Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Transformers: "Armada?"

TF:Prime, Animated, Beast Wars, G1, you name it!

Transformers: "Armada?"

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:46 am

Here's something that's been bugging me. Does anyone else feel confused as to why the 2002-2003 Transformers series was called Transformers: "Armada"? I mean, what did that title entail? There was no "armada" anywhere to be found in the series. At least, not until near the very end when all the factions teamed up together to fight Unicron. But even that's stretching it a bit since the whole Unicron Battles arc wasn't even planned out from the beginning. It came along much later during the series' production.

On the other side of the Pacific, however, Japan had no such confusion with their title of this series, "Micron Densetsu", which is officially (but not literally) translated as "Legends of the Microns". A title like that makes sense since the Mini-Cons/Microns (or at least, their powers and abilities) were very much portrayed as being "legendary" from the get-go.

But, with "Armada", there were no armies or fleets or any of that until close to the end. Just two small ragtag bands of soldiers that gradually got bigger over time (but not big enough to consider either an "armada" -- at best, you could call each side a "squadron" or "unit"). And since Unicron's role wasn't part of the original plan at first, it kinda make one wonder what the creators were thinking at first when they chose that name.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Re: Transformers: "Armada?"

Postby Wing Saber » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:56 pm

They probably had the alliance in which the Autobot and Decepticon fleets joined together planned, just not which enemy they would face
Wing Saber

Postby ironrod prime » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:32 pm

well its a stretch but maybe the tittle implys that the faction with the biggest armada of minicons will win the war which explains why most who watched the series couldnt help but compare it to pokemon
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:49 pm

The plan from the get-go was simple: A series with a fresh start for new audiences that features Autobots/Cybertrons and Decepticons/Destrons fighting each other in a war on Earth, in which they fight over a third faction of smaller Transformers called Mini-Cons/Microns, who can combine with any bigger Transformers to power them up.

The whole "teaming up to fight a greater enemy (Unicron)" aspect came much later in the development. Kinda makes me wonder what direction the series would have gone had Hasbro and Takara not decided to make the new Unicron toy and shift the story to promote it. From what I've heard about the Armada Dreamwave comic, the storyline of that series was going very smoothly on its own, until it suddenly and abruptly switched to a Unicron-centric story in its final batch of issues.

So, it seems that the Unicron aspect of this series came as something of an afterthought, with the "Hunt for the Mini-Cons" aspect being intended as the main deal of the series, which, again, fits very well with the Japanese "Legends of the Microns" title, but not so much with the American "Armada" title. :|

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby starry* *night » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:41 pm

Is there any room for it just sounded cool
when naming in the industries.
I'm afraid there is huh?

Although should anyone come up with a story that's a reason to use the name
that would be interesting.
Don't change any of those front doors.
starry* *night

Postby ironrod prime » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:43 am

starry* *night wrote:Is there any room for it just sounded cool when naming in the industries.
I'm afraid there is huh?

the title always has to have something to do with the show i think thats like a major rule in tv however the title also has to be interesting in order to perk interest in the show itself
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:45 am

ironrod prime wrote:the title always has to have something to do with the show i think thats like a major rule in tv however the title also has to be interesting in order to perk interest in the show itself
You bring up a good point. let's think about this for a second:

The Transformers = a show about robots that change into other forms
Transformers: Generation 2 = the first show, but reversioned and reaired for a new generation
Beast Wars: Transformers = a Transformers show about robots that turn into animals fighting a war
Beast Machines: Transformers = Transformer robots that turn into animals vs. those that turn into machines
Transformers: Robots in Disguise = reboot series, uses the classic tagline to emphasize their transforming ability
Transformers: Armada = ? (new reboot series with Autobots and Decepticons fighting over the third faction of Mini-Cons)
Transformers: Energon = focuses on the important aspect of Energon
Transformers: Cybertron = Planet Cybertron is in grave danger, itself under the threat of a black hole
Transformers: Animated = title meant to differentiate it from the live action films
Transformers: Prime = supposed to refer to what it means to be a Prime (which the show has yet to follow through with)

Note that I was referring to just the U.S. TV shows to keep it simple. ;)

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Wing Saber » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:21 pm

Notice that for the first half of the show, new characters keep coming. maybe they meant for new characters to continue to come until eventually both sides would have an Armada.

Or maybe they meant for the Autobots and Decepticons to return to Cybertron and fight each other with their armadas
Wing Saber

Postby starry* *night » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:01 pm

ironrod prime wrote:
starry* *night wrote:Is there any room for it just sounded cool when naming in the industries.
I'm afraid there is huh?

the title always has to have something to do with the show i think thats like a major rule in tv however the title also has to be interesting in order to perk interest in the show itself

might depend on whether they named the toy line first or the tv show
Don't change any of those front doors.
starry* *night

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:24 pm

starry* *night wrote:
ironrod prime wrote:
I'm afraid there is huh?

might depend on whether they named the toy line first or the tv show
Both were made in conjunction with one another, hence the excellent show-accuracy/toy-accuracy relationship between both mediums. ;)

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Next

Return to Transformers - Cartoon Discussion