Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Who here does not recognize .....

TF:Prime, Animated, Beast Wars, G1, you name it!

Who here does not recognize .....

Postby DefCon13 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:22 am

as a Transformers fan - Anything which is not directly tied into the original G1 storyline ?????

Some people 100% reject the Bay Movies and only include the Beast Wars & Beast Machines as true off-shoots of the G1 series due to the Beast War's direct G1 tie-ins then it giving way to it's own straight after sequel in Beast Machines...The NON-RECOGNIZED SERIES INCLUDE - ARMADA,ENERGON,CYBERTRON,ANIMATED & ANY SHOW other than G1,BW & BM......& for those with the good fortune to know Japanese - TF: Headmasters Lol.... I am only lobbying for the American continuities /tie ins to be thew true Transformers historic time/event line.....

I do not totally disagree with this line of thought and as a purist of the G1 Line - I can only truly accept Headmasters(Japan) Beast Wars & Beast Machines ...I do however enjoy Transformers Prime as a separate series ...I long for a tie in to the BEast Machines reformatting as a begin point otherwise I can never fully accept TF Prime as being in the actual G1 Lineage ...Bay Dropped the Ball in failing to directly acknowledge the BM Reformatting of Cybertron ...Bay could have possibly won over & kept more hardcore G1 fans who thought his remake and reportrayal of Characters and rescripting of TF History was his fatal mistake ... I did not like the reset approach Bay took although the movie had some cool effects and some of the story was solid ...For a reset of Transformers to have had a chance the focus should have been more on the robots and less on the humans ...That was mistake number 2 to me ...

To sum it up where Bay went wrong with his movies ....
Bay Mistake number one - No connection to post g1 events or even pre(via Beast Wars /Beast Machines) since there was trasnswarp travel....IT was a total open door for Bay to connect to the actual timeline and he blew it by trying too hard to differentiate ...

Bay Mistake number two - Too much focus on the damned humans ;p

So anyway ..I hope TF Prime tries to write in something to account for the disconnect with the G1 series in events & chronology ... They have an energy starved Cybertron & have accounted for several common items (Key To Vector Sigma & THe Immobilizer for instace) They have also used protoforms & beast characters so it could be done with a little craftiness on the writers part....Heck they could hire me if they would like to have a good chronologically and historically accurate Transformers Prime -to - G1 tie -in ..I ,for one ,am more than up to it ....and could pull it off without a doubt due to thorough knowledge of G1 ,Beast Wars ,Beast Machines & up to date TF Prime knowledge and scenarios) as of the Toxicity episode...........
DefCon13

Re: Who here does not recognize .....

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:24 am

There are many series that are not tied in directly with G1 because they were made to not be tied in with G1. G1 continuity ended after Beast Machines, thus new continuities began to come about beginning with Robots in Disguise onward. The live action movies are officially non-G1, and so is the Prime cartoon.

There is an actual system that can determine what continuity each series belongs to and where each one fits into the overall Transformers multiverse and beyond. Every series that is part of the G1 continuity is given the designation of "Primax". Robots in Disguise continuity is called "Viron". The Unicron Triogy continuity of Armada, Energon, and Cybertron is "Aurex". The live action movies continuity is "Tyran". The Animated continuity is "Malgus". And many more designations are given to other, lesser continuities within the fiction.

Though, the most recent modern day continuity is the Aligned continuity, which comprises of War for Cybertron, Exodus, the Prime cartoon, Exiles, the Rescue Bots cartoon, Fall of Cybertron, and more fiction still to come. What's unique about this continuity is that, unlike the ones listed above, it does not yet have any systematic designation given to it, nor does it even exist within the same multiverse as the rest of the fiction. Rather, it exists outside of the known multiverse, occupying its own individuated existence of reality.

For all intents and purposes, aside from what ongoing fiction IDW and Fun Publications are producing, G1 continuity is mostly done and over with. The Aligned continuity is the main continuity of today that's going forward in the fiction, and will continue on for at least the next decade or so.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby CYLON (13) » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:14 pm

I like just about anything I've seen as an adult. I was a kid when G1 was new. Loved the Beast series'.
I did not like RiD, the Unicron trilogy or that horrendous ( :P ;) ) Animated show.

I will say this, though: I've been re-watching RiD on teh Youtube. And what I did not like before, I'm really enjoying now. Everything except how the cars can drive on the sides of buildings/bridges...that's a bit of jumping the SKYSHARK! Thank Yu! I'm here all week. ;)
No, but RiD, If they would release it on home discs (or whatever) I'd get a boxset. I'm anxiously waiting to see what I'll think of the Unicron trilogy and Animated (if I can find 'em all) once I start that re-watch.

I thought the movies were good. Obviously, no Green Mile...but still a good time. I can't wait to see what robots they use next. I can see, though, how old school fans would be off-put by such a radical change in the robots appearances and personalities.

