Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

What frustrated me most about G1

TF:Prime, Animated, Beast Wars, G1, you name it!

Re: What frustrated me most about G1

Postby cyberwuss » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:11 pm

Sabrblade wrote:What are you trying to get at? I feel like you're just going in circles saying the same things over and over again. Just what point are you trying to get across?

That G1 Transformers series was by far the most top quality "advertising for a toyline" tie in show in history... especially considering Gobots and Pokemon.
Also, I am only going in circles because of those who deem it as only an infomercial with no plot, I know some people are Geewunners, I am trying to find the term for what people who like BW too much would be called if they have a term for them like Geewunner.

It seems to me, whatever toon anyone grew up on they tend to be somewhat in that "Geewunner" or "BWer" category of whatever show they grew up on the most... unless the one they had at the time was completely nonsense, like some of early Energon and late Cybertron from Unicron trilogy.

Those series did have a few high points, but lets face it once they got to Vector Prime dying in Cybertron there wasn't much left.

Also, saying that BW had its share of filler episodes unrelated to the overall plot, and it seemed like some episode plots had already been covered in earlier shows.

Mostly talking about season 1 before Starscream's ghost ever showed up.

The formula tended to be: Predacon(s) attack makes random Maximal(s) go haywire or cripple in someway, rest of episode is devoted to recovering some kind of antidote or other cure to fix it.

I'm not saying all of BW is bad, but there were definitely repeating or unrelated plots in the first 20 eps or so of the show.

Also, I'm just noting a few things about the topic, that were already being discussed. I've only repeated myself as many times as you have :p

There are alot more posts from you about how great BW is than there are from anyone else around here about how great G1 is, I just thought I would bring some balance lol.

EDIT:

Also, everything after G1, would have never happened including BW, without G1 itself to pave the way for it.

People crying about character development in TV shows that are generally free to watch on OTA broadcast is mostly a very recent thing, like starting in the mid 90s.

There were not only lots of cartoons that were worse than G1, but plenty of live action series as well were alot lamer than G1 even in character developing.
The coward desires revenge but being afraid to die, he looks to others, maybe to the government of the day, to do the work of defense for him.
cyberwuss

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:50 pm

Can you please say your point without walls of text? (I'm on vacation now, so I've little chances to read whole big walls of text)
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby cyberwuss » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:53 pm

Sabrblade wrote:Can you please say your point without walls of text? (I'm on vacation now, so I've little chances to read whole big walls of text)

I was mostly defending G1, and taking the side of new forum member OptimusPhillip, to help him protect his standpoint that most of the TF characters in G1, really didn't need "backstory" more than what they had. Some of that can be left to the imagination (when the audience has one.)

It's not my fault you are on vacation :p

EDIT: Also, that is not a wall of text... this is: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1003
The coward desires revenge but being afraid to die, he looks to others, maybe to the government of the day, to do the work of defense for him.
cyberwuss

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:22 pm

I'm not saying G1 was bad. Just that it was of a much lower standard compared to shows of today due to the standards of its time. It's primary goal was to sell toys while also telling a good (not great, not bad, but good) story. At best, it's a harmless feature that was the pinnacle of American children's cartoon entertainment of its time, but at the same time was still, at its core, a marketing tool. An exceptional one that went beyond some of its fellow 80's cartoons, but a marketing tool no less. It was good, not bad, not great, but good. Could it have been worse? Totally! But was there also room for improvement? Certainly. Was there a greater need for more backstory material? Not necessarily back then. But would it have still helped? Yes. G1 wasn't terrible, nor was it flawless. It was just an above average 80s cartoon used to sell product and was also entertaining at the same time. It wasn't bad, wasn't great, could have been worse, could have been better, it is what it is. :smile:

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby ironrod prime » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:34 pm

im with blade on this one g1 was basicly a 30 minute comercial to sell the toys ok there were some great episodes but overal the quota stands compared to other shows like beastwars and prime g1 just doesnt hold up
ironrod prime

Postby starry* *night » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:44 pm

I haven't watched the episodes enough times to be frustrated with anything in them .

But just as discussion if I'm counting right season 3 had 27 different writers and I have to wonder how much plot coordination could go on under circumstances like that ?

certainly the most frustrating thing possible about G1 would be killing off Optimus
Don't change any of those front doors.
starry* *night

Postby ironrod prime » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:30 pm

i think that was more upsetting than iritating me personaly i think that it was rather fitting
ironrod prime

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:49 pm

Considering how tons of children were traumatized by his death, yeah, I'd say killing off Prime as arbitrarily as they did was a pretty poor move, toy sales be darned.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Wing Saber » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:53 am

starry* *night wrote:certainly the most frustrating thing possible about G1 would be killing off Optimus

For me it's bringing him back. Twice, nonetheless. I loved Optimus Prime, but it made his entire death in the movie meaningless. And same goes for his sacrifice in Dark Awakening.
Wing Saber

Postby Sabrblade » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:26 am

Wing Saber wrote:
starry* *night wrote:certainly the most frustrating thing possible about G1 would be killing off Optimus

For me it's bringing him back. Twice, nonetheless. I loved Optimus Prime, but it made his entire death in the movie meaningless. And same goes for his sacrifice in Dark Awakening.
In a way, his death in the film pretty much was meaningless since, from a storytelling point, he really didn't need to die. While many have a problem with him dying in the film, many others take issue with how is death was handled. He was literally offed within the first 20 minutes and cast aside like yesterday's newspaper. Had there not been a need to sell new toys, he probably wouldn't have been taken out as arbitrarily as he was. A more fitting death would have been for him to go out in a blaze of glory nearer to the film's third act. I know that sounds cliche, but this was the 1980s, where cliches were still being written.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers - Cartoon Discussion