and never actually used them in any sword-like manner. The closest thing is when he almost sacrificed Tarantulus over one in "Crossing the Rubicon". In fact the ONLY instance I know that they were used as swords for sure was the in the PlayStation One game "Transformers: Beast Wars; Transmetals."

It's just another reason that I think Blurr is more appropriate. Because, then when you take the launchers off of his back and put them in his hands, they still get used the same way that they did in the show.
Who knows, maybe they could remold the figure to give it more ball joints.

Either that or they could make a shrunken-down version with more joints and less/no electronic features (hey, they made enlarged versions of Superlink Galvatron/G and Galaxy Force Starscream, this would just be the opposite).

As for dogboy's missile swords, yeah, I don't think he ever did use them as swords. He did use them as throwing javelins/spears, but only the toy had them as swords.

While this would work for the Blurr figure, if it were used, he would lack his more-oftenly-used shoulder/wing missiles.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers - Toy Discussion