I'm not big of TF's in print, never really gave them a chance though. LOL, always wanted them on the telly. I'm going to get the first novel (Exiles, I believe) and check out a few comics. I guess, I'll let you fellas know what I think of the experience.

Sabrblade wrote:There is an actual system that can determine what continuity each series belongs to and where each one fits into the overall Transformers multiverse and beyond. Every series that is part of the G1 continuity is given the designation of "Primax". Robots in Disguise continuity is called "Viron". The Unicron Triogy continuity of Armada, Energon, and Cybertron is "Aurex". The live action movies continuity is "Tyran". The Animated continuity is "Malgus". And many more designations are given to other, lesser continuities within the fiction.

:P That sounds like fancy book learnin'. :lol: :P

I didn't know that about the different designations, where'd you find out about them? What do the different names mean (if anything)?
"I will move away from here, you wont be afraid of fear" Nirvana
CYLON (13)

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:47 pm

CYLON (13) wrote:I will say this, though: I've been re-watching RiD on teh Youtube. And what I did not like before, I'm really enjoying now. Everything except how the cars can drive on the sides of buildings/bridges...that's a bit of jumping the SKYSHARK! Thank Yu! I'm here all week. ;)
The Spychangers can do that because they are ninjas.

CYLON (13) wrote:No, but RiD, If they would release it on home discs (or whatever) I'd get a boxset.
It's been released on DVD three times over in the UK (since they didn't have the Disney issue that the U.S. has). ;)

CYLON (13) wrote:I'm anxiously waiting to see what I'll think of the Unicron trilogy and Animated (if I can find 'em all) once I start that re-watch.
Why not just watch them online? The old DVD sets are very expensive (and Animated season 3 was never put on DVD).

CYLON (13) wrote:I'm not big of TF's in print, never really gave them a chance though. LOL, always wanted them on the telly. I'm going to get the first novel (Exiles, I believe) and check out a few comics. I guess, I'll let you fellas know what I think of the experience.
Exodus comes first. Then Exiles.

Though, you're really missing out on not reading the comics.

CYLON (13) wrote: :P That sounds like fancy book learnin'. :lol: :P

I didn't know that about the different designations, where'd you find out about them? What do the different names mean (if anything)?
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Universal_stream

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:48 am

ok i know i got my skid plate handed to me the last time i threw this out there but this has gottin geewunner written all over it
ironrod prime

Postby Wing Saber » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:49 pm

I'll take this as an opportunity to give my opinion on each series

G1 - First two seasons were good. They were interesting, and set the foundations for future generations of Transformers. The Movie was incredible. Seasons 3 and ESPECIALLY 4 were crap.

BW - Wonderful series. A nice mix of epicosity and humorosity. Had some of the Greatest Transformers ever... DInobot, BW Megs, Waspy, Batmanta... I mean Depth Charge!

BM - At first it's a terrible series... but after you get past the animation and their terrible looks and that annoyance known as Nightscream, it's actually a really great series. Amazing plot. Megatron made this series as great as it is. Him and Tankox (Tankor/Rhinox)

RID - The first part of this show was terrible and boring. The only things that kept me watching were Sky-Byte and, when the Decepticons arrived, Scourge.
But, the last 8 or so episodes were amazing! They brought my opinion of the show up significantly.

Armada - As the first Transformers show I ever saw, it is a prized gem in my eyes. Despite the bad animation and annoying kids, it was a great show. Starscream's death was a very emotional moment...

Energon - This series had great potential, and a TON of great ideas, but it was just poorly executed. This show very much cripples the Unicron Trilogy as a whole...

Cybertron - My all time favorite show. Had amazing characters. Megs/Galvy was a great one, Soundwave, Vector Prime, Metroplex, Scourge, Starscream, and even Primus himself... It had an amzing plot... the only thing that hindered this show was it's continuity errors with Armada and Energon. If they had made this a standalone series, it would be significantly better... Though, on the topic of this thread, this show had many G1 references. Two examples are when Sideways has a stereo that looks EXACTLY like G1 Soundwave (Laserbeak included inside the glass), and when Primus (Or Vector Prime?) talks about the ancients and we see G1 Prime, Rodimus, Jazz, and Magnus. Vector Prime's death was very emotional... this was a wonderful show!

Animated - At first I was horrified by this show.... I couldn't stand it. But, I grew to like it. It's still my least favorite show, but it's really not that bad.

Prime - A decent show so far... I'll make a better judgement once the show is over!
Wing Saber

Postby DefCon13 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:58 pm

Wing Saber wrote:I'll take this as an opportunity to give my opinion on each series

G1 - First two seasons were good. They were interesting, and set the foundations for future generations of Transformers. The Movie was incredible. Seasons 3 and ESPECIALLY 4 were crap.

I agree with your feelings on Season 1 & Season 2...

