Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Repaints

If its about Transformers, the toys, it's fair game.

Re: Repaints

Postby TriPredRavage » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:44 pm

Sabrblade wrote:Erm, maybe. The crab claw hands kinda turn me off on the Rampage-ness.
No way, dude. Take a look at it. His whole body is the same design aside from the head and hands. And lest you forget, both Megatron and Tarantulas had normal hands before they got their Beast Modes. Megatron also had none of that back kibble either before he got his Beast Mode, so this figure is actually a perfect mold for a pre-Transmetal Rampage.
TriPredRavage

Postby Blademan91 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:34 pm

As for the repaints for fembot figures, Im still waiting to see if Takara does a figure for Slipstream.

Dont mind me, Im just enjoying my milk.
Blademan91

Postby Sabrblade » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:45 pm

Blademan91 wrote:As for the repaints for fembot figures, Im still waiting to see if Takara does a figure for Slipstream.
I've a feeling that their Animated toyline is dying down to a close, what with the United toyline also ending and the Dark Side Moon (Japanese DOTM) toyline just around the corner.

not to mention that the only new Screamer Clone toys they made were Activators for Skywarp and Ramjet, and Legends figures for everyone but Slipstream. Yeah, she's really getting the short end of the stick both here and there. :|
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Sabrblade » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:18 pm

Okay, we've covered so many DoFP ideas and yet we never once mentioned the most obvious one that has also become official, thanks to TotGD:

Energon Shockblast/Six Shot as Cryotek

I mean, how did we overlook mentioning this? The notion of it already being a given can't be our excuse, since we've mentioned the Energon Skyblast as Terrorsaur idea a few times, and that falls into the same category as this.

Better late than never, I guess. :roll:

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby TriPredRavage » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:47 am

Sabrblade wrote:Okay, we've covered so many DoFP ideas and yet we never once mentioned the most obvious one that has also become official, thanks to TotGD:

Energon Shockblast/Six Shot as Cryotek

I mean, how did we overlook mentioning this? The notion of it already being a given can't be our excuse, since we've mentioned the Energon Skyblast as Terrorsaur idea a few times, and that falls into the same category as this.

Better late than never, I guess. :roll:
I'm going with "it already being a given" as my excuse. :lol:

But here's why, in the cases of Tarantulas, Scorponok, and Terrorsaur, they all had 2 pre-Earth appearances. That's why it's been so logical to debate what their pre-Earth form would be. In the case of Cryotek, he's only got this one appearance, so it was never really worth talking about, I guess. And the fact of the matter is, it's actually a really good choice for him (IMHO). Too bad his nemesis Primal Prime can't have a DoFP version, though. :|
TriPredRavage

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:11 pm

TriPredRavage wrote: And the fact of the matter is, it's actually a really good choice for him (IMHO).
I know, right? It's so perfect a fit for him. 8-)

Though, I could do without the Clocker helmet. :roll:

Still, though, one question about him has been bothering me for a while: Why does he not exist in the IDW Beast Wars continuity? Is it because his toy was a RiD one? That's pretty weak, considering how cemented he is into the Beast Era.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby TriPredRavage » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:05 pm

Sabrblade wrote:Still, though, one question about him has been bothering me for a while: Why does he not exist in the IDW Beast Wars continuity? Is it because his toy was a RiD one? That's pretty weak, considering how cemented he is into the Beast Era.
I'd say it's either because of that or because he's considered more of a Beast Machines entity. None of the Beast Machines characters are in IDW's Beast Wars continuity, and a few of the RiD figures (Megabolt Megatron, Croytek, Bruticus, that Optimus Primal figure) were actally released in the RiD line, though they were either part of the Beast Machines line, or were originally supposed to be.
TriPredRavage

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:08 pm

TriPredRavage wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:Still, though, one question about him has been bothering me for a while: Why does he not exist in the IDW Beast Wars continuity? Is it because his toy was a RiD one? That's pretty weak, considering how cemented he is into the Beast Era.
I'd say it's either because of that or because he's considered more of a Beast Machines entity. None of the Beast Machines characters are in IDW's Beast Wars continuity, and a few of the RiD figures (Megabolt Megatron, Croytek, Bruticus, that Optimus Primal figure) were actally released in the RiD line, though they were either part of the Beast Machines line, or were originally supposed to be.
Yeah, but still. He should at least warranted a mention in the Sourcebook's glossary (like Tankor did) or in the text of Megatron's bio (as Megs' mentor).

And, despite Bruticus's mold being intended for Beast Machines Cerberus, Bruticus is very much a RiD character, being the guard of the Megastar's holding cells. The rest, however, are most blatantly Beast Machines dudes. ;)

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby TriPredRavage » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:59 pm

Sabrblade wrote:Yeah, but still. He should at least warranted a mention in the Sourcebook's glossary (like Tankor did) or in the text of Megatron's bio (as Megs' mentor).
Tankor's only mentioned in the book though because they had to come up with a way to validate putting his Transmetal form into the book. Same as Waspinator's Transmetal form getting in and calling it an alternate universe thing. Putting Tankor into Rhinox's Transmetal bio gives the character a drive, a purpose. To put Cryotek into Megatron's would dimish Megatron's uniqueness and greatness, as it would make him almost secondary, or lacky-ish to a repaint of his character.

It's not such a big deal in the 3H/FunPub stuff because they feature Cryotek as their villain of choice. Thus, they use that backstory to build a character out of nothing and make Cryotek seem like a true threat ("If Megatron is bad, just wait til you see the guy who taught him!" sort of thing). But for IDW's purpose, they didn't go that way, as it is the convetion canon, and as you've said yourself, IDW didn't want their canon to be limited or influenced by the convention continuities.

Sabrblade wrote:And, despite Bruticus's mold being intended for Beast Machines Cerberus, Bruticus is very much a RiD character, being the guard of the Megastar's holding cells. The rest, however, are most blatantly Beast Machines dudes. ;)
I am aware.
TriPredRavage

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:11 pm

TriPredRavage wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:Yeah, but still. He should at least warranted a mention in the Sourcebook's glossary (like Tankor did) or in the text of Megatron's bio (as Megs' mentor).
Tankor's only mentioned in the book though because they had to come up with a way to validate putting his Transmetal form into the book. Same as Waspinator's Transmetal form getting in and calling it an alternate universe thing. Putting Tankor into Rhinox's Transmetal bio gives the character a drive, a purpose. To put Cryotek into Megatron's would dimish Megatron's uniqueness and greatness, as it would make him almost secondary, or lacky-ish to a repaint of his character.
Not unless its worded in a way that refers to how he double-crossed his mentor to overthrow him (which he essentially did, since all who served Cryotek and didn't get caught turned their primary allegiances to Megatron and none else).

TriPredRavage wrote:It's not such a big deal in the 3H/FunPub stuff because they feature Cryotek as their villain of choice. Thus, they use that backstory to build a character out of nothing and make Cryotek seem like a true threat ("If Megatron is bad, just wait til you see the guy who taught him!" sort of thing). But for IDW's purpose, they didn't go that way, as it is the convetion canon, and as you've said yourself, IDW didn't want their canon to be limited or influenced by the convention continuities.
Yes, but, as you said, TotGD and DoFP by themselves can work to fit into the IDW Beast Era fiction, and Cryotek still plays a role in this pre-BW period.
I just wish that Cryotek would have at least gotten some kind of mention like, "Having been the star pupil of the crime lord Cryotek, Megatron proved to be the superior mind, succeeding where his former master failed in acquiring the Golden Disc [sic] for himself." This very sentence could easily fit well between the fourth and fifth sentences of Megs' bio.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers - Toy Discussion