Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Prime Ultra Magnus already seen?

TF:Prime, Animated, Beast Wars, G1, you name it!

Prime Ultra Magnus already seen?

Postby Wing Saber » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:21 am

In Orion Pax Part 2, when Optimus looks himself up on the Decepticon Database, a fake image of Optimus shows up. This image looks very, VERY similar to a cybertronian version of the upcoming Ultra Magnus toy. Could this be a sneak peak of Ultra Magnus?
Wing Saber

Re: Prime Ultra Magnus already seen?

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:44 am

It's still meant to be Optimus since it was put under an "Optimus Prime" profile.

Only the head looks similar, as the body looks different (and this show's been too cheap to redesign Cybertronian bodies to look distinct from their Earth bodies, so it's probably a made-up body design).

Either way, this supposed Easter egg needs to be explained.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Wing Saber » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:47 pm

Sabrblade wrote:It's still meant to be Optimus since it was put under an "Optimus Prime" profile.

That means nothing. Soundwave could have put an image of Ultra Magnus under the Optimus Prime profile to fool Orion
Sabrblade wrote:Only the head looks similar, as the body looks different (and this show's been too cheap to redesign Cybertronian bodies to look distinct from their Earth bodies, so it's probably a made-up body design).

The body looks similar, too, like a cybertronian version of the Earth body
Besides, if you're going to make up a design, why not have it be a design you'll use later in the show?
Wing Saber

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:23 pm

Wing Saber wrote:That means nothing. Soundwave could have put an image of Ultra Magnus under the Optimus Prime profile to fool Orion
Yet, Orion recognized it as himself (How can I be Optimus Prime?").

Wing Saber wrote:The body looks similar, too, like a cybertronian version of the Earth body
I just said that this show never makes Cybertronian bodies that look different from Earth bodies, so it can't be one.

Wing Saber wrote:Besides, if you're going to make up a design, why not have it be a design you'll use later in the show?
It's a crude wireframe rendition, not a complete CG render.

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby cyberwuss » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:33 pm

Sabrblade wrote:
Wing Saber wrote:That means nothing. Soundwave could have put an image of Ultra Magnus under the Optimus Prime profile to fool Orion
Yet, Orion recognized it as himself (How can I be Optimus Prime?").

Wing Saber wrote:The body looks similar, too, like a cybertronian version of the Earth body
I just said that this show never makes Cybertronian bodies that look different from Earth bodies, so it can't be one.

Wing Saber wrote:Besides, if you're going to make up a design, why not have it be a design you'll use later in the show?
It's a crude wireframe rendition, not a complete CG render.

Actually the cybertron version of Optimus is shown in the flashback of Optimus and Megatron's origin in the last episode of season 1.
Orion only recognized it as himself after it was descrambled.
The wireframe might be based on concept art since they have used it in the show before, like in the previously mentioned flashback.
The coward desires revenge but being afraid to die, he looks to others, maybe to the government of the day, to do the work of defense for him.
cyberwuss

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:34 pm

cyberwuss wrote:Actually the cybertron version of Optimus is shown in the flashback of Optimus and Megatron's origin in the last episode of season 1.
That was hand-drawn. All other CG animated flashbacks just recycle the existing Earth mode bodies.

Sabrblade
Site Admin

Postby Wing Saber » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:03 pm

Sabrblade wrote:I just said that this show never makes Cybertronian bodies that look different from Earth bodies, so it can't be one.

The cybertronian version of Optimus is shown. Why not Magnus?
Wing Saber

Postby cyberwuss » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:36 pm

Sabrblade wrote:
cyberwuss wrote:Actually the cybertron version of Optimus is shown in the flashback of Optimus and Megatron's origin in the last episode of season 1.
That was hand-drawn. All other CG animated flashbacks just recycle the existing Earth mode bodies.

That doesn't change the fact that it could be Ultra Magnus, since the wireframe on the screen could also and most likely is hand drawn. Also the hand drawn cybertronian Optimus was originally going to be turned into a CG form as mentioned on the commentary for that episode on the season 1 dvd, they just had too many deadlines to meet and didn't have time to finish it all the way. Just because the image appeared on a screen in the 3d cgi doesn't mean it isn't hand drawn either, since images can easily be imported to 3d as textures for the cg models.

EDIT: also there are only about two other times that would matter for the point of using earth mode bodies: arcee + tailgate flashback when airachnid offs tailgate, and wheeljack in space trying to hunt dreadwing. We have seen Megatron a few other times in flashbacks, but considering he doesn't have an Earth alt mode he is probably still his cybertron robot mode as well.
The coward desires revenge but being afraid to die, he looks to others, maybe to the government of the day, to do the work of defense for him.
cyberwuss

Postby ironrod prime » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:49 pm

if it was magnus then orion would have made a referance to him kinda like how armada starscream made a referance armada thundercracker
ironrod prime

Postby cyberwuss » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:09 pm

ironrod prime wrote:if it was magnus then orion would have made a referance to him kinda like how armada starscream made a referance armada thundercracker

Not necessarily... In this series Ultra Magnus is part of an Autobot Black Ops unit... which means his missions are secret... Also Wheeljack didn't know Optimus very well when we were first introduced to him in this series, especially considering that he was untrusting of him and Bulkhead had to vouch for Optimus. Which leads one to believe that Optimus doesn't personally know all the Autobots in the present... and since his memory was wiped to Orion Pax state, he probably never knew about a Black Ops guy back then when he was really Orion Pax.

EDIT: What I mean is... you have to remember that before he became Prime he was an archivist who didn't get out much. From the possibly related TF: Exodus novel we know that he knew Jazz and Alpha Trion when he was an archivist... and met Megatronus/Megatron towards the end of his time as Orion Pax. Most of the other Autobots and Decepticons though were introduced to him well after he became Prime.
cyberwuss

Next

Return to Transformers - Cartoon Discussion