Our discrepancies come with Season 3 ... There is a perceived overall lack of continuity within that Season in terms of storylines - since many episodes seemed chronologically random and unrelated ,but for a series which had episodes written by so many different people it was unique & still useful & more importantly relevant...The randomness of the entire season (3) reflected the various means by which the nomadic factions of Quintessons all tried and ultimately failed to retake Cybertron following their destruction of Quintessa.It also reflected the disarray of the Decepticons following their G1 movie defeat..That significance is in addition to Season 3 being the very foundation of Beast Wars (Especially the episode " Dweller In The Depths " which I believe sole handedly keeps Beast Wars & Beast Machines from losing accuracy & continuity from G1 ) In fact my biggest qualm with Season 3 is : After the way the majority of G1's mainstay Autobots were easily terminated by the Decepticons ,Season 3 reversed course and allowed the Decepticons to become little more than a comical band of losers ..That season could have used a credible threat to an insane and weakened Galvatron's leadership materialize (longer than the 30 seconds Starscream's returned to life lasted )to make the Decepticons regain that air of ruthless supremacy that somehow suddenly recurred for the lone Season 4 mini series ...Speaking of 'The Rebirth" .......

I also agree with you about "The Rebirth" aka Season 4 ..The rushed finale did no justice to the preceding seasons .. My feelings towards refusing to let go of G1 revolve around the haste that poor excuse for a " Season" was concluded with ..My primary reason for rejecting ANY Transformers Series which took place following Beast Machines is due to the vast window of opportunity for creativity following G1 " The Rebirth" and preceding Beast Wars Megatron's theft of the Golden disk... That very gap in U.S. programming is why I am loosely accepting of the Japanese Headmasters line ...There was at least some attempt to continue after Season 4 & I am disappointed at how US companies (even in recent times ) have yet to utilize that time period or the period following the reformatting of Cybertron that concluded Beast Machines ...It is as if the entire Universe moved on and left a great big hole ,where the advances in CGI animation would have allowed for some nice potential to be discovered...In my opinion even G1 continuity "filler " would have bested the majority of the "Unicron Trilogy" & TF Animated .....

I feel that if season 3 had been concluded with "Dark Awakening" and The Return of Optimus Prime been moved to begin Season 4 then they could have used the rebirth for a finale and allowed the development of the Season 3 loose ends many complained about .. I sound like a side seat driver know it all when in fact I am simply a disgruntled "geewunner" - who has good reason to long for more out of that continuity and the opening in its timeline...Developing Razorclaw & The Original Predacons further & transferring the story into a cloak & dagger style pursuit or a Predacon led last gasp at taking Cybertron would have tied up some of those loose ends & set up Beast Wars very well..The Depth Charge /Rampage story could have been woven in as well as a systematic hunt for Decepticon War Criminals.. .... :D LOL Ok Ill stop
Last edited by DefCon13 on Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DefCon13

Postby ironrod prime » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:17 pm

transtech would have been the next era of the g1 time line but it was scrapped in favor of rid(i think) one of hasbros biggest blunders in my opinion

as for what continuety i accept i accept them all this is some what backed up by the universe comics
ironrod prime

Postby Wing Saber » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:59 pm

DefCon13 wrote:..My primary reason for rejecting ANY Transformers Series which took place following Beast Machines is due to the vast window of opportunity for creativity following G1

Here I agree and disagree. While I do think Hasbro should have explored After BM, I do not agree with the rejecting of other series because of this. Just because there is more that could be done with G1 doesn't instantly make the other series terrible.
DefCon13 wrote:In my opinion even G1 continuity "filler " would have bested the majority of the "Unicron Trilogy"
... My turn.
Armada, for the first time since G1, brought back the classic struggle between the 'Bots and 'Cons, while throwing in a new factor... the minicons. While many hate the minicons and are annoyed by them, I must ask... why? They mix things up, and give the Transformers a real reason to fight, rather than pulling the "energy" card like G1 and RID. The Decepticons fighting to get the edge to destroy the Autobots and conquer Cybertron, and the Autobots fighting to free the Minicons from the Decepticons.
Then comes Unicron. His first rebirth since G1, Unicron first appears as a sly, sneaky, and manipulating villain. Just when the war seems to start to dwindle, he rekindles it via his avatar Sideways and feeds on the hate. Then they did something new... The Autobots and Decepticons... joining forces to defeat him... and yet again, the brought another twist... Galvatron sacrafices himself to destroy Unicron, a noble end.

The only things that brought this show down were the animation and the annoying children
The animation was not that bad... Certainly better than G1, and barely behind that of RID... FAR better than Animated, which everyone loves
The children are the biggest failure of the show... they are annoying and do not help whatsoever...

I don't have time to continue now, so I'll hit Energon and Cybertron later
Wing Saber

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:25 pm

I'll just point out that the G1 cartoon may have made a big contribution to the lore, but it wasn't the original lore. The G1 Marvel Comics came several months ahead of the cartoon, and even outlived the cartoon by at least three or four years. ;)

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Next

Return to Transformers - Cartoon Discussion