Unicron.com: Transformers Collector Resource
Welcome to our forum! Login and introduce yourself!
-Lukis Bros & the Unicron.com community
(This message will self destruct once logged in.  :)

Am I seriously the only one watching this? What gives?

TF:Prime, Animated, Beast Wars, G1, you name it!

Re: Am I seriously the only one watching this? What gives?

Postby Sabrblade » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:34 pm

OptimusPhillip wrote:You're talking about Rescue Bots, right? Because that is not a proper Transformers cartoon, it's what you get when that one guy at marketing says "Hey, we have a wide audience, but we should widen it, we have 8-16-year-olds and (as the common man would call them) manchildren hooked, we should hook 3-7-year-olds! But we can't expose them to the violence that Transformers runs on, we'll super-deform the Autobots and turn them into "heroes" doing things that normal humans could do. That sounds dumb but we'll do anything to sell toys." That is why I don't watch Rescue Bots, if humans can do it themselves, why would you call on alien robots?
Among the many many MANY flaws in your argument, I'll respond to what I've put in bold.

They didn't.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
User avatar
Sabrblade
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8559
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:09 pm
Location: Tampa, FL

Re: Am I seriously the only one watching this? What gives?

Postby cyberwuss » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:48 am

OptimusPhillip wrote:You're talking about Rescue Bots, right? Because that is not a proper Transformers cartoon, it's what you get when that one guy at marketing says "Hey, we have a wide audience, but we should widen it, we have 8-16-year-olds and (as the common man would call them) manchildren hooked, we should hook 3-7-year-olds! But we can't expose them to the violence that Transformers runs on, we'll super-deform the Autobots and turn them into "heroes" doing things that normal humans could do. That sounds dumb but we'll do anything to sell toys." That is why I don't watch Rescue Bots, if humans can do it themselves, why would you call on alien robots?


Rescue Bots is actually a great show if you don't mind the lack of fighting in it, otherwise it is awesome. I am still waiting for DVD release to catch up on season 1 again but I did see about half of season 1 and it deserves to be ranked with the better TF shows.

Marketing never makes huge decisions in regards to the design process. Marketing is just there to make commercials and such, the major designing of shows is still left to the core group or at least managed by the core group that does the other TF stuff.

Rescue Bots isn't the exact definition of "super deformed" that is more like what Kre-O is.

You implied here that the Rescue Bots should not be considered true heroes just because normal humans could do the job (yes a normal human could fly like Blades while lifting a huge cargo and do it all with perfect piloting skills just by flapping his arms lol) almost like you think it is because they are not violent fighters. In reply I must say that most that I consider heroes both in fiction and nonfiction weren't violent at all. Rescue missions might not involve destroying Decepticons but they are still dangerous and still have great value. For an analogy I will bring up September 11th WTC attacks... many people trained in nonviolent rescue missions went into WTC and never came out that day. Anyone who would classify firefighters, nurses, doctors, paramedics, and other related workers as not being heroes just because they don't fight is either misguided or not old enough to understand.

There are plenty of much lamer shows that are selling toys without the high quality of a kid's show like Rescue Bots. So I don't think the "just sell toys with a new show" argument holds much weight since they could have just run commercials for them during SpongeBob or some similar low quality show if they wanted to sell them easily.

Most of the human cast doesn't know about the Rescue Bots being aliens or that they are even smart, they consider them remote controlled, so the only ones who can really call on them for help are the main rescue team that lives in the station.

Lastly, even though you wouldn't know since you haven't watched. Shows like Rescue Bots mix safe for kids action like rescue work with educational concepts like simple science ideas and how to think about problem solving in an outside the box way. Transformers has always been about thinking outside the box to solve problems, but most of the time it was about battlefield solutions instead of scientific or puzzle solving ones. This is a show that focuses more on the educational nonfighting problems and there is nothing wrong with the way it is presented.

I think the only thing they could have possibly done to improve the show would be in the animation. The adobe illustrator style drawings are good enough, but if they really wanted to catch the imagination of a large audience they would use 3d cgi like TF: Prime.

Still, that said, there is nothing wrong with the show the way it is and many famous actors will agree... seeing as some of them are voice actors for the show.

I'm a bit busy now but if someone wants to compile a list of famous voice actors for the show and especially those that have contributed to educational stuff (example: Levar Burton and Reading Rainbow) feel free!
The coward desires revenge but being afraid to die, he looks to others, maybe to the government of the day, to do the work of defense for him.
User avatar
cyberwuss
 
Posts: 854
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:43 pm
Location: Greenpond, Alabama

Re: Am I seriously the only one watching this? What gives?

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:18 pm

cyberwuss wrote:Lastly, even though you wouldn't know since you haven't watched. Shows like Rescue Bots mix safe for kids action like rescue work with educational concepts like simple science ideas and how to think about problem solving in an outside the box way. Transformers has always been about thinking outside the box to solve problems, but most of the time it was about battlefield solutions instead of scientific or puzzle solving ones. This is a show that focuses more on the educational nonfighting problems and there is nothing wrong with the way it is presented.
This is the only part of your argument that could hurt it, as many see "educational shows" as being "lame".

