Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Have you ever returned a toy in the wrong box?

If its about Transformers, the toys, it's fair game.

Have you ever returned a toy in the wrong box?

Postby chrombot » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:32 pm

So, I have a question to some folks about buying and returning toys.
I'll use the animated shockwave bumble target exclusive, two pack as an example.
Suppose you bought both shockwaves, opened both and took the purple one and kept it, and put the black one back in the wrong box, the one with bumblebee and returned it.
I know someone in my area has done this and it was really kind of a gasp and took me back. I wonder how common this practice is. I didn't point it out to the store, cause, well, I work in retail, I know nothing much would be done other than hope the item sells.
chrombot

Re: Have you ever returned a toy in the wrong box?

Postby Lord Megatron » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:22 pm

I've seen a similar situation with the ROTF leader class Optimus Prime replaced with '07 Movie Prime on another board a while back and I was suprised to find out that it actually DID sell. Stores really need to watch what they rake in from the returns department as I've seen an Armada Hotshot returned in a Universe Hotshot box, a knock-off G1 Onslaught and other knock-off Bruticus limbs returned in the RID Walmart Exclusive Ruination box, and, believe it or not, a legends class animated Thundercracker returned in a animated voyager Skywarp's packaging! Thats just pitiful!
My opinion on the matter is that, while I'm sure that us members of the board won't be fooled by this trickery, millions of less familar children and parents will be.

IT NEEDS TO STOP.
"He has no time for the dull roots at his feet, the buds on their roots, their promise... no time. It is the most beautiful flower in the field that he wants."
Lord Megatron

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:01 pm

You have got to see the TFWiki page on this. "Toy Swapping" is the name of this game. Get a load of these examples:

TFWiki.net had once wrote:
  • Armada Giga-Con Jetfire, with the packaging including nothing but the chest plate.
  • One half of a broken up Robots in Disguise Ultra Magnus in a much smaller box that belonged to a toy from a later line.
  • Alternators Dead End, with the packaging containing a non-transforming black Dodge Viper convertible model car. This was actually sold on eBay as a "rare factory error variant" of Alternators Side Swipe.
  • A painted piece of wood (!) in a Transformers packaging.
  • Cybertron Leader Class Optimus Prime, with the packaging containing a bootleg of the Power Rangers figure Ninjor.
  • Movie Voyager Ratchet and Movie Voyager Ironhide, with the packaging containing either Cybertron Deluxe Demolishor or Cybertron Voyager Mudflap.
  • A pair of binoculars (!) in Transformers packaging.
  • Energon Megatron in an Energon Galvatron box.
  • A terribly broken Titanium Thundercracker in a Movie Thundercracker box.
  • The original release of Voyager Class Ironhide from the 2007 Movie toyline in the packaging of the "Premium Series" redeco.
  • Robots in Disguise Armorhide, a toy that was originally released in 2001, in the packaging of Hardtop from the 2007 Movie line. What's worse, someone actually tried to sell this as an "error variant" on TFieds.com

And here's some image examples:

A Power Rangers Ninjor/Ninjakon knockoff in Cybertron Optimus Prime packaging. "Details and colors may vary." :lol:

The infamous non-transforming black Dodge Viper in an Alternators Dead End packaging. "Rare factory error variant! Could be yours for only $1000!"

This is just pathetic. Notice that both boxes in the pic have the wrong toy in them.

And need I really comment on this one?
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Lord Megatron » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:28 pm

Sabrblade wrote:You have got to see the TFWiki page on this. "Toy Swapping" is the name of this game. Get a load of these examples:

TFWiki.net had once wrote:
  • Armada Giga-Con Jetfire, with the packaging including nothing but the chest plate.
  • One half of a broken up Robots in Disguise Ultra Magnus in a much smaller box that belonged to a toy from a later line.
  • Alternators Dead End, with the packaging containing a non-transforming black Dodge Viper convertible model car. This was actually sold on eBay as a "rare factory error variant" of Alternators Side Swipe.
  • A painted piece of wood (!) in a Transformers packaging.
  • Cybertron Leader Class Optimus Prime, with the packaging containing a bootleg of the Power Rangers figure Ninjor.
  • Movie Voyager Ratchet and Movie Voyager Ironhide, with the packaging containing either Cybertron Deluxe Demolishor or Cybertron Voyager Mudflap.
  • A pair of binoculars (!) in Transformers packaging.
  • Energon Megatron in an Energon Galvatron box.
  • A terribly broken Titanium Thundercracker in a Movie Thundercracker box.
  • The original release of Voyager Class Ironhide from the 2007 Movie toyline in the packaging of the "Premium Series" redeco.
  • Robots in Disguise Armorhide, a toy that was originally released in 2001, in the packaging of Hardtop from the 2007 Movie line. What's worse, someone actually tried to sell this as an "error variant" on TFieds.com

And here's some image examples:

A Power Rangers Ninjor/Ninjakon knockoff in Cybertron Optimus Prime packaging. "Details and colors may vary." :lol:

The infamous non-transforming black Dodge Viper in an Alternators Dead End packaging. "Rare factory error variant! Could be yours for only $1000!"

