Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Repaints

If its about Transformers, the toys, it's fair game.

Re: Repaints

Postby Lord Megatron » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:24 pm

Sabrblade wrote:
TriPredRavage wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:Well, I still think that Silverbolt and Armada Starscream have the same overall body shape in robot mode.

But if they were gonna use Blurr, a way they could give him a new head without having to make a new one would be to give him Cybertron Snarl's head, since Snarl's design is based off Silverbolt (like they did with DoFP Dinobot using Hoist's head).

Hmm... Interesting point. Cybertron Snarl's head could work. It still has the dog face though, which I think would be inappropriate for a pre-beast mode Silverbolt, but you are right that it could work.

As far as toys are concerned, yeah, Armada Starscream and Silverbolt do have similarly shaped robot modes, but the Armada Starscream is such a bad figure, it'd be painful. Heck, he'd even have the huge extending back that the Silverbolt figure had, that the show did not. Nonetheless, though, the Armada Starscream is a pretty bad mold. It has such limited posibility (only in its arms!) that the thing is practically a brick. You can't even give it cool poses...

You know what's weird though? I'm pretty sure that Silverbolt never used his feather missiles as swords. He took them out and held them in his hands, yes, but he always threw them and never actually used them in any sword-like manner. The closest thing is when he almost sacrificed Tarantulus over one in "Crossing the Rubicon". In fact the ONLY instance I know that they were used as swords for sure was the in the PlayStation One game "Transformers: Beast Wars; Transmetals."

It's just another reason that I think Blurr is more appropriate. Because, then when you take the launchers off of his back and put them in his hands, they still get used the same way that they did in the show.
Who knows, maybe they could remold the figure to give it more ball joints.

Either that or they could make a shrunken-down version with more joints and less/no electronic features (hey, they made enlarged versions of Superlink Galvatron/G and Galaxy Force Starscream, this would just be the opposite).

As for dogboy's missile swords, yeah, I don't think he ever did use them as swords. He did use them as throwing javelins/spears, but only the toy had them as swords.

While this would work for the Blurr figure, if it were used, he would lack his more-oftenly-used shoulder/wing missiles.

Am I the only one who wants to see a downsized Armada Unicron to about the ultra class in order to concerve display space? I would KILL for a smaller replica of the Armada/Energon Unicron!
"He has no time for the dull roots at his feet, the buds on their roots, their promise... no time. It is the most beautiful flower in the field that he wants."
Lord Megatron

Postby TriPredRavage » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:51 pm

Sabrblade wrote:Who knows, maybe they could remold the figure to give it more ball joints.

Either that or they could make a shrunken-down version with more joints and less/no electronic features (hey, they made enlarged versions of Superlink Galvatron/G and Galaxy Force Starscream, this would just be the opposite).

As for dogboy's missile swords, yeah, I don't think he ever did use them as swords. He did use them as throwing javelins/spears, but only the toy had them as swords.

While this would work for the Blurr figure, if it were used, he would lack his more-oftenly-used shoulder/wing missiles.

I agree. And yes, he'd lack the over the shoulder type guns, but I think they would still count as wing guns. They'd just be lower on his body.
TriPredRavage

Postby Obsidian » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:39 am

I particularly liked:
-Universe Darkwing from Silverbolt (totally brilliant).
-Premium Movie 1 Megatron is a must have that toy went from so-so to great, totally do to a redeco.
-Animated Sunstorm is a particularly nice redeco & TFA Cliffjumper with the subtly retooled head was a mark of quality.

I'd really like to see:
-Odd as it is... Beast Machines Night slash Cheetor redecoed as normal Cheetor.
-Movie II Sideswipe as Sunstreaker (or Hot Rod)
-Movie Longarm as Trailbreaker
-And who doesn't want to see the rest of the TFA Starscream clones... I mean really.

A recolor of a toy that doesn't exist:
Cybertron mode TFA Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, & Wasp. That would be total cash in their pockets. Too bad TFA is no longer running otherwise that toy had to have been in the works.
-Obsidian
(Unicron.com)
Obsidian
Site Admin

Postby Lord Megatron » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:49 pm

Obsidian wrote:I particularly liked:
-Universe Darkwing from Silverbolt (totally brilliant).
-Premium Movie 1 Megatron is a must have that toy went from so-so to great, totally do to a redeco.
-Animated Sunstorm is a particularly nice redeco & TFA Cliffjumper with the subtly retooled head was a mark of quality.

I'd really like to see:
-Odd as it is... Beast Machines Night slash Cheetor redecoed as normal Cheetor.
-Movie II Sideswipe as Sunstreaker (or Hot Rod)
-Movie Longarm as Trailbreaker
-And who doesn't want to see the rest of the TFA Starscream clones... I mean really.

A recolor of a toy that doesn't exist:
Cybertron mode TFA Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, & Wasp. That would be total cash in their pockets. Too bad TFA is no longer running otherwise that toy had to have been in the works.

True, true, but we do have a Wasp figure coming out sometime in the near future which is just a straight repaint with no remolding of Animated Deluxe Bumblebee under the Universe line. A rather weak attempt at giving us a Wasp Hasbro! We should also be getting Pre-Earth Ratchet and Ironhide sometime soon after the movie hype dies down.
"He has no time for the dull roots at his feet, the buds on their roots, their promise... no time. It is the most beautiful flower in the field that he wants."
Lord Megatron

Postby TriPredRavage » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:23 pm

You know, I've been wanting to see some repaints of Energon and Cyberton figures as Beast Wars characters for a few years now. Especially seeing as they would go well with the Jungle Planet's Optimus Prime, Megatron, and now Leo Prime. I figure we'd have:

• Energon Battle/Command Ravage as Cheetor and Tigatron
  • Energon Divebomb/Blackout as Airazor
  • Energon Doom/Cruellock or Cyberton Undermine/Repugnus as Dinobot
  • Cybertron Snarl as Silverbolt
  • Cybertron Brimstone as Terrorsaur
  • Energon/Cybertron Scorponok as Scorponok (big surprise there, I know)
  • Cybertron Cryo/Scourge as Galvatron (for the win!)

However, considering the fact that the recent Universe 2.0 Cheetor and Dinobot were largely shelf-warmers, I doubt it'll anytime before I see this dream come true. I am, however, pleased to see the new RotF Scorponok in BW Scorponok colors. Maybe we'll see Cheetor and Tigatron repaints of RotF Ravage in the future.
TriPredRavage

Postby Sabrblade » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:15 pm

Another idea for a DoFP redeco would be ROTF Sideswipe as Depth Charge.

My reasons for this are that Sideswipe's back-kibble sorta resembles Depth Charge's Wings that also hung on his back, and Sideswipe's alt-mode is named after something that looks very close to a manta ray.

Not to mention that their torsos look kinda similar. And Sideswipe's arm lances could be like Depth Charge's tail spear. But I can SO see Depth Charge using those big arm lances to crush his enemies (particularly Rampage)

Still the altmode would need some retooling to look more alien.

And even though it isn't an aquatic altmode, I don't see why it has to be. I mean, In "Theft of the Golden Disk," Scorponok has an aquatic altmode, when he never had any such form in Beast Wars. If one could go from sea-based to land-based, I don't see why Depth Charge couldn't go vice-versa.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby TriPredRavage » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:07 pm

Sabrblade wrote:Another idea for a DoFP redeco would be ROTF Sideswipe as Depth Charge.

My reasons for this are that Sideswipe's back-kibble sorta resembles Depth Charge's Wings that also hung on his back, and Sideswipe's alt-mode is named after something that looks very close to a manta ray.

Not to mention that their torsos look kinda similar. And Sideswipe's arm lances could be like Depth Charge's tail spear. But I can SO see Depth Charge using those big arm lances to crush his enemies (particularly Rampage)

Still the altmode would need some retooling to look more alien.

And even though it isn't an aquatic altmode, I don't see why it has to be. I mean, In "Theft of the Golden Disk," Scorponok has an aquatic altmode, when he never had any such form in Beast Wars. If one could go from sea-based to land-based, I don't see why Depth Charge couldn't go vice-versa.

