Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

More in dept guide to Fake toys?

If its about Transformers, the toys, it's fair game.

More in dept guide to Fake toys?

Postby xmod » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:59 pm

I have been reading for over 2 days on guides to tell real vintage from fake knock offs.
After a beginning frustration, i gave up as most sites pride themselves on teaching differences about the box! What about the little guys that have loose figures?

Basically, I finally got my hands on Optimus Prime G1, in fact, 2 of them. Wanted to make a complete set from 2 lot purchase.
At my surprise, they are not the same!? Well, same size and color and all, but have different tells on them.

1 - I do not see any markings on Prime himself, only the Trailer? Is that normal?

2 - The trailer's swivel stands have a different blue on both?

3 - Last but not least, the most strange that through me off, the markings on the trailers...
Trailer 1 "Takara only, no date, but the T in the hitch hole.
Trailer 2 "hasbro 80/82 - Takara 80/82" but a 5 in the hitch hole?

Any light on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
xmod

Re: More in dept guide to Fake toys?

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:18 pm

Both are authentic.

I looked up this webpage and found pics matching both of those trailers.

The reason they are different is because there have been a multitude of variant releases of the G1 Optimus Prime toy over the years, even back in the 80's. Some with dark blue, some with light blue, some with purple, some with red feet, some with fatter accessories, some from different countries, some with long smokestacks, some with short smokestacks, some with pinkish red, some with a blue Roller, some with a gray Roller, some with a silver Roller, some with a metal trailer, some with a plastic trailer, etc.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby xmod » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:49 pm

I don't know how on a span of 2 days of research, I did not stumble on that site. Sometimes, I am starting to doubt google... lol

Thanks for the info, that was a pretty loaded websource, still a few missing links, but at least I am going to be a peace with the deciding keeper.

:grin:
xmod

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:02 pm

Found it via the Variant page on TFwiki (that site can be your best friend). ;)

Here's the main website - http://fredsworkshop.com/

And the main variants page - http://fredsworkshop.com/variants.html
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Return to Transformers - Toy Discussion