This is just pathetic. Notice that both boxes in the pic have the wrong toy in them.

And need I really comment on this one?

:shock: Thats just horrible. A piece of wood?!?!? HA! :lol: Thats sickening!

Btw, any proud owners of that Universe Razorclaw willing to part with theirs? I'd gladly take it off your hands! :mrgreen:
"He has no time for the dull roots at his feet, the buds on their roots, their promise... no time. It is the most beautiful flower in the field that he wants."
Lord Megatron

Postby chrombot » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:34 am

The way most retail stores work, the people that do the returns dont stock the area, and toys change every 3-4 months in some cases, so, if you're not a collector, how can you keep up anyway?
chrombot

Postby megatron » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:31 am

that is really pathetic of those people. lordmegatron have you ran in to this before, i personally cant say i have, but like you said the collectors like ourselves wont have this problem, but young children and older adults wont know the difference . just the other day i was on the hunt for a devastsor set at tru and two women asked me witch of the transformers were from the movie, i even helped them pick the ones that were for the right ages. i think they were more look at the price tag than anything else.
in the mean time lets just make a pact that if we see packages that have been tampered with let someone in the toy depot know. if i saw someone returning something like that i would find the store manager and them know whats going on, being discreet as well. thats a crime called stealing.
megatron

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:18 am

Here's another case of Toy Swapping:

First Gen at Seibertron.com wrote:Shopping my local Walmart recently, I was doing my normal rounds for Transformers sightings when I found all the newly released Transformers Revenge of the Fallen toys in all their glory.

As I gazed at all the figures and admired the alt modes for them I looked at the lone two leader class figures they had, Optimus Prime and Megatron. Now of all the ROTF figures, Optimus was one I definately wanted to see in hand but when I grabbed him I was met with an unpleasant surprise.

Yes, it was the 2007 figure release in ROTF packaging. Megatron was also the 2007 regular figure, before Premium that is, in the ROTF packaging. Upon closer investigation it turned out that it was a returned item. Whoever returned it took the time to not only completey retape the package over the old tape, but the twisty tied the figures back also.

I brought this to the attention of Walmart customer service to which they just had to take the figures out of stock, but given the figures are very close in size to the last films release, this may not be an isolated incident. I had to literally point out all the differences of the figures to the customer service associates because they couldn't tell the difference between them.

I believe this is what you were referring to, Lord Megs.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Lord Megatron » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:34 am

Sabrblade wrote:Here's another case of Toy Swapping:

First Gen at Seibertron.com wrote:Shopping my local Walmart recently, I was doing my normal rounds for Transformers sightings when I found all the newly released Transformers Revenge of the Fallen toys in all their glory.

As I gazed at all the figures and admired the alt modes for them I looked at the lone two leader class figures they had, Optimus Prime and Megatron. Now of all the ROTF figures, Optimus was one I definately wanted to see in hand but when I grabbed him I was met with an unpleasant surprise.

Yes, it was the 2007 figure release in ROTF packaging. Megatron was also the 2007 regular figure, before Premium that is, in the ROTF packaging. Upon closer investigation it turned out that it was a returned item. Whoever returned it took the time to not only completey retape the package over the old tape, but the twisty tied the figures back also.

I brought this to the attention of Walmart customer service to which they just had to take the figures out of stock, but given the figures are very close in size to the last films release, this may not be an isolated incident. I had to literally point out all the differences of the figures to the customer service associates because they couldn't tell the difference between them.

I believe this is what you were referring to, Lord Megs.

:shock: YES. I completely forgot that he said that they had done the same thing to ROTF Megatron! You're just trying to make me mad aren't you? ;)
Lord Megatron

Postby Agent X » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:20 pm

some people just need to be shot (in the arm) for being stupid

If these people had any brians, they wloud be smart enough to either sell the old toy on a garage sale or take it to a second hand store so underprivlaged children could have an (for sake of argument) Optimus Prime figure.
Immaturity is shown by not trying to understand others, but by judging others.
Agent X

Postby Jolt the Volt » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:56 pm

this is just sad that they dont notis some of these
Jolt the Volt

Next

Return to Transformers - Toy Discussion