Ugh... I hate TotGD. The CGI wasn't bad, but pretty much every other choice, other than getting David Kaye to reprise his role as Megatron, was bad. It needed more and better sound effects.

I pretty much ignore it considering it completely contradicts DoFP with character appearances (Scorponok being a Shortround repaint, and Tarantulus being Ransack. I'm pretty sure in the DoFP Tarantulus actually was Unicron retooled, by the way). It actually took me several viewings to realize that Scorponok was "Clamps." Poor choice.

That said, I'm standing by that Shortround is the best mold for Depthcharge. He's got a similar enough head sculpt, an aquatic alt mode, a similar enough body sculpt (arms are admittedly too long, but the rest is pretty good), and the back kibble. The important thing to remember is that Depthcharge wouldn't look like he did in the show though. That's his Transmetal appearance. This would be his pre-Earth, pre-Transmetal body we are looking at.

That said, who would make a good DoFP Rampage? I guess a Starscream mold would be appropriate because he's a Starscream clone, but I woldn't want that considering that Rampage is nothing like Starscream and he's not a flyer. Maybe Cybertron Defense Hotshot or Armada/Cybertron Demolisher (new heads, of course)?
TriPredRavage

Postby Sabrblade » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:54 pm

Hmm, Rampage would be very tough since we've actually seen his Cybertronian body on screen (even though it was cast in shadow) and it looks to be very very similar to his normal BW body, but minus ALL the kibble.

Basically, if one were take the normal BW Rampage figure and remove all the parts that would be considered kibble, leaving only his torso, head, waist, legs, feet, arms, and shoulders, what would be left would be a mutilated figure that would better resemble the pre-Earth Rampage.

Though, it wouldn't really transform anymore, thus defeating the purpose.

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby TriPredRavage » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:54 pm

Sabrblade wrote:Hmm, Rampage would be very tough since we've actually seen his Cybertronian body on screen (even though it was cast in shadow) and it looks to be very very similar to his normal BW body, but minus ALL the kibble.

Basically, if one were take the normal BW Rampage figure and remove all the parts that would be considered kibble, leaving only his torso, head, waist, legs, feet, arms, and shoulders, what would be left would be a mutilated figure that would better resemble the pre-Earth Rampage.

Though, it wouldn't really transform anymore, thus defeating the purpose.

Sadly, seeing them in the shadows and such seems to have had little impact on the characters' appearances in DoFP. Otherwise, Megatron probably would have been a Vector Prime repaint like I said before. I know the comic covered it an made the thing an exo-suit, but really, the whole thing could have been avoided all together.

That said, taking his shadowed appearance into account, I'm going to say the best bets are: Armada/Cybertron Demolishor, Armada Optimus/Nemesis Prime, Armada Scavenger, Armada Overload, Energon Barricade, or Cybertron Mudflap. Any of these would need new head sculpts, but they are the closest designs to the shadowed Rampage, I believe.

On a side note, it impresses me how the Botcon figures can be either completely genius or terribly picked. They could have gotten off easy making Optimus Primal a Cybertron Optimus Prime repaint. He even had the mouthplate. They could have released the figure without the super mode attachments and been done, but they chose Cybertron Crumplezone in stead. And what a BRILLIANT choice! I was shocked and impressed, it was such a good call.

And then Cheetor was made off of Cybertron Clocker and the much more appropriate and similar sclupt of Cybertron Override was completely ignored. Seriously, a miss with this one and Tigatron.

But that's just how the figures seem to be; they're either really good decisions, or really off the mark.
TriPredRavage

Postby Sabrblade » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:11 pm

Now that I think about it, Depth Charge's pre-Earth body that was seem in the show is in the same case as Rampage: same body as the Beast Wars body, but minus all kibble.

It would seem that they got lazy with these two at this point of the series by using simplified "kibble-less" versions of the bodies they would obtain before they actually get them. Whereas the first episode had Megatron in a different body that was only somewhat similar to his beast body.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers - Toy Discussion