And really, the amount of educational content in this show is only the bare minimum, as a good majority of is pure, non-nutritional, Saturday morning danger fun like any TF cartoon. :P

cyberwuss wrote:I'm a bit busy now but if someone wants to compile a list of famous voice actors for the show and especially those that have contributed to educational stuff (example: Levar Burton and Reading Rainbow) feel free!
It's mostly just LeVar Burton and Tim (freakin'!) Curry. The rest are mostly just "well known" voice actors, but not "famous" big name actors like those two. ;)

Either way, the familiar voices would be Maurice LaMarche, Jason Marsden, Lacey Chabert, Steve Blum, Peter Cullen, LeVar Burton, Jeff Glen Bennett, Kath Soucie, and of course Tim freakin' Curry!!! :grin:
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
User avatar
Sabrblade
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8559
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:09 pm
Location: Tampa, FL

Re: Am I seriously the only one watching this? What gives?

Postby cyberwuss » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:42 pm

Sabrblade wrote:
cyberwuss wrote:Lastly, even though you wouldn't know since you haven't watched. Shows like Rescue Bots mix safe for kids action like rescue work with educational concepts like simple science ideas and how to think about problem solving in an outside the box way. Transformers has always been about thinking outside the box to solve problems, but most of the time it was about battlefield solutions instead of scientific or puzzle solving ones. This is a show that focuses more on the educational nonfighting problems and there is nothing wrong with the way it is presented.
This is the only part of your argument that could hurt it, as many see "educational shows" as being "lame".

And really, the amount of educational content in this show is only the bare minimum, as a good majority of is pure, non-nutritional, Saturday morning danger fun like any TF cartoon. :P

cyberwuss wrote:I'm a bit busy now but if someone wants to compile a list of famous voice actors for the show and especially those that have contributed to educational stuff (example: Levar Burton and Reading Rainbow) feel free!
It's mostly just LeVar Burton and Tim (freakin'!) Curry. The rest are mostly just "well known" voice actors, but not "famous" big name actors like those two. ;)

Either way, the familiar voices would be Maurice LaMarche, Jason Marsden, Lacey Chabert, Steve Blum, Peter Cullen, LeVar Burton, Jeff Glen Bennett, Kath Soucie, and of course Tim freakin' Curry!!! :grin:


Anyone who doesn't believe in the coolness of thinking outside the box and puzzle solving probably isn't into Transformers that much anyway, and can continue on their one track mind caveman style destiny since I won't be able to convince them otherwise anyway lol!
The coward desires revenge but being afraid to die, he looks to others, maybe to the government of the day, to do the work of defense for him.
User avatar
cyberwuss
 
Posts: 854
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:43 pm
Location: Greenpond, Alabama

Re: Am I seriously the only one watching this? What gives?

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:56 pm

cyberwuss wrote:Anyone who doesn't believe in the coolness of thinking outside the box and puzzle solving probably isn't into Transformers that much anyway, and can continue on their one track mind caveman style destiny since I won't be able to convince them otherwise anyway lol!
I meant by use of the term "educational" as that is a big turn off for a lot of people.

When some hear "educational shows", they think along the lines of PBS Kids or Nick Jr. and the like, which helps to fuel their disdains.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
User avatar
Sabrblade
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8559
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:09 pm
Location: Tampa, FL

Re: Am I seriously the only one watching this? What gives?

Postby ironrod prime » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:26 pm

Sabrblade wrote: disdains.

You mean delusions
Image
User avatar
ironrod prime
 
Posts: 2746
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:00 pm

Re: Am I seriously the only one watching this? What gives?

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:37 pm

ironrod prime wrote:
Sabrblade wrote: disdains.

You mean delusions
No, I mean "disdains".

I don't think it's imaginary when people dislike something, which is what I'd be implying if said "delusions" based on how my sentence is worded. :P
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
User avatar
Sabrblade
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8559
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:09 pm
Location: Tampa, FL

Re: Am I seriously the only one watching this? What gives?

Postby starry* *night » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:52 pm

But OptimusPhillip if it bothered you that other people were saying so many harsh criticisms of Sideswipe why would you want to say so many harsh criticisms of a whole cartoon?

I did not watch it at first because I had come in on the weather machineepisode and I don't like that plot device but I've seen em now
and I've been watching a couple cartoons that say good things for people to remember.
Image
Don't change any of those front doors.
User avatar
starry* *night
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:57 pm

Re: Am I seriously the only one watching this? What gives?

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:11 pm

Just remembered one more thing I wanted to ask:
OptimusPhillip wrote:You're talking about Rescue Bots, right? Because that is not a proper Transformers cartoon, it's what you get when that one guy at marketing says "Hey, we have a wide audience, but we should widen it, we have 8-16-year-olds and (as the common man would call them) manchildren hooked, we should hook 3-7-year-olds! But we can't expose them to the violence that Transformers runs on, we'll super-deform the Autobots and turn them into "heroes" doing things that normal humans could do. That sounds dumb but we'll do anything to sell toys." That is why I don't watch Rescue Bots, if humans can do it themselves, why would you call on alien robots?
Source?

Yes, I'm seriously asking for a source citiation on ALL of that. :P
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” -- C.S. Lewis
User avatar
Sabrblade
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8559
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:09 pm
Location: Tampa, FL

Re: Am I seriously the only one watching this? What gives?

Postby cyberwuss » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:46 am

I'm about to watch all of season 1 in the coming weeks, I'll probably be youtubeing 3 episodes a day, so wish me luck on getting caught up.

I really wanted them to release the DVD already but since they are straggling on that, my patience is worn out and I'm ready to catch up on RB with youtube!
The coward desires revenge but being afraid to die, he looks to others, maybe to the government of the day, to do the work of defense for him.
User avatar
cyberwuss
 
Posts: 854
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:43 pm
Location: Greenpond, Alabama

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers - Cartoon Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest