Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

DVD Releases: Paying Extra For An (English) Japanese Series?

TF:Prime, Animated, Beast Wars, G1, you name it!

DVD Releases: Paying Extra For An (English) Japanese Series?

Postby CYLON (13) » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:44 pm

So, let's talk first-time releases on dvd in America.

Recently, as you probably know, there was a release of the Japanese series G1 Headmasters. This dvd release is a Japanese only dub with english subtitles. The price for this new set is roughly $60.

If these dvd's were produced with an english-dub (a new one), would you pay extra for it?
How much more? How much is too much?

I thought it a good question and hopefully if there's enough positive response, it'll get the ball rolling and the next Japanese series we get will include an english-dub.

So what d'ya think?
"I will move away from here, you wont be afraid of fear" Nirvana
CYLON (13)

Re: DVD Releases: Paying Extra For An (English) Japanese Ser

Postby Sabrblade » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:31 am

In this day and age, them doing a completely new professional redub of these would be unprofitable for Hasbro.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby CYLON (13) » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:13 am

Life is so unfair. :lol:
CYLON (13)

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:59 pm

And, if they were to give them all new professional dubs in this day and age, I honestly don't know if I'd like them. For one, they wouldn't be able to get all, if any, of the original G1 voice actors to reprise some of their roles, since all of them are too expensive nowadays (and some of them have died too). So, any new voices may not sound as authentic to the originals.

And, dubbing Masterforce would be crazy hard, since the characters of that show are drastically different people from those American characters whom they share toys with. Like, Ginrai is not Optimus Prime/Convoy, Minerva's a teenage girl medic and Nightbeat's a male Autobot detective, Lander's a playboy ladies' man and geologist while Landmine's an Indiana Jones-style adventure-seeker, and so on and so forth.

And darn Shout! Factory for trying to shove some of the American counterpart names upon these human characters. :x

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby CYLON (13) » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:46 pm

Huh, I didn't know all the reshuffling that was done.

Yeah, I didn't mean get the original voice actors. :lol:
I was thinking of them getting a new cast that could mimic the way the characters were originally played.
CYLON (13)

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:53 pm

CYLON (13) wrote:Huh, I didn't know all the reshuffling that was done.
"Reshuffling"?

CYLON (13) wrote:Yeah, I didn't mean get the original voice actors. :lol:
I was thinking of them getting a new cast that could mimic the way the characters were originally played.
Yeah, but like I said, it wouldn't sound as authentic as the original voices.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby skywarp408 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:25 pm

I'm going to wait and see on the Shout version set. I already have the 3 series on dvd with subs and/or dubs.

I'd say if you really wanted the goofy dubs, you could just download them. That's about as good as you can get without buying the Shout version, sorry. I think TFcog did some fan made ones too. http://www.thetfcog.com/
skywarp408

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:43 pm

skywarp408 wrote:I'd say if you really wanted the goofy dubs, you could just download them. That's about as good as you can get without buying the Shout version, sorry.
Metrodome included the bad dub of The Headmasters on their DVD set of it. And Madman included both it and the bad dub of Victory on their DVD sets, as well as select episodes of the bad dub of Masterforce.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby skywarp408 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:14 pm

Most likely I have a combination of the two companies.
skywarp408

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:31 pm

skywarp408 wrote:Most likely I have a combination of the two companies.
DVD set images here and here.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Next

Return to Transformers - Cartoon Discussion